Camp Stoves

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Pirate_Popup, Dec 14, 2015.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Low pressure propane stoves will definitely be "whimpy" compared to white gas but the high pressure ones like the camp chef maoutain series will be right up there with white gas.

ArizonaJoe likes this.
  2. Jim_Rockford

Jim_Rockford Member

Apr 7, 2014
    I love white gas too, To me those propane stoves are just a waste its so expensive and Im not too lazy or unprepared as to not being able to light my own stove.

xxxapache likes this.
  3. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    I’m a big fan of white gas 4 stoves 5 lanterns and growing..

xxxapache likes this.
  4. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Minnesota
    Anyone thinking about getting a Coleman stove or lantern should definitely take a look at eBay. With all of the options out there now for cooking and lighting, many people are selling off their vintage USA or Canada made Colemans at givaway prices.

Bowman3d likes this.
  5. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

Apr 13, 2015
    LaLa land
    Offer up, Facebook marketplace. You can get good deals on evilbay but you have to watch shipping.

6. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    Yeah, shipping is usually the eBay budget killer.

Flea markets are my go to place. I have bought a pile of stoves, lanterns, and heaters for under 20 bucks.....My last stove purchase was a 426 and 413 for 20 bucks for the pair.

Bowman3d likes this.
  7. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Midwest
    What a steal! I got my 1966 413G for $25. It was never used.

Bowman3d likes this.
  8. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

May 17, 2014
    We have three moveable stoves, mini, midi and maxi, and find all useful. What goes along varies with the type of trip.
    The mini is a butane canister fueled single burner with piezo igniter, received as a gift. Great for quick use, and for the big coffee pot at rallies. I'm surprised at how much I like it.

The midi is a two burner Coleman white gas unit inherited from my parents. Think it dates from the early 1950's. Had it serviced a few years ago when a Coleman rep was at McGuckin Hardware in Boulder. It was running okay, but flame control was irregular. The rep replaced the generator tube, and installed new seals in the valves. Still looks battered, but works as good as new.

The maxi is the big Coleman three burner white gasser, bought used a few years ago as a set with folding stand, a spare tank/valve/gen tube assembly and a protective heavy canvas cover. Was formerly used by a river rafting company. That third burner seems to add a lot more than fifty percent to the utility of the stove.

9. CivilizedOne

CivilizedOne Member

Mar 29, 2018
    Midwest
    I'm still hunting for a 3-burner white gas stove at a reasonable price.

10. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    It sucks that Coleman quit making the three burner. I bought a new one on clearance at a Coleman outlet. They had marked it down from $ 120 to $75. I think I may have gotten another 20 or 30% off that....I remember being a happy camper...lol

IMAG1926~2.jpg

myride likes this.
  11. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    A Coleman outlet? I would go broke.

tfischer and CivilizedOne like this.
  12. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I believe there only about a dozen Coleman stores/outlets in the US. I have been to three. I have gotten some fantastic deals.

13. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    I looked it up. I'm in Fort Lauderdale and the closest one to me in somewhere in GA. :(

14. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Nov 25, 2015
    Dayum, there is one only 25 miles from me! :D
    Sounds like a fun day trip.
    Got credit card, will travel.

15. JiffyPopJunkie

JiffyPopJunkie Active Member

Jun 5, 2014
    LG Region NY
    I have an outlet 5 miles from me.:D
    It helps me get through the winters

jnc likes this.
  16. weaselguys

weaselguys Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Montana
    We also prefer white gas stoves but carried a Camp Chef Coven in the popup so we could have the better oven.

my stoves.JPG

Lee's Alite and xxxapache like this.
  17. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Active Member

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    Absolutely, best and safest way to carry liquid fuel. Use for backpacking and paddling trips. Use a dedicated dry bag to store and tote.

18. xxxapache

Jul 30, 2008
    I do not see a problem storing fuel in the proper plastic container. Coleman sells fuel by the quart in plastic bottles.

19. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas

20. Dan from Troup

Apr 25, 2018
    Troup, Texas
    As long as it's made with HDPE and is rated for fuel storage. Metal containers have always been the gold standard but some plastics now will work too.