buy it or move on...

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by dogdocaz, Apr 17, 2018.

1. dogdocaz

dogdocaz New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    I'm in the process of getting a flagstaff 2014 hw27sc. It would have been mine if not for a hiccup on the part of the bank/lien/out of state seller so I offered to hold it for seller until u could finalize at bank... that's when the fun began.

Initially saw popup already setup. It has sat uncovered dormant for 1 yr in az. The current original owner had left light on and closed camper allowing the light to melt through the back and side paneling which were replaced by dealer last year. He is selling now since he is out of state. He admitted that the caretaker of this god last year noted that it leaked around the ac but after caulking externally that resolved the issue.

Once I got it home (still haven't paid until bank can get papers) tried to do a setup and the power lift fails... call owner and he agrees to get it checked out. Met a nice retired guy that was referred by shop to look at lift... says easy fix but oh by the way the roof looks odd and you might want me to look at it because it may need a brace to support the ac... ok.

My question is should the roof sag a little over time? Is that normal? I'm worried it has more to do with the heat damage from the melting light and if so what else will happen over time. That and the sealing of the ac is that normal in heat yearly?

I'm fine getting used.. just don't know what I'm really getting. If the slight sag in roof is ok I'll just resign myself to sealing ac unit regularly.

Any help welcome.

2. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Do you have pictures? It would help us help you.

3. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Apr 29, 2015
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Not sure if this would apply to that camper (others more knowledgeable can chime in) but maybe the A/C roof gasket needs to be replaced?

jnc likes this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Run away

5. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Aug 1, 2014
    Thousand Oaks CA
    I would say that roof sag is not acceptable. It will only get worse. The A/C shouldn't have been caulked, it should have had the gasket replaced.
    Roof sag + leak + melted fixture = not for me.

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Take it back and move on.

7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    Move on...

...Unless you get it for a song. If you can get this pup for thousands under the NADA value and you have the patients, skill and/or money to fix all of the issues, then it may be doable.

x2 on the A/C gasket. Although A/C gaskets are cheap, water damage repair is not.

Roof sag is never a good thing. To me, structural problems are a drop dead, do not pass go issue. You may have to rebuild the roof because of multiple issues.

Buying used is not a bad thing if the previous owners took care of their pup. Sounds like there was a bit of neglect on this one.

8. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Run as fast as you can. Good luck!

9. dogdocaz

dogdocaz New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Is it common to need to seal the ac units with normal weather exposure?

10. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Absolutely not. You should never have to "seal" the AC unit. Occasionally the gasket will need replaced, although ours is 20 years old and fine.

It sounds like the sag in the roof is causing water to collect around the AC. Even so, it shouldn't need sealed in any way.

11. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2017
    Maplewood, MN
    It is common to reseal any of your seals anywhere on your pup. Some areas of the country it is needed earlier than others. When I bought my three year old pup, one of the first things on the list was to check and reseal any seams that remotely looked questionable. I found plenty of seams that needed attention.

I check all of the seams almost every time I use my pup.

12. Toolmaker13

Toolmaker13 Member

Aug 22, 2016
    Run Forest run!!!!

jnc, myride and giadiep like this.
  13. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

14. dogdocaz

dogdocaz New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    From buyer per repair person... roof not sagging because he cannot lift up the low spot and inside looks ok. Shop offers no brace through forrest river anyway per dealer parts guy.

15. dogdocaz

dogdocaz New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Is the roof perfectly flat on most popups or is there any chaneling for water?

16. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Aren't you the buyer?

17. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    Again, pictures will help us see what you are talking about.

18. dogdocaz

dogdocaz New Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Sorry meant seller... no pic that would show up... white roof

19. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Feb 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So the seller is having his repair shop fix it? Cancel the sale and tell the guy that you'll come look at it after repairs are made if both parties are still interested.

Byrd_Huntr likes this.
  20. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    What JustRelax said