Boondock coffee solution

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Dan Wilson, Mar 4, 2019.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Yup, been using a pour over for a few years now. Works great and very little cleanup.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have used on for years, one of the most used items back when I backpacked, I still use it when canoe camping, easy and I can make the coffee as strong as I want /need, my Cousin was amazed on our last canoe trip, he had never seen or used one, but is the proud owner of one now.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  3. BBQdave

BBQdave Active Member

When it's just me, I use a stainless steel Farberware percolator. It's well seasoned, great coffee!

If there's a group of us, cowboy coffee :) I have a large stew pot, rolling boil for 3 minutes, toss in cup of cold water (to knock the grounds down) and your good to go. I usually let it rest for a couple of minutes after rolling boil and ladle out the coffee. Very smooth coffee and no grounds.

Boiling coffee lowers the acidity, makes all the difference :)

Buckmaster81 and arge like this.
  4. arge

arge Member

I do pretty often the cowboy coffee :)in my mug.
    Get the boiling water, a couple of tablespoons of coffee, wait a minute, add a bit of cold water and here we go.
    As a matter of personal taste, I don't like to boil the coffee as most of the flavors are gone. Just add coffee in the hot water.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We ended up with the CUISINART GRIND AND BREW Coffee maker. This uses coffee beans and will grind and brew a 10-cup carafe in about five minutes. This is the total time you need to brew the coffee. after it is poured up into the stainless steel carafe then it will stay hot all day long... Only consumes power for five minutes and completely shuts down power wise after that...

My routine is almost the same everyday whereas I am running my 2KW generator each morning to re-charge my off-grid battery bank from its 50% charge state to it's 90% charge state in a three hour generator run time. While doing this I will make my fresh ground and brewed coffee for the day running off the generator.

[​IMG]
    Google image

This works out great for us. We bring along the same bottled water just for making coffee taste that we like.

Of course out backup is the COLEMAN BLUE Stovetop perculator…

[​IMG]
    Goggle image

I also carry a MR COFFEE electric grinder to grind up my coffee beans and both setups come pretty close to our coffee bean liking... My duty 600WATT PURE SINE Power Inverter always ON setup runs the coffee grinder just fine when needed when off-grid...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  6. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow , not cheap!

8. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

Found the same one used for 40$

9. TinyCamperPro

TinyCamperPro Member

Thats a neat design but I agree with some of the others. We carry a small coffee press mainly because we found the pour over to be a little to weak as well. Just a small one we picked up on Amazon. Just boil the coffee on the coleman stove in the morning.

10. David Blackwell

David Blackwell Member

One of my favorite YouTube channels is Cowboy Kent Rollins. Aside from all of his great recipes and videos on cast iron/dutch ovens, he just posted an updated video on "How to Make Cowboy Coffee".

11. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

If it’s just me, a Melitta pour over. IMO, as mentioned previously the keys are the grind and HOT water. If it’s a group, I’ve got an old fashioned granite percolator. FWIW, my Jetboil came with a French Press plunger. Using a true French Press grind and a slow press, I think it makes a good cup o joe too.

12. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

We now use pour overs while in the camper, boondocking or not. Regarding water temp, we use this kettle (apparently not available at the moment) with a temperature gauge to indicate when it has reached the (what is apparently considered) the best pour over temp, and find it very convenient.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IR8K7Z4

13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

We use this collapsible silicone drip for camping. Space is a premium for us and its much easier to clean that presses or other systems. We usually have limited water with us, so we simply throw the filter and grounds away when done, then rinse this cup out. We've tried all coffee making systems in the field and reverted back to this. We also grind enough coffee at home and bring it along.. I should add, we commonly camp in cooler temps so have a towel along we put over this cup to keep the heat in as it dripped out. Its a large enough a towel to keep the whole thing under it. Good coffee is what its about. [:D]

https://www.amazon.com/Kuissential-SlickDrip-Collapsible-Silicone-Dripper/dp/B0051HEFAS/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2L3F1CN1KXP4J&keywords=silicon+coffee+dripper&qid=1554944125&s=gateway&sprefix=SILICON+COFF,aps,193&sr=8-4

14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We do the stove top percolator.