Broken into?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Beekeeper1, May 10, 2019.

1. Beekeeper1

Beekeeper1 Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever had their home burglarized while they were away on a camping trip or other vacation. I have always been a little apprehensive about leaving my home for extended periods. I do have good neighbors, but you never know. It is best not to put your plans or to even post pictures on social media until you return from your trip. A lot of people let everyone know what their plans are before they leave. This lets thieves know that the home is unattended. I remember years ago when we lived in Nashville their were a ring of thieves that were robbing homes that had experienced a death. They watched the papers for the obituaries and the times of the wake or funeral. So again it's best not to announce your plans.

Milemaker13, Pommom70 and Rik Peery like this.
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I don't even know anyone who had their home broken into.
    Good not to advertise you will be away. Watchful neighbors are a very good precaution.
    Alarm system signs, lights on schedule etc.

kcsa75, Rik Peery and xxxapache like this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

My dad had his place broken into. It was the most common type of break in - the neighbor kids and their friends.

I let my yard guy know I'll be gone and ask him to check things out regularly. I make sure everything is locked up tight. I make sure things are put away and not left out. I stop my mail. And I have insurance.

4. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

No info given on trips, not on Farce Book, here, or verbally w/ the exception of a couple of neighbors, & they're retired & physically check on a daily basis; lights on timers, have cams that can be checked by phone, outside lights that cut on when something walks by, & a couple of trip wires rigged that'll create a heck of a racket if tripped...one advantage is there's only one way in/out up here, creating a bottle neck...

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I have never had anything broken into or stolen nor do i know anyone who has.
    In our farming neighborhood everyone looks out for each other and we are all armed well too the criminals from the larger cities know it and avoid this area like the plague.

6. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

We dont worry about it because....
    1. our neighbors keep an eye out when we are gone...and we return the favor.
    2. we have an ADT alarm system
    3. we have cameras outside and inside on each floor. If they detect motion, we get an alert on our phone and can view them remotely to see whats going on.

Im not paranoid...i just used to travel for work and was gone for long periods of time.

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    dbhost, HappyTraveler and Rik Peery like this.
  7. tombiasi

Never discuss your security system with anyone.

Fishman1 and Kampus like this.
  8. Kampus

Kampus Active Member

That's no secret. Any passer by can easily see the cameras and ADT signage.....and its all I am willing to share.

As a side note, many local police department's have a "home check request". Around here you can notify them online if you will be away for an extended period of time and they put your place on an active patrol route. http://slatebeltpd.psatstwp.org/vacation-residence-check/

HappyTraveler likes this.
  9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I usally let my neighbors know im going away, they have a key and check on stuff bring in the mail etc. Its good to have good neighbors!

10. tombiasi

That's a nice service. Of course if they are at your house they can tell you have a system.:smiley:

11. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

We were broken into one time while we were away, but two of our adult children were still at the house. They went out for the evening and the house got hit while they were away. We learned a valuable lesson from that: home insurance does not cover loss of cash over a couple of hundred dollars.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  12. Toedtoes

The criminals from the big city aren't the main problem. They are out there, but they are a minimal threat.

The biggest threat of burglary comes from your own neighborhood. It's the teenage boys hanging out down the street. It's the family friend's kids' drug buddies. They look for opportunity and it often comes from a casual "you should see my neighbor's coin collection".

We had a series of home invasion robberies in the tri-county area. The ones doing it knew all the victims except one. The victims were the parents or employers of the crooks' buddies. The last victim was a home chosen in one of their friend's neighborhoods because the main crook believed "those type of people always have money". They had apparently run out of known houses and were starting to expand.

We only hear about the "industrial sized" burglaries. The ones on a big scale that make the news. But those are in the minority. It's the opportunistic neighborhood thefts and burglaries that are going to happen to you. The kids breaking into your car to find cash. The breaking into your garage for tools to pawn. The breaking in just because they're bored.

13. Toedtoes

That was what my dad thought about his neighborhood. Until the local kids broke in and stole a bunch of stuff while he was gone. His good neighbors were checking on his house. Their son's friends were the ones to break in.

14. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Prob your kids that took it haha

15. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I don't find the loss of my personal property or the violation of my home to be very funny.

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  16. erich82

erich82 Active Member

Never said it was, think you read too deep into that. That being said, it's not very smart to leave large amounts of cash at home.

LittleBrother likes this.
  17. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

Stuff happens. But that's not going to stop me from going on vacation, attending funerals, or attending a social event organized online where the list of attendees is public. I have a home and a vacation home that we built 20+ years ago. It is empty most of the year. None of my homes have ever been broken into. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one person I have ever known that has ever had a problem - and like mentioned above - it was their daughters boyfriend... The way I look at is that 'things' can be replaced and the risk of something bad happening is not going to keep me locked up in the house. Don't worry. Be Happy. ;)

Tulip, Toedtoes and Rik Peery like this.
  18. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

The only thing stolen from my family was my brother's scooter. We went on vacation, he told his so called friends he would be away. Next thing we know we got word from a neighbor the garage was broken into and no scooter. Nothing else was taken and house still secure. 90% sure it was my brother's friend or their friend who took it. No proof though and police didn't find anything other than a broken lock.

19. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

I have an alarm system, nosey neighbors, a loud dog, and smart home lighting that randomizes lights as if someone is going through the house in the evenings. While I have never had a break in to my home, I have had storage units that were burglarized. I am not particularly concerned for my home as like I said, security system, including video, stored offsite. I get broken into if they manage to slip by the police response, I will have evidence of who they are...

My biggest risk is my neighbors kids who are already aware they are being watched. (Criminal history, cops like cruising by slowly just to remind them...).

Rik Peery likes this.
  20. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Nope. We live on a large property with a few homes of extended family. Always someone around. Even if we weren't, we have enough dogs to run anyone off. And plenty of guns to protect ourselves when we are home.

When we lived in a neighborhood, always had neighbors keeping an eye on things.