Blown fuse?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Stephanie martin, May 15, 2019.

1. Stephanie martin

Stephanie martin New Member

Help Think I have blown a fuse on my 1997 Viking pop-up. One I tried to plug an Insta pot in inside the camper and now the only thing that will turn on is the AC. None of the outlets work or these lights on the inside. How do I figure out where my fuses are and replace them

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

First you need to understand that your camper has 2 distinct electrical systems - 120 vac and 12 vdc. A/C is obviously 120 vac and the circuit it's running on is protected by a 20 amp breaker, not a fuse. Your ceiling lights run on 12 vdc supplied either by the battery (assuming you have one) or the converter when the trailer is plugged into 120 vac shore power. I'd suspect the breaker protecting the circuit you plugged your InstaPot into tripped and that the converter is also powered by that same circuit.

3. rabird

rabird Howdy!

get on your hands and knees! and look, it (power center,120v breakers & fuses) should be down low.

another thing to find would be your GFCI test/reset outlet, usually the closest one to the power center!

BillyMc and kcsa75 like this.
  4. Stephanie martin

Stephanie martin New Member

Not on a battery. Plugged into campground power. Question is where do i find this breaker and reset

5. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

Inside the camper. It’s about 12 by 6 black panel. It should have both breakers (for AC) and fuses(for DC) in it. You have tripped a breaker. Reset those and if that doesn’t work, check for a GFCI plug (think bathroom outlet) that might be tripped. Most campers have just one to protect the whole camper.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. I had a 1990 Jayco a while back and the breaker box was under the dinnette table on the side. My guess if you don't see it in the main isle check under the table. Pain in the you know what to access so I learned real quick how much power I can use before it trips the breaker. On my old converter I just needed to push a button to reset everything that is after you unplug the pot. Newer converter it's either a fuse or something very similar your breaker box at home. Anything that draws a lot of power I turn off the AC and use that circuit. 15 amps doesn't give you much if your fridge, pump, etc also use it.

7. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Yep, that was your question. Let us know when you find it! The big black cord that you plug into campground power will terminate on the other end at the power center, lift seats etc and trace where that big black cord is connected to the back of the power center, then find the front of it.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

In theory the AC (air conditioner) runs thru the same main breaker on the "converter" inside your PUP. So find the converter and look at the breakers and cycle each one. So if the AC works you at least have power to your on-board main panel, and therefore a branch circuit is fault. Next up is trouble shooting branch circuit(s) with a reliable plug-in neon tester (or similar)..

9. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Actually that's not the case at all as with most popups the converter would have at most 2 breakers, one 15 amp that protects the converter and all the duplex receptacles AND one 20 amp which is intended to be used to protect a 20 amp circuit powering a roof mount A/C unit. The OP is saying the A/C works which means the 20 amp breaker hasn't tripped. She also says there is no battery which in turn means the converter which would supply 12 vdc to the ceiling lights isn't receiving power as those lights don't work. That therefore indicates the 15 amp breaker has either tripped OR a GFCI on that 15 amp circuit has tripped.

10. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Not going to be the GFCI as the 12 volt converter is powered prior to the GFCI outlet and it is also without power. The problem is most likely going to be a tripped 15 amp breaker.

11. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The breakers most likely won’t be visible. There will be a cover over the box.
    I have a similar Viking. Walk in door, look diagonally left the panel people have been describing should be there.

Stephanie martin likes this.
  12. rabird

rabird Howdy!

my '96 had this one, with pull/push breakers seen on the lower left.
    Magnetek.JPG

Stephanie martin likes this.