Camp or Home made Mc Muffins

Discussion in 'Healthy Outdoor Cooking' started by brianbigdogsmith, Dec 14, 2013.

1. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Feb 20, 2012
    Melviindale MI.
    I have a microwave cooker that cooks two eggs at once you butter the bottom and place the egg in it and cook for 45 seconds than add any meat you like and a slice of cheese and cook for another 5 seconds or till the cheese melts place on a toasted muffin and eat, easy to make and the kids love them and cheep too enjoy

2. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
  3. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Dec 4, 2007
    California Coast
    Thank you for offering a healthier version here in the "healthy outdoor cooking" section, Tacoma_Jim.

4. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

Sep 15, 2013
    I bake the biscuits at home and freeze them. Take them to the campsite, cook eggs and bacon, warm biscuits on grill, add cheese. DONE. Same for biscuits and gravy. Cook sausage at camp, make gravy, pour over warm biscuits. Same could be done with muffins. [ALPU] [PUT]

5. Jayko

Jayko Jayco 141J aka Big Bertha

Jul 10, 2012
    We do our McMuffins over the camp fire pit. A grill for the meat and toasting the English Muffin. Then we use one side of our round pudgie pie iron to cook an egg in. It is a perfect size for an English muffin.

6. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    What's this biscuits and gravy doing in the healthy cooking section? [:D]

We take those tubes of biscuits with us camping. I cook up the biscuits in the dutch oven. A tube of those larger biscuits fit great in a 10" dutch oven.

7. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

Sep 15, 2013
    My defintion of the "healthy" is: Indicative of sound, rational thinking, such as "a healthy attitude". Since I am a farm kid, I was raised that you shouldn't waste anything and not wasting anything is indicative of sound, rational thinking. Therefore making gravy from sausage is healthy. That's my rationale for posting this in the healthy cooking section [size=10pt]since I will not admit I didn't read the heading of the thread[/size] [:D]

8. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Aug 27, 2010
    I try to eat healthy but otherwise, moderation works. I am currently overdosing on Christmas cookies as everyone wants me to try them [:(O] Not a big sweet eater and they insist I try in front of them! I work at an RV Park in Fl and it's filling up fast. Belly aches... [8D]

9. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    It's kind of hard to make out in the picture, but I do these bacon, egg, and cheese muffins at camp with a lodge cast iron muffin pan inside a 14" dutch oven. They are very yummy and easy to make. I also make them at home in the regular oven.

[​IMG]

10. DAMN YANKEE

DAMN YANKEE New Member

Apr 18, 2013
  11. brianbigdogsmith

brianbigdogsmith Camp more Camp more often

Feb 20, 2012
    Melviindale MI.
    The DW bought me one of those works OK but heating thing up and cleaning it was a pain and the coffee craft was to small

12. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Hmmm.....I didn't know these existed. This might work. Place for the egg, place for the meat and grill the muffin.

[​IMG]

13. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Poconos
    I place one untoasted English muffin into a Pam sprayed pie iron. Crack egg, ham, and cheese onto the muffin. Pam spray second pie iron and place other English on top. PLace above fire and perfect in 5 minutes!

14. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Can you use the pie iron on a propane stove as well?

15. cma7777

cma7777 Member

Jan 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Please post your recipe.

16. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Oct 15, 2011
    I have an electric griddle that I cook on outside of the camper. I used to use a toaster to toast the english muffins, until I discovered that if I buttered the english muffin first, I could grill it on the griddle. This allows me to cook the meat, the egg and the muffin all on the griddle.

Do the same thing at home, but use the toaster at home.

17. woobie

woobie My PUP is newer than my Tow Vehicle

Sep 30, 2013
    They look delicious. How long does it take to make them?

18. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2012
    Northeast Pennsylvania
    Here you go CMA777.

Bacon Egg and Cheese Muffins

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
    9 to 10 slices sandwich bread
    7 slices bacon7 large eggs
    1 bag shredded mild cheddar cheese
    Salt and pepper

Instructions:

In a 14 inch Dutch oven, cook bacon until almost crisp, 4 minutes, flipping once. (It will continue to cook in the oven.)
    Remove bacon, and wipe out oven.
    Preheat same 14 inch Dutch oven to 375 degrees. Use 9 coals on the bottom, and 20 coals on top.
    Using a Lodge round cast iron muffin pan, lightly butter all 7 cups.
    Flatten bread slices with rolling pin and remove crust.
    Form bread slices into each muffin cup, making sure bread comes up to edge of cup.
    Use extra bread to patch any gaps. Brush bread with remaining butter.
    Lay 1 bacon slice in each bread cup.
    Crack an egg over each, and season with salt and pepper.
    Place muffin pan into Dutch oven, and bake until egg whites are just set, about 20 minutes.
    Sprinkle each cup with cheese, and let melt.
    Remove pan from oven, and run a small knife around cups to loosen toast.
    Serve immediately.
    Makes 7 servings.

19. CaliforniaPoppy

CaliforniaPoppy California and beyond!

Dec 4, 2007
    California Coast
    I can't help but think that posting a recipe like this to the "Healthy Outdoor Cooking" forum is akin to discussing your favorite beer in a Clean and Sober Living forum.

20. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

Oct 16, 2011
    Oregon
    Ya....it's starting to sound more like the "Profanity" topic. [:D]