Camp Chef Versatop Grill

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by DerekCamperDad, Oct 29, 2018.

1. DerekCamperDad

DerekCamperDad New Member

Jan 26, 2018
    Calgary, AB. Canada
    Anyone try one of these yet?

https://www.campchef.com/versatop-grill.html

I like that I can use my 14" accessories on a smaller more portable tabletop unit. In some sites we like in the mountains you can't leave your stove out due to bears. This looks much easier to set up and break down than the 2 burner expedition

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California
    Looks nice and easy to clean compared to small grills like Weber and Nexgrill.

3. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I picked up the Blackstone griddle that is very similar to the Camp Chef. I honestly was unaware that Camp Chef had their own version. I got mine on clearance at Target this season (early xmas present) so I have not yet had the chance to cook with it. My other stove is a Camp Chef Weekender that gets the most use. Larger than a typical Coleman style camp stove, but smaller than the 14"/16" double burners that they sell. I have been pretty happy with mine.

I have cooked on Camp Chef stoves with their griddles on our troop campouts and I really enjoy it. The Blackstone got incredible reviews and I got it for cheap, so it got picked up. Regular price they are $100 and you can frequently find them discounted to $80, especially now as summer cooking gear starts to be clearance out. If you already have the grill box and/or oven and enjoy cooking with them then this might be a better solution than a Blackstone. I couldn't justify the cost for the accessories when I have enough decent gear that I caught on deep discount.

Check the burner assembly - not sure how camp chef has there burner but there are some that use a U-burner, H-burner or a single straight one. From what I could tell the H did the best job at distributing the heat all over and eliminating hot spots.

4. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sep 5, 2015
    Syracuse, NY
    I also have the 17” Blackstone griddle. Well made and it cooks well. It is my favorite to cook on at campsites and I sometimes use it at home. I bought a fitting and hose to adapt to my low pressure rv outlet. Never tried the camp chef one, but can vouch for the Blackstone.