Best security for your popup?

Discussion in 'Campsite Security & Safety' started by brianDwilson71, Aug 27, 2015.

1. brianDwilson71

brianDwilson71 The Great Outdoors

Aug 12, 2015
    I was just looking to get a good lock for my popup. I have a surge brake system and a regular lock does not fit on the latch. I also saw some lock system that covers the area the ball goes into. Then I have seen a boot type lock for the rims. I could lock it to the tree with a chain. I know if someone wants something bad enough they will get it but what is the best determent that you know of?

Thank you,
    Brian

2. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    The boot and an insurance policy go hand in hand.

3. egapylime

egapylime Member

Jun 2, 2014
    We have a padlock on the hitch, that's about it. To be honest, I'm surprised our battery hasn't been stolen yet, though most of our crimes around here involve kids and they wouldn't know what to do with it probably.

Even when camping, and even with a tv and dvd player in the camper, I never lock it. I'd rather have someone walk in and walk out with my stuff than rip my canvas. Plus, even if you lock it, all they have to do is undo the velcro and reach in and unlock it anyway. It's insured just in case.

4. edh

edh Active Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Chaining campers to objects usually isn't practical. A hitch lock will deter most thieves and they'll discover it right away. Ditto for a wheel clamp I'd imagine, i have no experience with those but am guessing they aren't easy to apply and remove.

For interior security, a locked door may deter some of the campground kids who are trolling for cash or ipods but not real thieves. If it's important to me I keep it well hidden in the tow vehicle--cash, meds, electronics. I dont have any but i might throw a locking cable on pricey accessories.

I have never heard of problems with set-up popups themselves being stolen. Have any of you?

5. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Old ackpacker likes this.
  6. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Jun 26, 2012
    Wylie, Texas
    I just started using a heavy duty 6 ft long bike lock. Run it through the rim and wrap around the axle a few times then lock. With the amount of noise somebody would make trying to saw through it with a Sawzall I'm sure someone would hear them. Could they just remove the wheel quietly with a good 4 way? Sure, but what are the odds they happen to have a spare wheel and tire laying around. Also they'd be dragging a wheel and tire behind them the whole way home, which I'd like to hope is a giant red flag for law enforcement. To add to my don't stay stuff madness, I also have the ball type reese hitch lock, as well as the coupler lock. I had my battery stolen once, and I wish so bad I would have been there to see who they were. It would not have been a pretty scene, not something to speak of in a family style place. Can you tell I don't like thieves?

7. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    I have a retired neighbor across the road. Nothing happens on my street that he isn't aware of. [:D]

8. joelmyer

joelmyer Member

Dec 28, 2012
    I don't worry about it on the road. Don't lock door or hitch. I was a little concerned the night I spent in a motel (117 degrees!)

For the winter I remove spare tire, battery, propane tank and awning and put it up on jack stands. Not for security but that makes it harder to steal.

There was a long thread here that ended: "Nobody is going to steal your pup, they want the hog haulers with the hogs inside."

9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We've used a hitch lock pin on both pups and the TT. On the road, the locking pin is extra assurance that we actually have the coupler locked down, keeps the "mischievous" person from messing with it while parked, and makes it less likely that the coupler can open up on the road. (When I drove over a dead deer with the first pup, the pup bounced, but the coupler stayed latched.)
    We use a lock on the draw bar for the same reasons.
    At home, we use the hitch lock and keep the stabs down. On the Cobalt pup, the stabs were about a 1/4" from touching the ground, so we could put them down after cranking the roof up. On the TT, we leave them down, so things are solid when I need to get inside.
    When we first bought the Cobalt, we cabled it to a tree next to the driveway, but decided that was overkill. If someone was really determined and came equipped, they could cut the tree down or cut the cable.
    The batteries and LP tanks are locked and cabled together, since those would be somewhat easy to steal on impulse. (Now that we've switched to the two 6v batteries, the set-up is so tight that is more difficult.)