Camp Gulf, Miramar Beach, FL

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by NorcrossFlyer, Sep 10, 2018.

1. NorcrossFlyer

NorcrossFlyer Member

Oct 26, 2015
    North Georgia
    Great campground near Destin, FL that runs right in to the beach. The first row is 100% in the sand while the 2nd row (the one we were on sits on a concrete pad but practically speaking it is also 100% in the sand (It's everywhere).

The beach sites are close together due to the exclusivity but they're not as tight as you would think. There is only one beachfront site that should be avoided at all cost and that is the one to the right of the public access. Pick that spot and you will have people passing right in front of your door all day.

What surprised me was how nice many of the spots were further away from the beach. Some were just ok but others were buried in trees and bushes. One of these spots might be a better option because you are still close to the beach and you won't be living in that powder-fine sand that sticks to everything and gets everywhere.

The park is well staffed and run. Check in doesn't require a visit to the office before setting up. Someone is waiting at the gate and you follow a golf cart to your spot. They will even help you back your rig in. Once you're all settled you go to the office to settle your bill and whatnot. I didn't visit a bathhouse but my wife said they were almost Disney-grade.

There are two pools that are always loaded with kids. One pool has a couple of slides and the other had a inflatable water obstacle thing that the kids loved. There is an activity center with pool tables, an Xbox, etc. They even had a entertaining demonstration from a alligator trapper where you could pet or sit on (seriously) a live alligator. One night a local restaurant came and hosted a fish fry. This was truly a "RV Resort". I saw a couple pups but most spots were occupied by larger rigs.

You take your chances during hurricane season. Their official policy is no refunds ever. If the area goes under a mandatory evacuation you will get full credit for a future stay that must be used within a year. Otherwise you risk losing a night which is a pretty big penalty at this place.

20180903_124915.jpg

hq308 and PopUpSteve like this.
  2. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Active Member

Jul 30, 2014
    Kentucky
    Nice review. We love the Miramar Beach area and have stayed at a condo with the in-laws’ time-share a couple times. I wanted to check out Camp Gulf last time we were down there but never got the chance. This is still on my wishlist for one of these years.

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Thanks for sharing. A nice beach, but a bit out of my price range at $104 night, plus fees. [:O]

We're staying 7 nights at St. Andrews for $116 total, just down the shore a bit. I've never been there, and our site looks private, I hope it turns out to be the case. We camp on the Atlantic just about every month, but not as much good camping on the gulf.

St. George Island is nice, but never again in the summer!