Camp Stoves

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Pirate_Popup, Dec 14, 2015.

1. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

That's actually part of the reason I own multiple stoves. Burner space.... I tend to use the Coleman 2 burner, AND the Brinkmann 2 burner for big cooks with groups. I'd really rather it be 2 Colemans but I digress there...

A good example is, for groups, we tend to do spaghetti with meat sauce, with garlic bread. And hot water for hot chocolate, tea, or whatnot...

That typically means I need 4 burners, 1 to make the meat sauce, 1 for boiling the noodles, 1 for the folding camp oven, and 1 for boiling water...

Of course we have been known to just make the garlic bread in foil over coals the camp fire, less fuss than the little Coleman oven...

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

The only altitude problem I know of is less available oxygen, but I haven't had a problem up to about 5000' so it must come into play somewhere above that.

3. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Hmmm. Good point. Again I know at sea level, with low temps there are pressure / fuel delivery problems... I've had to warm isobutatne canisters in my coat when backpacking in cold weather at elevations, but I have always been able to keep it working...

4. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

I know this is an old thread, and my apologies for digging up the dead, but I wanted to touch base on this concept.

At the time of the initial purchase, both the Ozark Trail, and Coleman stoves work well. However, comparing the Coleman to even the least expensive Coleman is like comparing apples and oranges. The Ozark Trail stoves are made of MUCH thinner, lower grade materials, and repair parts / support is completely non existent.

For what it's worth, there are lower cost camping stoves that are durable, and have available parts for long term support, and likewise higher cost stoves that are less durable and supportable.

I have a good collection of stoves, including 2, 2 burner propane stoves, 1 Coleman Classic 2 burner, and 1 Brinkmann 2 burner stainless steel. The Coleman cost half what the Brinkmann did, 14 years after I got the Brinkmann... PLUS when things break on the Coleman, I can get parts from Coleman and keep it going. If say the regulator on my Brinkmann breaks, I have to throw the whole thing out...

5. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We only use Colman white gas type, 2 burner stove. We also bring an extra, one burner in case the normal one has some failure. Having said that, we haven't needed the back-up in many years. (yes I test run it) We tend to cook meats on the camp fire and everything else on the white gas stove and of course outdoors.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  6. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Member

From what I gather the best camp stove is the one you are using. I remember from The Simpsons the advice Ned Flanders got from the church minister urging Flanders to find some other denomination "they are all pretty much the same."

Snow likes this.
  7. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Oh I love my Coleman white gas / dual fuel stove. I have an MSR Whisperlite, a very old circa 1990 model I believe it was, that I use as a backup just in case, HOWEVER, many if not most folks are unwilling to deal with filling and pumping / priming a liquid fuel stove.

From an efficiency standpoint, liquid fuel stoves are FAR more efficient, and cost effective long term to operate.

My biggest concern with the 424 I have is that the right burner is 9K BTU, the left only 6K, and operation of the left burner is dependent upon the right. Kind of quirky in my opinion, but you get used to it quick. Any meat that gets grilled, if I have decent cooking wood gets cooked on a camp fire, failing that, I set up a grate over a charcoal fire in the pit. Or use a Smokey Joe... But for skillet frying say browning ground beef for spaghetti (we do a lot of spaghetti dinners while camping as it feeds a LOT of people fast, and cheap...) I do that on the stove while the pot for the water is heating up on the other burner...

Before I met my wife, I was in a singles social group that went camping every couple of months. We would typically, with kids in tow, have a group of about 50. We would be able to handle meals with my white gas, my older stainless steel propane stove, and one of the ladies Coleman 2 burner, and one of the single dads Ozark Trail 2 burner. The OT was the biggest performance problem as its wind guards didn't work all that well, and it tended to blow out on windy days...

I digress though. The reason I mentioned, and recommended the propane is honestly, I figured it would likely end up being used inside of a pop up, and in my experience, propane stoves are FAR less likely to flare up than liquid fuel stoves... I've seen EZ Ups burned because of poor liquid fuel stove operation... You don't need a gallon of gas to prime your liquid fuel stove!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    neighbormike likes this.
  8. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

I got my wifes grandpas old gas coleman stove...switched it to propane and works really well

9. Arlyn Aronson

Our 1st pup had a propane stove in it and it worked fine. After we got our 2nd pup which had no stove, we reverted back to white gas, that worked fine as well and we occasionally heat shower water with it, which requires many a BTU's. Either system works just fine. We camp many times each summer and use less than one gallon of white gas and that stove is perfectly movable. That is cook on the trailer table or camp site table and we never have a bunch of little tanks to throw away. Either system is fine in our book camping.

10. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

How did you heat shower water with your white gas stove? There is a reason I ask. I have recently finished a build of a heat exchanger (coffee can and copper tubing) to use with a Zodi battery shower. It's simple and effective. The Zodi tubing is connected to the inlet of the heat exchanger, I added 10' of braided hi temp tubing, and a couple of hose clamps. Set it on the stove, turn the water on, heat up and shower. Not much different from my propane heated Zodi aside from the heat source, and you need to keep / or move the stove close to the shower...

An easier method would be to just heat up water for a tank to the temp you want, and just pump it using an unmodified Zodi.... Or similar. Simple, effective, but the water cools off kind of quick in cold weather.

11. Arlyn Aronson

We just heat water in a big pot, might be a 5 quart size but I'm not really sure. Then you dump this warm, or hot water into a dish pan mixing it with cool water to the showering temp you like. Then your shower system is pumping from this pan, while the pot is again heating water for the next person. We've done this while outside temps are around 40 but that's not the norm. For showing in cooler temps we do change a few things. We of course are using shower tents and letting the gray water run. Point is the only special thing you need is a shower pump, shower tent and large pot to heat water in. All the other items we have along.. For camping, we live via the KISS program. :)

12. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Active Member

BLASPHEMY! J/k while I prefer white gas I also bring my profane Camp Chef oven and a Profane BBQ for convenience. It is only a personal preference. My biggest problem I have is what combo of stoves I’m gonna take with me.2-3burners,4-large 2burners,1-small 2 burner,5 single burners to choose from.Then how much white gas will I need. Then I also have to choose which lanterns and how many. This camping stuff is not easy.

13. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

Yep that's camping life for you...we love it!

14. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

C4857994-D571-4DD8-9D7F-5EB0A7E8B6DB.jpeg The plan was to buy a camp chef two burner but I just couldn’t resist this at my neighbors yard sale. Sold one years ago and regretted it. Just something about these white gas stoves that I missed. $15 and two years worth of gas.

15. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

You know, for what it's worth. I see lots of folks saying Propane is more convenient. When you consider the absolute bulk of the 20lb tanks, the waste of the 1lb cylinders, I am happy as a clam to use a liquid fuel stove. Not sure about anyone else, but it seems like I get roughly the same usage out of 1 gallon of white gas as I do out of 1 filling of a 20lb propane tank.

Mind you, appliance efficiency varies a LOT. Stove vs stove, I find white gas uses very little fuel, lanterns propane vs liquid fuel, about the same, heaters. This is tricky as there are no new heaters on the market, but from my experience, my old Coleman 9K BTU white gas catalytic heaters use more fuel than my 9K BTU portable buddy heater, but cost per cost, it is still more effective to use white gas.

My big problem is water heater. I have a propane Zodi, and I also have an unheated Zodi that I modded, by making a copper coil and metal coffee can heat exchanger that fits on the stove. I have yet to test this as I just finished it this past winter but haven't had the opportunity to test it... I know the Propane Zodi drinks propane like crazy.

Another method of heating water of course is just in a big pot on the stove. Heat up your water in the pan, blend it with your water container to achieve desired temp, and drop in your battery shower pump and shower away...

Of course depending on the features on your Popup, your need for these various appliances varies.

16. Arlyn Aronson

Do get some oil in the pump and rotate it in hopes that it can be saved. I re-oil ours each spring. Last I checked, pump replacement are widely available.

17. gladecreekwy

IMO white gas stove burn hotter than propane. Could be the attitude we camp at (6500 -8000 ft) but my pups propane stove is weak. Any wind just makes it worse.

xxxapache likes this.
  18. gladecreekwy

Saved? It works great

19. Brad Jackson

Brad Jackson Member

I got one of those I found in my grandpas garage

20. Ken Lane

Ken Lane Active Member

Your Grandfather was a smart man!

Brad Jackson likes this.