break controller do I need it? I was wrong to read post first!

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by stacey short, Apr 10, 2019.

1. stacey short

stacey short Member

This is sorter a crazy but true story. I went to Camper World and brought TT and they ask what kind of vehicle would be pulling this TT and I said a 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 2dr. When the seller seen it he mention we have a problem with your brakes. My response what do you mean, he said you need a break harness and it cost $800. I said what is the plug that I have now and it is the plug for my pup which is 4 prone. I told him to hold on a minute but he spoke to the account mgr. and they said, they will tow the TT where ever I wanted to park it and give me a $200 gift cert. for the trouble. I'm still holding my phone and I went on and call U Haul and ask how much does it cost to add a break harness to the truck $130.00 and I said no do you understand what i'm saying I need electric breaks for a TT and he quote me the same thing. I said ok let me make appt. I did allow Camping World to tow my vehicle to the beach where it will remain, and I accepted the $200 gift cert. I go back to Camping World to Shop and seen the sales man that sold me the TT and show him a picture of the new break harness that is attach to the truck and he said I need a break controller now. I'm upset now, because he didn't mention that before and stuff keep piling up. I have a sway bar with weight distribution and electric breaks why do I need a break controller, what is that suppose to do?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

The break controller, is just that , a control for the breaks. Its needed. As is the harness. The controller sets the pressure on the breaks as well as gives you a manual button to push to activate them. This is used to control sway and other stuff. The controller also ties your break system together with the trailors. So , the harness is the wiring connecting the breakes, and the controller is the activation of the breaks. You also need to have a break away switch, this is on the trailer and activates the breakes if the trailer is seperated from the tow vehicle. ( its most likely there allready)

U haul, can install the break controller. And are suppose to be very good at it.

stacey short likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Or you can try it yourself if you dont mind doing some wiring. ( disclamer, i didnt watch the vid.)

4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

my MOPAR 7-pin wiring harness for my 2008 Jeep Liberty was $156 parts only. Labor to install it would be extra (free if its me) Cable is plug-ready, no splicing. Installation instructions are only cartoons, no English, no Spanish - nothing. The controller (mounts on or near your dash is extra. The extra that you get in the 7-pin harness is + and - direct from battery to your trailer, and the modulated brake power. The other 4 wires are the usual trailer lights, including ground.

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

If you want brakes on the trailer, you didn't have any choice. The brake controller controls your brakes.....Gotta love Camping World

6. stacey short

stacey short Member

Tell me about it, they wanted me to pay $800.00 just for the break harness. So they would have pop that harness on me at the last minute probably for 3 or $400.

7. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

You know it depends how they said it. If they said you needed the trailer wires including brakes wired. that would mean it include a brake controller. Camping world is pricey, but I don't think they are $800 for just a brake wire from the back of the truck to under the dash, a wire to the brake switch, and a fuse and wire to the battery? I would assume it included a very good brake controller, also the wire for the battery charge wire to the camper and the reverse light wiring to the camper, maybe an isolation relay for the battery charge wire.

I'm very surprised the U-haul did not ask you about the brake controller? Normally they would want to test with your brake controller.

stacey short likes this.
  8. stacey short

stacey short Member

Camping World in Colfax NC please call and verify price. I did call U Haul to inquire how did test the break harness to see if it work? He said we use our diagnostic equipment to detect it. He also mention he wasn't away of what we where pulling. I told him I thought she ask so we wouldn't have to return. Now u haul wants $175.00 to put the break controller on.

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Yes you need a brake controler. No brake controler equal no trailer brakes. Without trailer brakes you will greatly increase your shopping distance. Also, most states it's illegale if the camper is over some value between 2000 and 3000 lbs, depending on which state.

stacey short likes this.
  10. stacey short

stacey short Member

Thank you

11. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

If the $175 from u-Hall includes the controller, it's a fair price. The controller will cost about &100 and the labor at 75 an hour is proper.

stacey short and Blackripley like this.