Breakfast Burrito

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by Tacoma_Jim, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Since I have diabetes, I have to watch what I eat. We found a quick and easy breakfast that is a lot better choice than bacon and eggs, though I love those dearly. So we make a breakfast burrito. Here's what's in it.

Breakfast Burrito

Low carb tortillas
    Egg Beaters - Southwestern Style
    Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage - pre-cooked (Or Morning Star veggie sausage)
    Low fat cheese
    Low sodium salsa

Cook up the egg beaters as you would scrambled eggs
    Add sausage as the eggs start to firm
    Put tortillas in foil and place on top of the fry pan as the eggs firm to heat
    Sprinkle cheese on egg mixture a few minutes before serving

This is one of our favorites and can be eaten around the morning fire. If someone knows of a low fat churizo, I would love to hear about it.

2. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Dec 4, 2007
    California Coast
    The Trader Joe's soy chorizo is surprisingly good. It has 60% less fat than the real stuff.

3. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    This is one of my favs!
    I have been doing this since my heart attach in August.

4. tconroy

tconroy Active Member

Apr 25, 2013
    I have been doing this since my heart attach in August. What did you have before you had your heart attached?? :) sorry had to ask. I also cook this but I put pilsbury biscut dough in a pie iron and then put the ingredients in and cook till golden brown. It more like a panini that way.

5. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Albuquerque NM
    Whole eggs, potatoes, regular pork sausage, full fat cheese, and high sodium salsa's and a lot of stress.

If I did this I would have had my heart attack much sooner. [;)]

6. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Me too. I would have used 6 whole eggs, a pound of ground pork sausage, regular Mexican style cheese and crappy enriched wheat tortillas. Gee....wonder why I'm diabetic. [LOL]

7. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Dec 4, 2007
    California Coast
    Well, you're in the Healthy Outdoor Cooking section, so stick around and pick up some ideas.

8. nancyanddan

nancyanddan Active Member

Dec 2, 2011
    Myself being vegan and DH vegetarian, I found this Tofu Scramble recipe to be an excellent addition to our camping meal favorites. I make it up at home the day before we leave and just heat up and add to warmed whole wheat flour tortillas:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/the-best-tofu-scramble-362458
    I usually add chopped, sautéed veggies like bell pepper, mushrooms, and zucchini to the scramble. It is really delicious!

Kmbrn84 likes this.
  9. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DH loves breakfast burritos. I will have to add this to my breakfast rotation for next years camping trips.

10. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Feb 20, 2012
    Melviindale MI.
    One hour later in the bathroom wishing you had not eaten so many, just kidding sounds great thanks for the idea