Best place to buy a foam mattress topper?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by 2beagle, Apr 28, 2018.

1. 2beagle

2beagle Member

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi--the hubs and I bought a secondhand pup from friends of ours a couple of years ago. It's about 20 years old, not in perfect condition, but suits our needs. However, we are ready to put a memory foam topper at least on our bed, because we're tired of feeling the plywood under our matress with our hip bones! Do we need to find a vendor that specializes in camper mattresses, or can we get a traditional mattress topper? Or does it not matter, so long as the measurements are correct? Where is your favorite place to get your toppers? Thanks!

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    You can buy them at Walmart. Measure the bunk and buy one that is at least that size. Lay the present mattress on the foam and mark with a felt tip marker. It's easy to cut with a bread knife.

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Measure you PUP mattress. Then, compare it to this handy "name" size guide to figure out if you have a twin, full, queen or king size. If it isn't exact, move to the next size UP. You may find, like mine, it was not QUITE a full, so we got a full and a little excess hung over, but it was nice to lean on.

https://www.us-mattress.com/mattress-size-information.html

We've bought several. One at Wal-Mart, which was the cheapest and one we used in the PUP, then the one for the home was at Costco, which was a high end topper. The one we just put in the TT is a middle of the road memory foam topper we got at Fred Meyer. Where you get it isn't as important as getting the size right, and figuring out your budget and IF you can leave it on and still latch your roof closed.

We could NOT leave our foam topper on our bunk, which made for an extra step and thing that had to be put in place when we set up. Our roof was very tight.

4. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

I would suggest adding in the exercise (or anti-fatigue) quares under the mattress. I got ours from Sam's Club. It takes one package per bunk.

5. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

What size bunks do you have. I am thinking about putting these under our mattresses. We have one king and one full. Are these the ones you used?

@2beagle - cut foam with an electric knife.

6. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

We have queen and full bunks.

Orchid likes this.
  7. NMroamer

NMroamer Active Member

Apr 21, 2016
    Albuquerque NM
    We got ours at Target after shopping at other stores.

8. DanLee

DanLee Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Virginia
    We bought a 1.5" thick firm foam topper for our 1991 Columbia and put it under the mattress. It keeps our hip bones from hitting the plywood. We only did one side because our grandchildren don't weigh enough to compress the mattress on the other side! We got the piece from buyfoam.com. They will cut it to a specified size, so measure yours and order that. We can still close the camper with the foam in place, but I don't think it could be any thicker.

9. Chloe

Chloe Member

Jun 16, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I’m pretty sure I bought the queen size 3” Therapure one from CostCo for about $99. Only slept on it for 4 nights but it was nice. Reviews said it smelled bad for a long time, but it dissipated quickly for us. Our ALiner bed is slightly smaller than queen but I didn’t need to trim it.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    We got ours from Wally World 3" put on top of the mattress in the TT. made a bid difference as the mattress on the bed was hard as a rock.

11. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Older thread but I'd buy on Amazon like I buy almost everything else anymore. It comes to your door and you don't have to deal with people at Wal Mart.