Boondocking Must Haves

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by barrieb24, Mar 16, 2018.

1. barrieb24

barrieb24 The Road's My Home

Apr 12, 2016
    Denver
    Hi fellow Boondockers,

Wondering what you all travel w/ when going into remote locations. (I'm very familiar w/ boondock tent camping and backpacking, so not so much interested in camping gear/survival gear). Looking for those things you ALWAYS take to make sure you're safe on back roads. Ex: a shovel, Fix-A-Flat, etc.

Thanks!

MaeKay likes this.
  2. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    I like to carry two spares for the popup. I don't have LT tires on the pup and those 2 ply sidewalls are easy to tear.

barrieb24 likes this.
  3. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I have not yet boondocked with my pup but I yearly go on remote Canada fishing adventures where I tow my boat and trailer. I keep a bin in my truck year round with "emergency supplies". In it I carry a breaker bar, sockets for hub nuts (trailer and tow vehicle), socket set, a small portable air compressor that I can plug into my TV to inflate tires, a can of fix-a-flat, gloves, hand warmers, bungees, zip ties, a lighter, vice grip, tie downs, rope, para cord, bug spray, duct tape and a few other small items that would help during a TV or trailer breakdown.

When towing the boat or camper, I also always bring a small 2 1/2 ton floor jack and a couple of pieces of wood to put the floor jack on in case of a soft shoulder.

I have also on occasion brought a shovel for those rough Canadian logging roads and mosquito netting for the bugs. So far, I have change or helped changed flat tires five times in Canada in the past six years.

EDIT: I almost forgot! I also keep a decent first aid kit handy and I've added bear spray to my list.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2018
  4. barrieb24

barrieb24 The Road's My Home

Apr 12, 2016
    Denver
    Thanks guys...very helpful. Getting ready to take the newly lifted popup out in the desert.

5. Dback2k4

Dback2k4 Active Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Iowa
    Modified first aid kit for sure... I start with a basic one from Walmart, then add extra bandages, tylenol/advil, snake bite kit, and various wraps for sprained ankles or building a splint.

My .45 usually isn't far from reach. I also carry a floor jack, 2 jack stands, and a 4-way tire iron. Much easier to change a blown tire than with the bottle jack from the pickup. I keep a book of matches and a lighter as well as an LED mini-maglite.

I also have one of those jump packs for jump starting a vehicle that also has a built-in air compressor.

upload_2018-3-19_0-5-22.png

barrieb24 likes this.
  6. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    I’m off grid boondocking right now. I’m my stable I have a Jayco 1206 pup purposely modified for boondocking in remote locations. I have self recovery covered, fix a flat, eternabond tape, altered medical kits, chainsaw, and other gear in use depending on trip. My jump box is a Schumacher with two 12 volt plugs and two inverter plugs, air pump, 1200 amp jumper. Does everything I have encountered in life boating, and camping in past 7 years.

barrieb24 likes this.
  7. MaeKay

MaeKay Active Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Utah
    From a beginner’s perspective: a wool blanket or junky blanket you can throw on the ground to change a tire or look under the camper in case of mud or extremely rocky ground. And a tool kit. I’m embarrassed to say our first trip we didn’t have even a basic screw driver and needed one to get the roof down! (We did have the blanket, though. My dad taught me that when I learned to drive.)

I also keep an emergency blanket and an emergency hooded poncho for each family member. And way more water than we’ll need. Benadryl, extra batteries for flash lights. I made sure my car jack could loosen the lugs on both my car, the trailer, and the trailer spare (and that I knew how to use them.)

8. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    you don't need much more for the pup than tent. either way you need food, water, first aid ect. a jack that can handle the pup and tv, same for a tire iron. I use a light aluminum floor jack and a breaker bar and socket. extra blocks of wood, you never know how level your campsite will be. now if you want to take full advantage of the pup a good deep cycle battery, preferably a group 31. depending on length of stay and how much electric you want to use a way to recharge the battery, I prefer solar. don't have to carry fuel, my 100 watt panel keeps me going for a week in northern Michigan in winter. propane, nothing worse than opening up a cold one and realizing its warm cause you ran out of propane

barrieb24 likes this.
  9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    image.jpeg
    Lots of ice & beer. (And gas). Just got back from Utah. Love the desert.

aggiepm, BillyMc, Garrity and 5 others like this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I use basically the same things that I use for canoe camping except the tent, sleeping mat etc. I also use the old idea that everything I take needs to have at least 2 uses. For boon docking you will need a way to recharge the battery either TV using cables or a generator and to carry extra water, also LP for cooking, hot water etc. I hung a couple of candle lanterns on 2 small screw eyes in the ceiling in one PUP worked great for lighting. You will need bed linens and if camping on cool nights blankets (or sleeping bags, double bags are fun :) A nice large cooler and either block Ice or Dry ice (if you can find it), you will add or take away items as you go just make a list and work on it as you go. Do not forget tool box, spare fuses, bulbs etc. spare tire, jack etc.

11. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    A4941285-E19C-43A7-96D0-B125470C4D84.jpeg I have everything necessary but spare fuses on my last boondocking trip. Thankfully the shumacher jump box has built in inverter. Saved the night of desolate boredom while in northeastern PA deep in the woods. I tried to recharge the jump box while connected in series like to the pups battery. Pup was getting charged by the generator lol. It did not work due to the blown fuses inside the box. The shumacher box had verified the charge output of 13.1. I wonder if I needed to connect jumbox in parallel as well.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  12. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    This is the gem I’ve used for 8 years of life Saved the day on boat, jump start a diesel truck, work in the shed, and every camping trip type This baby goes on canoe camps EFD0E268-FD81-4A3F-8AA6-C90A5FDD3EEC.jpeg

barrieb24 and MaeKay like this.
  13. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    LED lights on all weekend lol no battery loss.

Attached Files:

Garrity likes this.
  14. PaThacker

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    One more must have. Full gear to “be comfortable”. My last trip ran the entire spectrum: 86f to 58 Friday early Saturday To 29f -33f Saturday/Sunday That’s camping in all seasons in one weekend. Pugz, furnace, Bunk end fans, fantastic fan, and final 1500 watt heater/ generator. I took an outside shower at 31f. Holy hell. I prepped by filling the outdoor shower with heated furnace Exhaust gas (I know) while heating up pup. No navy shower just spray away with hot water. Get done and run back to pup to warm up. One possible safer way would be a propane tower heater inside the shower tent lol.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
  15. Tumbleweed53

Tumbleweed53 New Member

Sep 11, 2016
    I like to add two things to my first aid kits that many forget about. For me, the biggest way to ruin a weekend out is either a toothache or diarrhea. I add some anti=diarrhea pills and toothache gel to the kit.

BillyMc and Ruby Jean like this.