Camp Stoves

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Pirate_Popup, Dec 14, 2015.

1. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2017
    I purchased a dual fuel coleman for 1/2 of retail it was brand new carried it to Europe as there is no coleman fuel there!!

2. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    I have a coleman 2 fuel car gas or white gas!!

3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    We have about 4 white gas stoves. 3 of them are Coleman and the other is light weight one for Backbacking. Won't use anything else but a WHITE gas fueled one.

Attached Files:

4. xvz12

xvz12 Active Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    I have 3 Coleman 'suitcase' stoves, all of them date back to the early '60s, one of them looks like it had been thrown off a cliff at some point, but all run very well. Just got back from camping, where we were using the 3-burner one, along with a Coleman camp oven. I have several 'backpacker' type stoves, in butane, white gas & kerosene versions, which have been used on motorcycle camping expeditions, & i don't know how many various 'cabin' type stoves, again of pretty much all fuel varieties. Nowadays, the Coleman white gas 3 burner gets most of the work, about the only thing the propane stove in the PUP gets used for is to heat water for DW's morning cocoa. I do keep a backpacker model tucked away in the PuP, just in case....

5. BirdsNest

BirdsNest Active Member

Jun 12, 2017
    Utah
    I have an RVQ stove that hangs on a bracket on the side of the PUP that handles most of the cooking duties if we aren't "going wild" and cooking straight on the campfire. The stove inside the trailer only gets used to heat water and other similar things that don't produce any smells that might be absorbed into the canvas. I'll probably eventually get a portable Coleman for extra cooking duties when needed, but for now this seems to work OK for us. The only time it has been a challenge so far was when I tried to do a 'real' breakfast with eggs, bacon, sausage, and pancakes. I had to cook those in shifts since there's no way it would all fit on the RVQ and I didn't want any of them inside the trailer.

6. bob barnes

Mar 26, 2017
    the best coleman I have is a single burner all fuel job that things hums on car gas!!!!

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Active Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I have a Coleman roadtrip that I adapted to run off the low pressure camper port. It works well, but it is not great at boiling water. When I have the stove grates on it takes forever to boil even a small amount of water. It excels at being used as a griddle with the griddle plates, and works well as a grill too.

I also use an old Coleman white gas stove that works quite well, and a Coleman 3 burner eventemp stove. I really like this one, but adjusting the flame is a pita.

Looking to move to a Camp Chef stove of some type.

8. Eric Lamontagne

Eric Lamontagne New Member

May 23, 2017
    Cornwall, Ontario
    I use a 2 burner cheap 1lb bottle propane special with an adapter hose 5ft long to 20lb bottle.

works great for all my needs and with my old rig (1979 bonair) didn't trust the propane so sat on the rack.

new rig havent taken i out yet but has indoor outddor burner ( 1998 coleman sea pine)

9. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    Having just lost a two burner Coleman liquid fuel stove to water damage over the winter, I went to Craigslist and found a good used three burner. Now we're really gonna be cooking!

More seriously, I favor the liquid fueled stoves for their higher heat output and lower fuel cost. A stove that can easily be set up on a picnic table or folding stand or tailboard of the pickup is a must for us. That said, I must say the little one burner Coleman butane canister stove is a delight when all that is desired is hot water for coffee or instant soup.

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I love my 3 burner liquid fuel. I picked a new one up at a Coleman outlet on clearance right before they discontinued them.

11. Popiworks

Popiworks Paddle faster, I hear banjos!

Jul 22, 2014
    I just received a Primus Base Camp propane stove from Amazon. I ordered one from Amazon Warehouse and it arrived without a scratch and in good working order at half the cost. Windy here today and I was able to maintain a low flame without blow out. Looks promising.

12. CamperLover

CamperLover For evil to triumph, Good men do nothing

Jul 28, 2015
    I have it all. I camp in large groups. I use a smoker, camp chefoven, dual fuel stoves, grill, flat top. Camp Chef C-oven is the best bang for the money.
    7a4e3cd9e84fc9ed.jpg

13. Fbird

Fbird Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I use a coleman 413b from the mid 40's. I don't boil water much. I think the temp control is better than propane and they work better in the winter time.

xxxapache and kitphantom like this.
  14. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    We have a Camp Chef oven and a Camp Chef Everest stove. We have 4 burners between the two of them and love them both.

15. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I have this stove. It's high pressure and is just as hot , if not hotter than the Coleman white gas stove which I also have.

16. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I have one of the old green Coleman stoves, I converted it to LP, prior to that I soldered a schrader valve in the tank so I could pump air in with a bicycle pump while cooking. .

17. rich2

rich2 Active Member

May 3, 2007
    Northampton, PA
    I have a few Coleman white gas stoves which I love, however bought a adaptor which allows be to use small propane bottles, now I have the best of both worlds.

18. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Can you explain why it's now the "best"? I don't understand converting a good white gas stove to use 1# bottles. We actually like cooking on white gas, and it's easy to refill the tank, handy too, since the backpacking stove is also white gas. The 1# propane bottles are more uneven as they empty, as I found out with the Little Rec Campfire. (Once I had space in the TV to tote it, we bought another 20# LP tank.) Friends also ended up buying a 5# LP tank due to inconsistency with the 1# bottles on their cook stoves.