Bike Rack - Palomino Popup Pony 280 - year 2010

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by aardvark, Mar 14, 2019 at 9:30 AM.

Tags:
  1. aardvark

aardvark Member

Does anyone have a popup like I have, or one form the same family or similar construction? (I think many or most of the Forest River models have similar construction).

The roof is all fiberglass, and I don't want to drill into it

The tow vehicle is a 2013 Subaru Forester. It would be tough to squeeze anything in between the tow hitch and the tongue. The roof of the car usually has as many as three whitewater kayaks when I go some place, so I'd prefer not to have a car roof mount if possible. I could move the kayaks to the camper roof, and tie them on top, but the roof mount works better, and once i arrive, will carry the kayaks on the car roof.

I saw a spare tire bike rack listed, and am not sure how well these work. Here's one example:
    https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-8002599-SpareRide/dp/B0171A6MSU?tag=gearingout-20&psc=1

Does anyone have experience with these, and if so, what model/manufacturer do you prefer?

Does anyone have another alternative?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Anything added to the back of the pup will reduce the tongue weight and induce sway. Only way to counter act the sway would be to add the same amount of weight to the tongue, which will increase your tongue weight and any weight added to the pup will increase its weight (and at the sametime lowering it's CCC) .

3. aardvark

aardvark Member

Will a rack like this plus a 30 pound bike be significant, or not? Will two bikes (60-70 pounds plus the rack weight) induce sway?

4. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yes..

5. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

It looks cool, but would it leave you enough room to still carry the spare tire back there? If you try it, you can just move all your heavy stuff that you normally carry in the pup forward to counterbalance (like a full cooler).

6. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

The spare tire on most pups is just bolted to the wall and most likely wouldn’t support the weight of bikes. I’d be really worried about it ripping right off the back of the pup.

Your best option is probably to mount the bike on the roof of the TV and squeeze as many kayaks as possible on there too and put the rest on the pup. You could always upgrade to longer cross bars and maybe fit it all on the TV.

7. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 New Member

How about front mount tow hitch for your car... then put a bike rack on that.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

There was a post I saw on here where someone bolted bikeracks on a long piece of wood or two. That expanded across the roof and was strapped down by ratchet straps and another strap through the back tires of the bikes. I have not tried it myself but it looked promising. Check out the bike rack section I believe you may find that thread. Bikes over the camper tires will be the safest. If you are able to keep the pressure points on the edges of the camper that would help as well.