Black tank spilled on concrete in garage - HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Kati "Chirp" Blackledge, Dec 1, 2018.

1. Kati "Chirp" Blackledge

Kati "Chirp" Blackledge New Member

OH MY GOSH, just an hour ago, my husband, a plumber, of all things, went to dump the black tank into a bucket. The force was way harder and faster than he expected, and it splashed a lot onto the floor around the bucket. The stench is beyond unbelievable. Anyway, I used a trick I have used before - baking soda with vinegar. We covered the area. Let it sit, and now after he has mopped it up, it still stinks very badly. WHAT, if anything, have you done to alleviate the stench? He tried Simple Green, too. That didn't work at all. I think he is going to have to take the trailer out, power wash the floor, but there has to be something else...???Please help me help him. He is so bummed.
    BTW, I don't think this is the correct category, but I couldn't find one that was like what I wanted... I saw the word Blunders and that brought me here. I am looking to see if I can find a better place to post this to get some help.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    HappyTraveler and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I find mortar mix soaks up stuff quick. Just keep pushing it around to keep fresh mix on the spill. If it just sits there, it can harden and then has to be scrapped up.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Bleach solution and a day or two of open air

HappyTraveler and BillyMc like this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

X2

5. Kati "Chirp" Blackledge

Kati "Chirp" Blackledge New Member

OK so we just now put like a gallon of straight simple green and let it sit, (he says thats what they use to clean up hazmat sites at work) and its been power washed with hot and cold water. I can still smell it - that concrete unsealed 50 year old garage floor soaked it up fast! OK next we will try bleach solution. Thanks. That mortar mix sounds interesting too. I will tell him about both. Thanks so much. I can't believe it's my first day on this board and this happens. We have had toy haulers and trailers and motorhomes for 20 years and he has NEVER had this happen. Such a drag.

6. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Was the tank sitting for a while with 'substance' in it?

Do you use any chemicals in the black tank to help break things down from use to dump?

And best bet is bleach water and let it sit. Ensure you get all the walls and any other splatter spots.

An odor absorbing cat litter worked into the cement may help get rid of anything left in the cracks and such.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm with the others of bleach and airing out. Between two dogs and cats I get some pretty ugly messes and a bleach solution and airing out does wonders. Good luck. I can only imagine what that must smell like.

8. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Same thing happen to me years ago, but outside and it was not just on the drive. I was standing behind the bucket in line with the flow.

I would get the hose and spray it out of the garage. I would than use a laundry soap like tide and scrub the floor with a push broom and water and rinse off the floor. Once it is out of the garage keep deluting with water you should get it under control.

9. TRR

TRR Active Member

HappyTraveler and neighbormike like this.
  10. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

I can't help you with the stench but if you're going to be emptying your black tank at home on a regular basis the solution isn't to simply dump it into a bucket but to use a waste macerator and pump out the macerated contents of the black tank. You can direct that macerated black water to a downstairs toilet or if you plan to do this frequently DIY an intake stack into your house sewer stack - which ought to be an easy task considering your DH is a plumber. A series of pics illustrating my own setup is here ...

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=YTZrWHhLU0VrOWFnakV4el9jMXJodi1ISVItaGFR

11. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Give it few days, the smell will go away. You've thrown enough different stuff on there to kill any smell. Leave the doors open and it will all clear out. Here's a link that may help.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeskbiJjCXI

HappyTraveler and kcsa75 like this.
  12. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

I'd also get an industrial fan and blow it low over the area and toward the open door.

13. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I know some people put in a drain pipe to their septic tank for their rv.