Best product/process for mold mildew

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by greg Huff, Apr 14, 2019 at 8:56 AM.

1. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

Hello I just purchased a 99 StarCraft galaxy. That needs a few repairs. I've refinished the roof and ceiling now it's time to clean up the canvas where the leak was. It's not terrible but when it's folded up it looks bad what is the best product/process/homemade solution for cleaning this canvas. Thanks IMG_20190309_110516722_HDR.jpg

2. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

Miracle Mist is awesome, it worked for me when bleach, vinegar, and other products wouldn't. It needs to be rinsed off. I used a garden hose in applicable areas and my carpet/upholstery cleaner to rinse in the top/inside of bunks. It truly was a miracle product.

3. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

Thanks for the reply! Are you saying that you use it as a last resort or are you using it on a regular basis?

4. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

When we first bought our camper we had a small area of mold stains. I always thought that bleach/water was the go to for mold but I was worried that it might damage the material so I read that vinegar works and is less damaging. So I tried the vinegar,....nope. Then I tried the bleach... it barely touched it. I tried a marine mold remover from Bass pro and it worked a bit better than the bleach but still...nope. It was a small area, just stained so I decided to just leave it as is. Fast forward to our last camping trip, we had a eyebolt break on a lift cable, the roof twisted when we lifted the top, broke the seam in the roof ( we didn't realize) and water got in. When we finally got around to opening up the camper to fix the cable, there was a HUGE mold problem on the back bunk canvas. I already knew that bleach, water, and the other stuff would not work so I looked around and found the Miracle Spray at walmart. I was astonished!!! I sprayed it on, no scrubbing, stared at it and in about a minute, the mold started to just fade away. I was like "omg!" It even took out the light stain from before that has been there for a couple years.

5. Jess n JJ Julian

Jess n JJ Julian Member

15552556317076155848045143640649.jpg

6. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

Awesome thanks! I'll look for some I can pickup locally.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

There was a thread not too long ago - I think they were fixing up a Jayco, and they used Starbrite mold/mildew remover as I recall. I think it is the same stuff that Bass Pro sells under their own brand. It is marketed mostly to the boat crowd, but Walmart does sell it as well. I just picked up a bottle for $6.88 this week to try and fix some issues on my awning.

8. Sharont

Sharont New Member

Greg we are new camper owners and our 1995 Coleman Utah had a leak from the ac with the previous owner. There is ceiling damage. Did you have a ac unit to remove and if so how did you get it out?

9. whitelabrat

whitelabrat New Member

Coleman recommended X14 or alternatively a 50/50 water bleach solution. I haven't had the opportunity to try it out, but soon.

10. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

I removed my ac unit and rebuilt my entire ceiling took me about 3 weeks a couple hours at a time for the entire project I've posted pictures at the album on this site. my 99 StarCraft galaxy but I'm not sure how to link it to this part

11. greg Huff

greg Huff New Member

To remove my ac unit was really easy. Unplug and disconnect the power source. 4 screws to remove the shroud. 2 electrical plugs between the panel and the outside unit. And 4 really really long bolts that sandwich the ceiling between the inside panel and the outside ac unit. Then I lowered the top and laid 4x4 lumber accross the top. Lifted the outside unit on to the lumber and slid it to the side of the camper and had a buddy help lift it off.