Camping pet peeves

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JHOP, Jun 11, 2018.

1. JHOP

JHOP Active Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Have there been other threads like this?

We are camped next to the most obnoxious family this week. The little girl screams all the time. The father yells at the kids all the time. It's 11pm and the little kid still yells at the top of her lungs. I just feel like there's a respect thing at campgrounds that yelling all the dang time is rude?

Don't get me wrong. I have kids. I love the sound of kids playing and shrieking while playing. I do not like screaming for no reason.

Orchid, jumpoff and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. chambo

chambo Active Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Southern California
    2 weeks ago I was next to a TT that ran a big contractor style generator for hours at a time. The most irritating part about it was that he would wait until 8 or 9pm to run the genny to charge his batteries (he wasn't running an AC). Why not charge them earlier in the day Mr. Poopypants? Ugh.

jumpoff likes this.
  3. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

May 19, 2016
    We've generally had good luck with CG neighbors, but our experience last year at Yosemite left us shaking our heads.

We had a site in Crane Flat right across from the bathroom, in the center of the loop. The way things are set up, one can, with a bit of consideration for their neighbors, scoot from the far end of the loop, through the middle, and to the bathroom without really being too close to people's campsites. (I'm giving a LOT of benefit of the doubt here...LOL)

So, shortly after we get set up, I hear my dog barking like there was someone close to our camper. Wellll...the guy was walking close enough to our camper that he could have reached out and touched the bunk as he walked by. Me (being me) went over and stood between the two trees next to our camper, where he had walked through, forcing him to go around on his way back to his campsite.

After this happened, my partner and I decided to tie a rope between the two trees (maybe about 4 feet apart from each other), which would force anyone walking by to give about 7 or 8 feet of berth to our camper. And, because we are not total meanies, we put a large towel over it so it would be very visible.

A couple of hours later, as we were sitting outside having dinner, two women walked over to us. Apparently, it was the mother and sister of this adult guy who had walked through earlier. The sister explained to us that he was "just going to the bathroom"- at which point I told her that he could still do that, just on the other side of the trees. The mother then explained to us that she had a bad knee and couldn't walk all the way around in order to get to the bathroom. My partner, who himself has really bad knees, said "I would have thought that it would be easier on your knee to walk on the smooth gravel road". They turned and left in a huff (and didn't come close to our camper again.)

jnc and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Had the same thing to happen several years back. He had it far enough away from his TT as not to bother him. Some how his genny got beer in the gas tank

5. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    We just spent the weekend in the Payette Nat'l forest, at a developed campground, no electric or water at the sites, but water was available at a central location, as well as a vault toilet. Of course, this is a paid site, but there are dispersed campsites all over the area. There was a family reunion that came up & camped literally across the road, with 14 kids in total. there were more people in this group than there were camped in the campground. They came in, & monopolized the toilet & water, with their kids running up & down the campground shrieking. The camp host did go out & put a stop to the kids running rampant thru the campground, but it still offended my sensibilities that these people would come in & essentially overrun what was obviously a paid site, when there was a very nice group area in the campground they could have rented, or many other unoccupied free camp areas with toilet facilities nearby.

6. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

So many of these tales strike me as bad campground planning/rules as much as rude people. Campgrounds should have marked paths to restroom facilities, not just be placed behind campsites and epect people to stay far away from other campers. Campsites should have restrictions on the number of day guests per paid site. Etc.

Not sticking up for the offenders... just saying you can't control the fact that people have bad manners, but you CAN make rules and provisions to reduce it, if you run a campground.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    @JHOP , I belive you are the first to air a grievance out on the interwebs [:D] lol. I'm thinking this thread will go untill 2056!

Orchid likes this.
  8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

My pet peeves are:

Litterbugs
    Loud people - groups are the worst, especially when they yell to each other between sites.

jumpoff and Sjm9911 like this.
  9. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Chopping wood nonstop... that's just my most recent lol

xvz12 likes this.
  10. Orchid

OMG, I forgot about this one. On our most recent trip we had a neighbor that pulled in around 3:00 am, made all kind of racket for a few hours getting set up. THEN, at 6:00 am he commenced to chopping wood for the entire morning. That evening, wood chopping for many more hours. Finally went over and told him cut the crap. At least he did.

jumpoff and neighbormike like this.
  11. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    NCT clearing saw b (good).jpg Gee folks, we bring an axle along, buy usually revert to a saw. Would that be OK?? :)
    (I really do, but we normally are boondocking)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
  12. hq308

hq308 Active Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Sydney Australia
    We recently camped at campgrounds that had 2 communal electric BBQ's side by side for campers to use, the normal etiquette is cook your food, clean up and take it back to your site to eat. Apparently the 4 people camping next to us missed that memo, they took over the both BBQ's and proceeded to spend an hour or more cooking and eating their breakfast and then when they were finished left both BBQ's in a disgraceful state.

13. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    We tent camped at Sleepy Creek, WV years ago. A co worker and I had been fishing all day, got to the campground at near dark.
    Set up, start fire, cook dinner and turn in after a beer or two.

One other group near us, not close, 75 ft or so away.
    As dark sets in their car stereos get cranked up, the party begins.
    LOUD music, shouting, fireworks, and so on.

Sometime around 3 am (I think) the truck with the loudest stereo ran dead.
    It got quiet and when they tried to start it they were rewarded with the dead battery click. Then we heard "oh crap" :D

We had to get moving about 7 am to wander back west to run another river trip, so we're up early.
    My co worker digs in his car and comes up with a handheld air horn.
    We packed up quietly, loaded up and idled over by their campground. I emptied the air horn towards them and we went on our way.

Many people in my area just figure a campground as a place to party, and camping to them means getting blackout drunk.
    My local campground (Horseshoe) used to have as it's host a retired Marine.
    Quiet time meant quiet time, and if he had to tell you more than once you were packing up and leaving.

I've seen him run people out of there, and I've seen the police "help" folks leave.
    I don't know how some people can have so little consideration for those around them.
    But their normal could be our outrageous. Or they just might be stupid.

xvz12 likes this.
  14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I do not usually have any problems, sometimes loud TV's and radios, but i ignore it or go and ask them if the would mind turning the noise up, they usually turn it down after a sarcastic request.

15. Fbird

Fbird Active Member

Sep 10, 2017
    Ferndale MI
    I remember a family camping outing, we went to bed about 1. Group of teenagers decided to have a loud party behind my uncle's tt in a congested campground. At 7 am just after quiet time is over he stood in between his and their site and played the bagpipes. They apologized and were quiet the rest of the weekend.

Dback2k4, Loves2Laugh, kudzu and 5 others like this.
  16. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Oct 10, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    My biggest and main pet peeve is drunks. Never a good thing when there is more than 2 together. Also unsupervised children running through people's campsite and parents not doing a dang thing about it. I usually camp at state parks because I have far fewer problems. I stay away from the playground and keep a good distance away from the bath house. My dogs also do well about keeping the few strays away. I do avoid camping during the holidays because that's when I see the rude pleople come out.

neighbormike likes this.
  17. Orchid

Boondocking has a whole different set of rules. If nobody can hear you, go for it. :wink:

I actually enjoy the bagpipes. HOWEVER, in their proper place and time. I have ran into early morning beach goers, more than once playing them. It's almost soul moving at the right time and place.

18. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I bet the Sound Of the Beer making it sputter way such a sweet sound[:D]

JHOP likes this.
  19. davido

davido Active Member

Jul 17, 2014
    • People who think it's ok to hang a bar of soap in an old nylon stocking from the community water spigot. (It's not ok)
    • People doing dishes at the community water spigot. (This is also not ok -- Fill your vessel and do dishes at your campsite. Leave the spigot clean, and the surrounding area free of mud.)
    • Thumping music at any hour (We should not have to hear booooo-b-b-booooom-thhhhunk).
    • Campers who never leave their campsite, and who are either loud all the time, or nosy.
    • Campers who are noisy -- shouting at kids, etc. (We have kids, we get irritated too, but we don't let the entire campsite know.)
    • Vehicles idling for a long time.
    • Generators past generator hours.

Orchid and kitphantom like this.
  20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

We're really lucky with our MN state parks. First of all alcohol isn't allowed. I don't bring any but I'm told if you don't flaunt it and don't abuse it they don't really care one way or the other... but it keeps the drunk parties out. In many cases, such as this past weekend, the campground is all but silent by 10:30pm and we're one of the last groups up, usually hanging out by the fire and/or playing a card game.

Orchid likes this.