Bungee button replacement mod

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Dubbya, Aug 25, 2014.

1. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I've looked for replacements but the parts guys at the local RV shops all give me that "deer in the headlights" stare when I ask for bungee buttons or "those little circular deals that hold the bungee cords in place under the bunk and that keep the bunkend sidewalls snug".

Any of the simple solutions I've tried or considered either don't hold up, damage the endwall trim, are hard to find, take forever to get here or are just too expensive.

While perusing the local hardware store this weekend, I finally came up with a method that will be infinitely more durable and that will easily outlast the stock plastic or metal bungee buttons that are screwed to the underside of the bunkends.

The problem I came across was that whatever I tried inevitably ended up being sheared off, bent or otherwise destroyed by the endwall trim while pulling the bunkends out or pushing them back in. While this is by no means a "bulletproof" solution but the components are easy to find, are certainly more durable, work very well and it's easy enough to do.

I spied an assortment of adjustable metal and rubber chair glides with 1/4" bolts. I chose the 1-1/16" (26mm) chair glides ($3.99 ea). To make installation easier and to prevent the mattresses from being torn over time, I opted to mount the chair glides to the undersides of the bunks using "T" nuts ($0.15 ea).

The chair glides seem pretty durable, they've got a natural groove in them making them easy to wrap bungee cord around and they've got a solid mounting bolt built in.

[​IMG]

I removed the remaining (and badly damaged) bungee buttons from the underside of the extended front bunk, then drilled 5/16" holes in the same screw holes. I then knocked in the "T" nuts with a hammer and removed the plastic adjustment sleeves from the chair glides.

[​IMG]

With the "T" nuts flushed and seated into the plywood, I spun the the chair glides into the "T" nuts from under the bunk and snugged them up with a pair of pliers.

[​IMG]

Rinse and repeat on the rear bunk and viola! They work like a charm and they're about the same height as the factory installed plastic bungee buttons.

[​IMG]

Obviously, the thing to remember now is to lift up when pulling the bunks out or pushing them back in. In the event that I damage or destroy these through brute strength, utter carelessness and/or total incompetence, they're simple enough to replace.

gail58 likes this.
  2. Oranges Rhymed

Oranges Rhymed Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Very nice!

3. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Looks great.
    For 1/4-20 T-nuts, what size drill bit did you use for the holes?
    I could never get the right size and used a larger bit, then fill the hole with glue. Very low tech.

4. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    I drilled 5/16" holes and tapped then in with a hammer so they'd be flush with the bunk surface and not chew up the undersides of the mattresses.

5. LISA1969

LISA1969 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    Dubbya nice job did you replace the bungee too i need to do that on my Bayside it has deteriorated is some spots.

6. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Thanks, Lisa! Not a big deal, it's just easier than trying to find the OEMparts then replacing them when they get crushed or torn off again.

I see that the new campers use 2" wide Velcro now. Makes sense too.

7. 4cripesake

4cripesake New Member

Apr 13, 2015
    Thanks, what a great idea! Thanks for doing the leg work and sharing with us all

8. Dubbya

Aug 2, 2011
    Steinbach, MB
    Happy to help! Enjoy!

9. AZcouple

AZcouple New Member

Mar 5, 2018
    We purchased a used hybrid and we were wondering what the heck the bungee is used for, we looked in the owner manual and it says "Stretch the tent bungee cords around the bell washers under the fold down." no picture as to how to do this and we just are not understanding. What does this do?