Breaking down while trailering

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Bonecrusher, Apr 16, 2019 at 10:48 PM.

1. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Member

Just curious what plans people have if their tow vehicle was to break down while trailering far from home.

I know we can make all the preparations before hand to try and prevent a mechanical breakdown.. but sometimes things happen...

I have AAA for the truck if God forbid something happens on road so I can get a tow.. but what do you do with the camper at that point??

2. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I've only broken down once where I couldn't get home under my own power while pulling our pup. Thankfully, it was only about 45 miles from home, & once I walked back to to where I could find cell service, I called a good friend with a truck, & he towed us & our pup home. Obviously, this isn't a good solution for traveling any great distance from home, so I've been thinking about an AAA membership with a RV/trailer rider.

3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I would probably have the camper towed to the nearest campground until I could make other arrangements.

4. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I drive a Chevy. All good. [:D]

kcsa75 and J Starsky like this.
  5. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We put aaa with the rv package on whatever the DW is in. I don't carry any towing insurance for what I'm in.

Always figured, if I break down around the house. DW can come and order a tow.

But in almost 50 years of driving I have never needed a tow.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

We have towing with GEICO, most of my trips are within 100 miles, I would call a
    (or DW ) to come and get the TT and have the TV towed home. For flats I carry a
    small floor jack and a large 4 way lug wrench as well as tools in the box mounted in the truck bed.

7. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Close to home, I can get someone to pick up the trailer.

Further away from home, I have the premier AAA. Before I got my clipper's ignition issue resolved, I had both the premier AAA and GS. They work differently, so I found that when one failed the other worked well.

8. generok

generok Well-Known Member

With my GEICO roadside assist, if I am towing my covered vehicle and my covered trailer, they will reimburse me to tow BOTH a certain number of miles. I had to do that once and they put my TV on the flatbed and hooked the PUP on the ball and away we went.

9. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I have AAA with RV coverage. The RV coverage includes any trailer (boat or camper). I've never had to use the RV portion of it.

A few years ago (2013), I was traveling in a group of three vehicles towing boats to Canada when the guy pulling the boat in front of me started spitting wheel bearings at me. I got him to pull over. He had AAA without RV coverage. The tow truck dude had no problem with using AAA for loading the boat onto his truck and bringing it to the local shop to have the bearings replaced.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2019 at 7:39 AM
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have good Sam road side assistance it covers both tow vehicle and camper. According to what I read about it, it can tow your camper to a campsite nearby and your car to the shop. In my area AAA does not have RV coverage. Thank goodness I never needed to use it on my travels.

11. Bonecrusher

Bonecrusher Member

I didnt realize there was road side for rv. Never thought to even look...

I currently have AAA for the car. Wonder if they have this rv rider in my area need to look into that.

Thanks!

12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

My RV coverage is an additional $35 per year.

13. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have AAA Plus with RV coverage. Needed it back in 2009 when the van broke down on the Mass Pike at the toll booth. Had the van and pup towed to a local campground. The tow truck driver stopped at a Walmart with us so we could pickup a new battery that fried. The campground owner towed the pup to a site for us. If not for AAA that would have been a $$$$$$$$$$$$ tow bill!!!

BikeNFish likes this.
  14. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I once removed my MIL's exhaust on the side of the road north of Duluth. I ordered the entire rear exhaust from Orielly in Two Harbors, and installed it before we travelled south to home. I've swapped alternators in the field, replaced a belt on my suburban, changed a rear ujoint for a buddy's pickup, fixed a throttle cable on the Jeep with bailing wire. That said - now in the 40s, I have AAA with RV coverage, and Auto Owners gives another rider for the 25ft TT we now have.

Does that mean I stop backing a full tool bag and socket set? Answer: Not on your life, pal.

neighbormike and BikeNFish like this.
  15. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We have AAA + RV. Used it once years ago when we broke down far from home. They towed the truck and trailer back to a repair facility. Well worth the small additional fee for peace of mind.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  16. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

My camper insurance covers towing of the camper. I carry a towing rider for all my cars as part of my auto policy. At an extra $2 a month it's cheaper than AAA.

17. Pop-N-Fresh

Pop-N-Fresh New Member

I just insured my pup yesterday with Progressive for $99 per year and was very surprised when she told me that towing of the camper is included as part of my policy. You may want to check with your insurer.

neighbormike likes this.
  18. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

When looking at plans, I have found each have their pros and cons:

AAA will tow you wherever you want to go. They have a mileage limit as well as a cost limit. If your vehicle/RV requires other than a standard tow truck, the "free mileage" drops significantly due to the increased hourly rate of the tow truck. For instance, my clipper requires a medium duty wrecker. So instead of getting the "100 miles free towing", I get about half that because the hourly rate of the wrecker is more than the standard tow rate.

GS and Coachnet - these will tow you to the nearest repair shop that agrees to take your rig. This means they will not send a tow until they have confirmed a repair shop. If you break down on a weekend, at night, or on a holiday, this means you could wait hours or longer to get towed. However, if you don't know the area, you don't have to do the searching for a repair shop - they do it.

From what I have read, Coachnet is better than GS. I had GS at one point. I fell into the weekend/holiday issue - they couldn't make contact with a repair shop on a Sunday afternoon with a Monday holiday so wouldn't send a tow truck. I ended up using my AAA and got a tow truck out immediately. But I was close enough to home to have it towed to my usual repair shop.

I did switch to Coachnet, but never had the opportunity to use them (good thing).

19. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

@todetoes great write up. I might want to relook at the good sam thing. Thank goodness I've never had to use it, but that would be very scary to be on a road in the middle of nowhere for hours if something goes wrong.

Toedtoes likes this.
  20. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

the one time we were stranded due to hitting a deer, my car insurance covered the tow for the vehicle and the camper (the camper is on my car policy) - they loaded my vehicle on the flat bed and hooked the popup onto the ball hitch and the tow truck took both to the repair shop. since we had been on our way home, we were able to leave the camper at the repair shop and got a rental car to get us home. I did have a second vehicle capable to towing the camper, so went back the next day and brought the camper home.

we also carry Coachnet in case we have issues with our car insurance or are a long way from home. Have never had to use it.