Bringing own firewood.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by paepae805, Jul 10, 2018.

1. paepae805

paepae805 Member

I am new to this forum and to the camping world. We have only camped at a local county park where you can bring your own wood. I purchased a face cord for dirt cheap prior to our first trip. I packed the tailgate of the truck with what I thought we'd use for our first weekend and didn't think anything of it. Had some leftovers from the weekend.

After researching other campsites(privately owned) they state no outside firewood. You can buy bundles for $6 from them as an alternative. Is this a common practice @ non state/county campgrounds? The price for a bundle is as bad as you'd spend @ a local gas station.

Will private campgrounds check your vehicle is someone didn't know the posted rules. If I didn't see a specific sign at a potential campground, I would have had some in my tailgate under my toneau cover and wouldn't of given it a second thought if I didn't see any posting or signs.

Do most people abibe by those rules do you see or buy a bundles from the office just to suffice and use what was brought?

Like I said I am new to camping and not sure if there is a proper etiquette with campground owners, etc. I am aware of etiquette to fellow campers. LOL

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

When we travel to local campgrounds we tend to bring our own wood as their prices are a bit high. When we do buy wood we have run into the issue of their wood being a bit green (not seasoned).

We have never had a campground check to see if we brought our own wood. If we have leftovers we would bring it home with us. In some cases we gave it to our campsite neighbors who were usually very happy to take it.

When we travel to National Parks (NP's) we never bring our own wood. We will buy it there locally. Most NP's sell wood. But sometimes outside the park are locals who harvest their own wood and sell it. Cheaper than buying it from the NP.

3. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

It is usually no out of state firewood.

4. crazymama30

crazymama30 Active Member

I only camp in my state, and many times I camp where there are no hook ups or campfire wood sales. I bring my own, and take what is left home with me. I have bought wood before, and usually buy from someone nearby as it is better quality and more affordable

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

That's the basic rule we follow!

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Due to the ash borer and other pests, transporting firewood across state (sometimes county lines) is prohibited in many places. Certified wood is permitted.
    We have never had a wood fire, so haven't had to deal with it. I don't remember seeing an inspection at any campground, but have heard reports of people being told to make sure to burn all wood they brought with them.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Here in Washington State, we have several different "climate zones" and the idea is to burn wood that is harvested in that particular area. I have no doubt that there are lots of people who believe that they are special enough to ignore these rules, even though they are there for good reason.

8. durhamcamper

durhamcamper Active Member

You've never had a wood fire ? :shocked:

jnc and Dan from Troup like this.
  9. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Nope - I can make one, it's just not our thing. As a kid, I learned to make wood fires in the stove at our cabin, and outside to cook. It's just as well Courtenay and I didn't get in the habit of fires here in the SW - there are bans much of the time. Plus, I have to retreat to the inside of the TT when the smoke (campfire or wildfire) gets too bad, due to my asthma and slight lung damage from pleurisy 3years ago. [My pulmonologist, a self-avowed city boy who doesn't understand camping at all, suggests I wear a mask when there is campfire smoke. I hide instead.]
    We do have a small propane campfire (Little Red Campfire), which is nice on some cold weather trips.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
    durhamcamper likes this.
  11. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

Hard to believe, but when I back packed we seldom made fires because it killed our vision to see the night sky. Paddled the Rio Grande thru Big Bend once and oh my gosh. That night sky knocked it out of the park. Probably lots of reasons to not make a fire like smelling like you and all your gear just came out of a smoker.

kitphantom and Rik Peery like this.
  12. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

Here in Michigan it's illegal to carry firewood across county lines. That leaves most people at the mercy of the parks and the locals. Wood quality can range the gammit from seasoned, dried hardwood to green softwood slabs. The state is trying to implement a new policy where the only firewood allowed in state parks is kiln dried. They are having a hard time lining up suppliers and distributors. I am lucky enough to work for a truss manufacturer and have access to an in-exhaustable supply of scrap 2x4 and 2x6 that comes from all over the US and Canada. This wood is exempt and I can carry it anywhere in the state. Unfortunately, this kind of wood is no good for the type of grilling I like to do so we use it for the nightly fires and burn locally sourced hardwoods for our grilling.

friartuck, DigitalGuru and Rik Peery like this.
  13. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

I usually take my own, never across state lines or the Mackinaw bridge. Now the wood I take is bark free and no signs of bugs. For the most part Im too cheap to buy firewood. Easy enough to cut and split.

friartuck and Paula72 like this.
  14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I do not usually have a fire in the summer, but love one when the weather cools down. I keep any hardwood that I cut down when trimming trees here on the farm. I stack it and let it season well, I always take my own and I have found a 50# feed sack will hold enough for a night. I have bought the firewood from the park and it usually is green and mostly gives off more smoke than heat. I usually stay at Fl. State Parks and have had no problems bringing my own wood.

15. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

HERE are Minnesota's firewood restrictions.

16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I buy my own wood at the park/campground I go to unless I found a place selling certified heat treated firewood. I've seen the damage the pests we're trying to stop can do. Heck in one campground I went to they lost hundreds of trees due to the ash borer alone. [:(] So I'm doing my part to help prevent the spread. I want to still have trees left in my lifetime and the kids. Even if it means I buy expensive firewood or greenwood at the campground i will not transport firewood. If I have any extra firewood I just keep it in the fire ring or give to my neighbor.

17. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

Yea, I'm pretty sure that when I'm on my death bed I won't be worrying about that $20.00 I spent on firewood that one time. I got 99 things I'm cheap about but camping ain't one of them.

Paula72, jnc, Toedtoes and 1 other person like this.
  18. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I usually carry enough firewood for the first fire. Then I will get firewood locally to satisfy the local rules...

If you want to see what the ASH BORE bugs do just drive up on top of Smoky Mtns in TN. It just makes one sick seeing all of those used to be most beautiful forest now almost all barren...

Just about all of our Earth is slowly going to the worse - Won't be long we humans will be looking for new place to survive...

My luck the future will be a big jar of a shelf somewhere and we all do our thing with thought power... Go anywhere Do anything and never leave the Jar. A robot will be taking care of all the family jars in one cave location somewhere... (Saw that on STAR TREX one time)

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Rik Peery likes this.
  19. njmarks

njmarks New Member

I have been accumulating kiln dried lumber to avoid any issues with the emerald ash borer.

Rik Peery likes this.
  20. NorthernSpirit

NorthernSpirit Member

That's what we do as well. DH is a cabinetmaker so we have an almost endless supply of off cuts. Burns great!

Paula72 likes this.