blow up mattresses & foam toppers?

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by lkc, Apr 23, 2018.

1. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all---spent the weekend getting more stuff ready for 1st trip in my NTM pup. Stock mattresses are just too hard, so I put the anti-fatigue mats under the stock mattresses & purchased 2.5 inch foam toppers to put on top--super comfy.

Problem now is the pup won't close with the toppers on.

Has anyone used inflatable mattress/pads under foam toppers and just gotten rid of the stock mattresses? Was that comfy & also supportive for aging back & hips? I really don't want to have to put in/pull off the mattresses toppers every time to set-up & close--ack!

I was bummed.

MaeKay likes this.
  2. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Ours closed normally when we added the pad but the sleeping bag used for cold weather was too thick. My latches were adjustable so I just made them a bit longer to compensate.

3. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I've got the original mattresses and plan to get the air mattresses to go over them. I guess I will try the air mattress over and under and see which is more comfortable.

4. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

Apr 21, 2010
    Pickering, Ontario
    I can't speak for others but it seems to be a Coleman/Fleetwood problem. My previous Dutchmen we could leave bedding, comforters, and pillows on the bed and close the pup no problem. Out current Fleetwood it's a struggle with just the bedding.

5. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    yes, I wonder if some of the other manufacturer's tops are deeper? I have to wait awhile so it can compress with just the anti-fatigue mats under the regular mattress and the canvas, period. One end (the queen size end) is always harder to close up.

6. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    We removed our original foam mattresses to storage bags in storage unit. We have been using just queen air beds with sleeping bag over it since we owned PUP in 2011. I never thought about using a topper but the air bed is adjustable for comfort inflates in about 5 minutes and deflates to nearly nothing.

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    So you don't use anything under the air mattress? It has been discussed that the air mattress doesn't keep out the cold. Have you had any issues with that?

8. mstrbill

mstrbill Active Member

Mar 17, 2013
    Austin , Texas
    done that since our first summer in the Bayport. with the mattress deflated, the memory foam topper, fits fine.

I use a layer of reflectix underneath. If it's cold, we use a electric mattress pad, never had trouble staying warm down to freezing;

9. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    Reflectix is a good idea.

10. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    We have the same issue. I can barely get my Bayside closed with zero bedding on the mattress and nothing under it. I like your thinking here of just using foam topper and air mattress combo.

My family (parents and now me) has a lot of experience sleeping on air mattresses in houses (while traveling). We’ve always slept better, even in summer, with a heating blanket or electric mattress pad under the air mattress because yes, your body heat gets stolen to heat all the air.

In my recent camping experience I found either a wool blanket or foam pad on top of the air mattress stopped the air mattress from sucking my body heat.

But now you have me wondering if I can remove the stock mattress and just keep the deflated air mattress and foam topper there. Because yes, removing that awful topper every time and trying to find a place to stuff it during transit is a nightmare. I’ll have to test it in Camp driveway sometime.

Mamie likes this.
  11. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    When you buy an air mattress get a good one, I slept on the ground for 13 days on a 14 day trip canoe trip after buying a cheap one at Wally World, I took it back and got a Coleman, had no problems, also for a PUP get the 110 V. pump. They also have a habit of gaining air pressure during the heat and losing it when cool. But comfortable. I did deflate mine when breaking camp and re-airing it on set-up. I never had to put anything under mine but I do live in Fl.

12. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Member

Aug 9, 2011
    North Dakota
    When we get the pup set up i will try to remember take photos. One sleeping bag as a bottom sheet one sleeping bag as a quilt is all we use. Any cool or cold is likely to come in from the thin walls. This has worked for us since 2011

13. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I personally do not like air mattresses. They are uncomfortable for me, and too bouncy no matter how I air them up. I use a variety of different ones for tent camping as well, and I tend to be happiest with the old classic Thermarest. That small layer of foam and thicker material seem to work better for my back and hips when I sleep.

14. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    The people I purchased our trailer from said they put the air mattress under the stock mattress and blew it up just a little, not all the way. I have been intrigued by that and want to try it as well. Might avoid the bouncy effect.

15. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    LA - Lower Alabama
    I can sleep on a cot without a mattress, so I'm anxious to see how I do with the mattress and air mattress on the to or bottom.

16. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

We tried that and it made the air mattresses push out from under. I thought it would just make the air spread out evenly when we laid on them, but it sure didn't. They stayed put when fully inflated. Even so, I didn't like it and took them out.

MaeKay likes this.