bulb replacement question

Discussion in 'Road Safety Systems' started by lkc, Mar 19, 2018.

1. lkc

lkc Active Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all---I need to replace a few running light bulbs #194's on my trailer. The coleman parts store wants $2.95 for a 2 pack and I can get these LED bulbs for $13.99 for 20 count ----https://www.amazon.com/Lights-Bright-Reverse-Replacement-Interior/dp/B079ZS129K/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1521467932&sr=8-2-spons&keywords=light+bulbs+%23194&psc=1

Can anyone tell me if these really will replace the regular #194 bulbs? The description says yes, but I've found sometimes Amazon is not exactly correct.

It also says something about the polarity when inserting these LED bulbs---I didn't realize there WAS a polarity issue with the #194 bulbs? I just push the new bulb into the slot--didn't even look to see (if I could SEE that teeny tiny print) if there was a + or -????

I'm taking advantage of any nice day on the weekends to try & get a jump on the first camping weekend! Lot of (hopefully) small things to do.

TIA!

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    I won't by by bulbs from Amazon for two reasons. The first is because of what you said - they are not always correct. The second, is because I don't want to buy in bulk. I only need a couple of LED replacement bulbs. My local RV repair and supply shop sells individual bulbs so I go there to get them.

And, yes, there are polarity issues with LED bulbs. Just flip them around and they will work.

My pup uses these:

Tail - #1157
    Clearance - #194
    Porch - #1141
    Interior Overhead - #921

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Somewhere in Idaho
    Can't say if they fit or not, however, LED bulbs can have a polarity issue. If you insert and they do not work, you just removed and turn 180 degrees and re-install.

4. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
  5. p

p Active Member

Jun 9, 2014
    Buy them online or nothing. Local RV store has LED pup bulbs for $20/ each.

kcsa75 and xxxapache like this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    Check your local DOT regulations. Some states are picky and you may not pass an inspection if one is required, or you may get pulled over because the LEDs are too bright and not approved for highway use. I seem to recall someone here had mentioned it, but I think it was somewhere over by KY or that area.

I bought my interior LED lights on Amazon, no complaints and they were cheap. Make sure you get ones rated for 12-24V or so. The cheap ones that are only rated for 12V will fail eventually as they cannot handle the voltage fluctuations you see with a car/trailer combo.

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    You shouldn't replace your exterior trailer lights (running lights, tail lights) with LED lights. Like Sneezer said, it can cause problems with. Replacing the interior lights is always recommended. You can replace your exterior porch light with LED because it doesn't run off of your trailer hitch plug.

I wanted to replaced my boat trailer lights a few years ago when they started becoming popular and was told by the service center that you need to rewire the trailer for LED lights to work properly and reliably.

8. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I've replaced all my exterior lights with leds. the only issue I had was with the side markers. the first bulbs I bought didn't fit in my lights, I had to use bulbs like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H1SD1O...OP&pd_rd_r=94A2XGS17MMAV49TS98S&pd_rd_w=acTCW. now I did replace all scotch locks with solders and heat shrink, but I did that when I first got the trailer not when I changed the bulbs. I hate scotch locks, I know people use them and have not had a lot of issues but the amount of them I replace at work is enough for me to eliminate them. 12vdc is 12vdc as long as all the connections are good and solid the wiring shouldn't be an issue. now if you put leds in your tv you would probably have to add resistors so the flasher will work properly.

9. Fless

Fless Active Member

As mentioned, the LED polarity is easily corrected by inserting the bulb 180°.

The issue you may have is how far the LEDs stick out of the socket. You may have to use fairly "stubby" LEDs.

When I replaced the running lights on my '02 Cheyenne, I replaced the entire fixtures with manufactured LED fixtures. One thing to watch out for on those is using bulb-type (or expanding) rivets when attaching to plastic.
    _