bulldog jacks? why not?

Discussion in 'Leveling Your Camper' started by Katskamper, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    B91C3768-EF16-460F-BADB-8507A82BD6F9.jpeg
    why cant popups have bulldog jacks?
    everyone serms to use Anderson, BAL, or blocks of wood.

i have Bulldog jacks on my cargo/ kitchen trailer & no matter how lumpy the ground, i get accurate level & 5 solid feet touching the ground, & it doesnt move — at all.

i still want bulldogs jacks, especially if i get new axle & do the lift up.

why CANT i have the circle mounts welded to the frame?
    would i have to reinforce the frame to do this?
    tell me why its a bad idea.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    Ok, so what I've seen of many PUP frames, is the OUTER frame rail isn't a true load bearing section. The main beams run down the center, and they are sized to support the weight of the trailer. The outer frame rails are simply there to give the walls something to rest on and can warp upwards if too much load is applied. That's why they say they are stabilizers, not jacks for leveling.

If your outer frame can take the weight, then I guess you could do it, or you could attach them to the main frame rails somehow.

That's what I've seen. If you Google some images of pup frames, you get quite a few that look like this... as you can see, the outer frame is just cantilever from the main rails.
    pupframe.jpg

Good luck!

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Ontario
    The above picture is an excellent image for showing how easily the frame can be warped by leveling with stabs... If you look at the 5'ers and MoHo's with levelers, you'll see that even those are mounted to the main frame rails.

4. Katskamper

Katskamper Active Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Fort Worth, TX
    so if i mount to main frame, still a problem?

my back stabiliser got crunched going over huge traffic bump.
    i have car jacks i can use but they are a pain to use.

5. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    If you can attach it to the main rail, a stab is a stab in my opinion. The frame won't sense the load any differently if it comes into the frame at the same place.

6. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    Take your idea to a local welding or trailer hitch shop and see what they recommend. Rather than weld on a bung they can probably weld a piece of tubing under the entire width of the trailer that the bulldog would attach to. This would also make the frame much stronger.

Katskamper likes this.