Bill of sale

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by sblanck, Feb 23, 2019.

1. sblanck

sblanck Member

Anyone here when they sold their pup what bill of sale did you use?

Thanks

2. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

A signed piece of paper stating the cost and that it was sold to me. I also had the signed title too. Some states like Pennsylvania will require you to get a temp tag and have the bill of sale notarized.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Check your dmv .Some have one that they require. Others are satisfied with the sellers signature on the title transfer form.

4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

A clear title which is assigned to new owner (on the back side)and also acts as a bill of sale. and the license plate signed over the the new owner which also acts as a bill of sale. this is for Fl. and the only state I am familiar with

5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Date, name of buyer and seller, seller address, amount of transaction, description with make, model, year and VIN. Both parties sign with a copy for both.

I also have it notarized since my state requires the title notarized. So why not notarize when we both go to the bank.

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Since I bought my pup in Wisconsin from a private party and I am a resident of Minnesota, I made my own bill of sale and had the seller sign it. See attached pdf below.

If I didn't have the bill of sale, I would not have been able to transfer the title.

Attached Files:

sblanck likes this.
  7. sblanck

sblanck Member

Well once again the super interested party played the "I only have x amount of dollars" ploy. So he isnt coming now. I have my Williamsburg listed for 4000.00 which per NADA is under. I guess its just in people's DNA to try to pay nearly nothing. One guy asked me to just give it to him.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Some states , require the registration card also. Al9ng with a notarized bill of sale and the title. This is for nj.

9. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

I know that this subject has been brought upon this forum many times. This is just my stern opinion. I'm a VA resident and I would never ever consider a vehicle, camper, trailer, etc with a bill of sale. Even if I were a resident of a state that excepts a bill of sale...I would not. Again this is my opinion. Show me the title. Any Yahoo can produce a bill of sale.

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I had a problem with mine, without the registration. I had a bill of sale and a title. Wothout the previous owners registration, i would have had to go through the abondoned property cycle. This consisted of, title search, notarized affidavits from 3 neighbors that the property is and has been in my care for a certian abount of days (60?), newspaper ads trying to find the previous owners as well as stating i was going to take possession of said property in 30 days, police reports stating such, what a pita. Thank god they found the registration. Or it would have cost me time and more $$$$ .

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

When I sold my boat, we used a form that was available on the State of Kansas website.

If your state doesn't have one, a Google search should provide several forms that you could use. [:)C]

12. joet

joet Well-Known Member

In WV the DMV wants a title. A title filled out on the back. Without a title, you won't get anything.

13. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

In California, we have to have the title to change ownership. But we have to have a bill of sale to show what we paid. Most folks just write it out on a piece of paper and both sign it. It goes to the buyer to use when transferring the trailer - yearly vehicle tax (part of yearly registration) is based on sale price not original price.

14. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I didn’t take the OP to be about registering it or using a bill of sale in place of a title. You shouldn’t buy it is they don’t have a title for it. I see a bill of sale as details surrounding the sale, like a receipt.

@Sjm9911 I have to say that sounds pretty draconian if you have a properly transferred title. I guess they have some convoluted reason.

15. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Again IMO.....thats so wrong on many, many levels. That's California. One could write in $1.00 for a $1k value. I'm just saying. So so wrong.

16. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

People fudge a bit on the numbers, but rarely extreme. If you buy a 2015 Newmar deisel pusher and show a receipt for $1, it WILL be questioned. If you buy a 1979 popup and show a receipt for $200, it will fly through.

17. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

I agree.

18. sblanck

sblanck Member

I have registration a clean title so some generic bill of sale I am unsure what people would want with it but whatever.

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I would always want a title and a bill of sale. Title must be notarized.

Depending on state what ever the state requires. If buying out of state I call my DMV to find out what I need from the state I'm buying it in. Example. My state if sold in state and re-titled in state requires a notarized title at minimum. But when I bought a trailer in mississippi. My state of ohio DMV said because it was mississippi title that I needed a signed title and it did not need to be notarized. I had it Notarized any why. I believe what ever the state you are buying

Last edited: Feb 24, 2019
  20. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Idaho titles have a bill of sale on the back to be filled out & signed, a separate bill of sale, along with the signed title works too. The plates stay with the PO unless transferred...it's less hassle to just get new plates when the new owner registers the vehicle, trailer, etc.