Brake controller and observation camera

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by mpotapa, Oct 26, 2017.

1. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    i currently have a Tekonsha Prodigy wireless brake controller. With my new camper I am getting a furrion observation camera. Both plug into the 12v cigarette lighter. I have two up in the front of my truck. Is there any issue using both these units at the same time?

2. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2016
    Texas
    Would not think it would be.

3. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    This sounds strange. Your brake controller plugs into the cig lighter? How does it know when the brakes are being applied?

4. megcabra

megcabra Active Member

Aug 12, 2015
    Chapel Hill, North Carolina
    You have to check it out, it really is a great new product! To me it is worth it just not to have to wire in a traditional controller in a TV you may only have for another year or so. Then go though the process all over again with a new TV.

https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Controller/Tekonsha/90250.html

5. mpotapa

mpotapa Member

Mar 11, 2014
    I lease my vehicles so this saves me from having to install a break controller in a new truck every couple years.

megcabra likes this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Check the amp draw. Are both outlets off the same fuse? As long a they don't overload the fuse and don't use the same frequency for transmitting then it should be fine.

7. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    The Tekonsha RF brake controller is NOT NEW. I used it on my 2013 Silverado and Hummer cause I didn't want to install a permanent one. It worked great and never had a problem with it.
    I'm assuming the hand unit pulls very little amperage so using both the camera and the hand unit on the accessory plug would be safe. If not it will simply blow a fuse.

8. Sarahw

Sarahw New Member

Feb 17, 2018
    Springfield
    It's interesting but the system should plug into any std 12v and so they should work