Best Tiny Bug Defense

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by Thewaymans, May 30, 2016.

1. Thewaymans

Thewaymans New Member

Apr 27, 2016
    We went out this past weekend, and while it was too hot (Florida camping) to let the windows down at night, I noticed hundreds of bugs between our pop up (2011 Niagara) and the screen mesh itself. I'm certain ok with a bug or two, but this would have place very little difference compared to simply staying outside.

I've check the screens for any tears, and having been an RV owner in the past I don't recall this, and certainly never with any tents we've owned. Has anyone else encountered this, and done any mods with reasonable success (save waiting to camp in the cooler months)?

2. blackbear

blackbear We want to do this for a living !!!

Jul 19, 2012
    Assuming they entered through the screen mesh, try spraying the exterior with repellant. The other suggestion I would have is ALL lights inside and near the entrance after dusk.

3. JRnTrixie

JRnTrixie New Member

Apr 24, 2016
    Are you talking about no see ums? They may be called something different in FL. Nasty little things with a big bite. We actually cut a camping trip short because they were so bad, in and out of the pop up. Like you, I couldn't find anywhere they could've been getting into except through the mesh. Neither of us remembered ever encountering them like that before. After 2 days (trip was supposed to be a week) Jason's legs looked like he had the measles he had so many bites and we were both beyond miserable so we headed home the next morning.

We had the same issue when we returned home too, couldn't stay outside they were so bad. We tried outdoor foggers, different types of repellent (some with deet, some with none), homemade repellents, citronella candles, coils, and everything we could find that claimed to be the best at repelling them. All that experimenting and nothing worked except the passing of their season.

http://ucanr.edu/blogs/blogcore/postdetail.cfm?postnum=10473

4. LisaG

LisaG New Member

Feb 18, 2017

5. ArkansasDon

ArkansasDon Member

Mar 7, 2018
    part of camping is the insects. Their is no 100% guarantee against them. What works well for us is camping in areas certain times of the year. We only disperse camp so were out in the thick of mother nature places were most do not go. Summer times were camping on ridge lines were wind or breezy conditions help with against bugs along with a Thermacell & Repel Lemon Eucalyptus insect repellent. Camp fire with smoke works to wart off bugs to a point. Their is no guarantee against biting insects.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Only thing I found to help is keeping all lights off on the inside of the camper unless everyone is inside for the night and no more opening the door. I also keep the outside light off by the door as that just calls them over like a beacon. I do not spray anything on the camper as I'm afraid it would interfear with the waterproofing of the tenting. Not much else you can do to keep the bugs away from the camper I'm afraid. I use cutranella candles but that doesn't do any good for some bugs. It's inevitable that some bugs are bound to find their way in.

7. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Try stuffing 1-2 inch foam pieces in each corner of the roof between the curtain and the wall. I stopped those up awhile ago and it helped tremendously.

8. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I use 4 of these smudge pots filled with citronella oil to help keep them away and a Coleman lantern to catch & kill the brave ones.
    [​IMG]

9. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I use military screening, it is much smaller than regular screening. Also dryer sheets is supposed to help, just rub it on your skin use regular only not scented.
    BTW: the little flying teeth do not bite, they excrete an acid on the skin and then lick the dissolved skin. That is where the itching comes in. A Park Ranger informed me of this at Canaveral State Park years ago.They were s bad we had paddled out to one of the island campsites, they were so bad that we did not even try to cook and begged fr sunlight to come so we could depart the island. Good Luck and Happy Camping

10. Lanternman

Lanternman Active Member

Aug 17, 2017
    Mooresville NC

Kinda fun watching bugs cook in an old Coleman, isnt it?[LOL] The old Dietz style wick lanterns run great on Tiki/citronella which helps too. Never thought about dumping some in the smudge pots, but gonna try it this season!

jnc likes this.