Bringing a boat

Discussion in 'Canoeing / Kayaking, Boating, & S.C.U.B.A.' started by dfitzgerald727, Jan 14, 2018.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I don't think that would work for us here in Florida. Too many gators that may want to take a grab at those fins. Really nice, lightweight set up, if it had some kind of floor, at least in the front, would be perfect.

gladecreekwy likes this.
  2. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    With the Aliner I often carry a 10' fishing Kayak in the bed of my truck. It works very well for one person and keeps things very simple. Very easy to load/unload. The days of putting stuff on rooftops are gone for my back. The 10' kayak fits in the bed of my truck with the tailgate down, so it requires a longer than usual drawbar for the Aliner. https://nativewatercraft.com/product/slayer-propel-10/

If we wind up buying the larger camper we're considering I will not be able to use an extended drawbar (due to much greater tongue weight) and leave the tailgate down, so I suspect I'll pick up a one or two of these origami style folding kayaks that could fit easily in the back of the truck. I've heard good things about these. https://www.orukayak.com/

--------
    Update from 6 days later..... I noticed the annual 20% REI discount was available and went looking at the OruKayak, decided two of these were just too pricey so opted for a tandem inflatable with good reviews. Looking forward to the snow melting to check it out.
    https://www.rei.com/product/736947/...ncedframe-convertible-tandem-inflatable-kayak

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
  3. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Just a thought, I have a sea eagle 330 that is a ton of fun. stable and tough as nails, just not as quick as a hard kayak. I'd sell it for a fair price.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. myride

myride Well-Known Member

May 14, 2015
    Edmonton, AB
    Looks alot like our lntex Excursion, that's what we went with. Easy to pack...tons of fun.

5. DanLee

DanLee Member

Apr 28, 2015
    Virginia
    We often haul a 17' canoe on top of our Forester on our trips. I have a couple of lightweights, a 60 lb Grumman and a 55 lb Novacraft which are easily handled even by my 70-year-old body. I prefer canoes to johnboats for paddling.

6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I could not carry my 12' canoe or fishing yak in the bed of my truck and tow the TT. I went to HF and bought a ladder rack, the rack carries 200 lbs and my canoe and yak weigh about 50 lbs.
    this works great for me I just lash which ever one I want to take, the brackets screw into the side of the bed and the upper parts drop into these brackets, I also drilled a hole in each bracket and insert a pin thru this for safety. I did have to move my tool box forward but that works great as I drop my camping table and pet fences between the tool box and the cab. has worked great so far.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    I have this https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...&ved=0ahUKEwiWsYCczebcAhVJGt8KHXhEBGUQgTYIoAQ
    Yes it's not fast, it's not supper cool , but for a cheap way to get on the water to relax , it worked. Mine is 10 years old and still doing fine. It's been, in lakes , the Hudson, the ocean and inlets as well as bays. So it held up way better then I thought. This one has the cheaper seats, they work for me , but they do have a better model for not much more.

8. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2011
    DE and NH
    Just a update to the above - we have used the tandem inflatable kayak above and love it! We use a 12v pump to get it 90% inflated and finished it off with a hand pump with built-in pressure gauge. Works great with 2 people! And easy to store in the back of the covered bed of the truck.

9. Pnut

Pnut Member

Jul 8, 2018
    NE Georgia
  10. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    I like it! What I don't like is how much longer setting camp up would be.

11. Pnut

Pnut Member

Jul 8, 2018
    NE Georgia
    The guy that made the rack has a write up on it on another site that tells more about it. I think he said it only takes about 10 minutes to set up or take down.

12. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

Jul 2, 2016
    AZ Aliner
    I’m looking at boats for camping trips that are light and easy to transport. I listed them from lowest to highest priced:
    • Sevylor Fish Hunter 360
    • A Sun Dolphin Sportsman 8’
    • AQUOS PF380. The AQUOS PF380 provides enough room for two, has a casting deck, and is easy to transport
    • Porta Bote 8’, 10’, 12’ or 14’
    • Quickboat Adventurer 3.7
    Still researching our options.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

13. Lfamily

Lfamily Active Member

Aug 12, 2018
    Siler City, NC
    We went with the Intex Excursion 5 person inflatable for fishing on several lakes in the area. Dh is putting in a plywood bottom for stability and we got the trolling motor mount.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  14. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    I bring a 16ft Bell Chestnut Prospector RX Canoe. I carry it on roof of tow vehicle. Most user friendly solo or with kids boat to cover everything from lakes, bogs, rivers, and if brave unlimited HP big water.

15. BillyMc

BillyMc Active Member

Mar 25, 2018
    South Carolina
    Planning to modify a pipe rack and add wheels to jonboat to carry on top of TV much like this. I don't want to have to unload boat before setting up the camper. Some multi-leg trips will have no need for a boat at certain stop, but can be used at others.

DiamondGirl and hayyward like this.
  16. hayyward

hayyward Active Member

Sep 16, 2006
    Packerland
    BillyMc, Please share pics when you do this project.

DiamondGirl likes this.