Camping and the Landfill My NTU DO table

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by yetavon, May 6, 2014.

1. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Who else keeps there eye open for stuff at the landfill. Once found a brand new Coleman 2 burner stove in the opened box with fuel in the tank... [:D]
    My latest finds.....
    A stand, tabletop, wind screen and 3 cookie sheets from the metal pile for a DO table...
    [​IMG]
    A collapsed commercial 10x20 awning....enough salvageable parts to make a 10x10, new awning top off Ebay $35
    [​IMG]

Orchid likes this.
  2. cannibal

cannibal New Member

Jan 21, 2014
    the landfill here doesn't allow scavenging, but i'm usually scouring craigslist for things that people no longer want. it's amazing what things people are willing to throw away. I'm not an extreme environmentalist by any means, but the perfectly functional items that make it to the trash is appalling...maybe I am an extreme environmentalist and I just don't know it yet :p

3. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

Jan 13, 2014
    Ours is the same. Big NO SCAVENGING signs everywhere. Otherwise, my kids call me the original recycler. I'm always fixing something or building one thing out of another.
    I still remember, 55 years ago, peaking through a ceiling vent one night. My unemployed father was painting Tonka trucks he dug out of the dump so my brothers and I would have Christmas presents.

You made a great find. I swear, I enjoy things I repurpose more than those I purchase.

4. Mudfoot

Mudfoot New Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Reduce, REUSE, Recycle.

Good scores!

5. yetavon

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Ours here is the same way, But I know everyone there and they overlook a lot of things....They cant take anything but are known to set the "best" stuff off to the side in hopes it will get picked up. I'll bet I have acquired 2 dozen bed frame rails over the years for angle iron for projects....

6. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Mar 3, 2005
    It is amazing what gets thrown out, we have recycling centers at all our commercial properties that I manage Maintenance at. I have picked up a near brand new hand truck , powerful binoculars, metal shelving, new un-used keyboard and mouse, brand new flashlights, desk lamps etc....I take this stuff and give it to charities to sell. It is truly amazing what you will find.

7. backwoodsmama

backwoodsmama New Member

Mar 31, 2012
    Not out of the landfill, but we are straight up scavengers and "re-purposers" here, too. I don't believe in going out and buying new when you can repair it or buy one used for a steal!! OR, make your own!

8. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Nothing from the landfill but I've been known to stop and dig out of the trash. Lots of times thing are given to me and I fix them up for my own use. Most of my "toys" are like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. bflentje

bflentje Member

Aug 24, 2009
    I am 100% for reduce, reuse and recycle. But isn't a lot of what you're all talking about the same as trespassing? Most landfills and dumpsters are on private property.

10. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

Feb 25, 2014
    you don't even need to go to a landfill....just look at what folks throw away in your very own hood......you'd be amazed...
    I tell ya.....those with money have no concept of 'money' to those who don't have it.

11. xshield

xshield New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I thoroughly enjoy a good scavenge. My favorite saying of which my wife hates..."I could use that someday." I have an attic full of "useful" stuff that I never seem to use but hate to throw away.

12. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

May 29, 2012
    We have yearly spring cleanup days in these parts.. Just finished one in the community next to me.. You would be shocked at the stuff out for cleanup week.. TV, beds rails etc. bikes galore in various condition, you name it its there..Picked up a baseball bat to carry in the camper, plus enough 1/2 plastic conduit to do a job adding o/s plug on my house this summer.. over 125 ft. and I only took about half of it..
    Lots of people check these out every year.. In couple of weeks it will be my communities clean up week..

13. peaceful intactivist

peaceful intactivist New Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I've always found it bizarre that stores, schools, landfills, etc... will not allow someone to take what's in the trash. It's being thrown out!!!! Why do they care?? I really don't get it and it bugs me that we live in such a wasteful and disposable culture.

14. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

Fear of being sued.

15. WillH

WillH New Member

May 25, 2014
    I wish our landfill allowed "picking" but of course they do not. I operate on the old southern code. I use something until I can no longer keep it working or running, then I make something else out of it. We had a 70’s era TT that I built a sectional couch bed in out of a used shipping crate. I am certainly no tree hugger, but makes new things out of old is only logical to me. [8D]

16. yetavon

Mar 11, 2010
    Western NC
    Last trip found a HUGE solid gas grille, with side burner, figured it would make a great DO table, no major rust, was just missing the grate...wished I had looked around because I'll bet it was there....got it home and just for giggles hooked up a gas bottle....everything worked but one grill burner had issues....looked under and found mud daubers had built a nest in the tube, cleaned and now have a perfectly working grate less grille I don't need....

17. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

Feb 16, 2009
    EDEN, NORTH CAROLINA
    My landfill is off limits, but just driving around town on weekends, I find all kinds of neat stuff! If I find wooden furniture that is in reasonable shape, or certain appliances, I'm not afraid of picking them up and dropping off at Goodwill , or Salvation army. It provides them with goods and me a tax deduction!!
    PATMD

18. Indy

Indy Member

Jul 30, 2012
    We are terrible at repurposing things, but I like to pass them on to someone who will use them. When our awning poles got tore up in a storm, we set the whole awning at the campground next to the dumpster to see and ... yep, someone took it. We had a small potty that never got used - did the same, and it was gone quickly. We gave away the cassette toilet in our brand new camper to the guy who bought our old camper. I think we might pass along the propane grill that came with it too ... we never use it because we like charcoal better.

If we were handy though - I'm really digging that back awning mod and butcher block countertop. WOW!

19. ScottE

ScottE New Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Our landfill used to have a swap shop to encourage recycling. When the economy turned south, people started taking the stuff to sell and that's when fights started. I miss that.

20. travisma

travisma New Member

Jan 10, 2014
    I used to work at an upscale department store. We couldn't give returned items to charity, because people had a tendency of trying to return the items to the store for credit.

We had a very liberal return policy back then.

All clothing, bedding, etc. that we tossed into the dumpsters have to be sliced up with razor knives.

I asked why couldn't we just spray paint dots inside of the winter coats and blankets then donate to the homeless organizations, but it was against corporate policy.