Camping pet peeves

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by JHOP, Jun 11, 2018.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @penny - I think City of Rocks SP now has an observatory of some sort. We haven't been there in years, but I saw it on the website when I was looking around for options for Easter.
    The AZ state parks have some Star Party nights.

2. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Oh, they do! It is something I'd like to arrange to be there for. The observatory is only open on star party nights, usually weekends, and we've never been to one. City of Rocks is a wonderful campground. We go often, and always take our own scopes. It has become a very popular spot during cool weather camping, and sometimes you can't find a spot. They only have a few sites that can be reserved. Leasburg State park also has an observatory and star parties. that is very close to us and has surprisingly dark skies. Arizona also has great opportunities to camp and stargaze. Heavily wooded campgrounds are so wonderful in every way, except for a good view of the sky at night, so not all our camping trips are all about astronomy.

3. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    We're going to Chaco for Easter weekend, it looks like our site looks out on the open spaces. Even with a full moon, it should be good for star gazing. Last time we were there we had a site in the center of the loop - but it snowed and the wind was howling, so we weren't going out to look.

4. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    Ours has a small, but pretty bright, orange light next to the door. The switch is on the light, so when we go to the bathroom we just click the light on when heading out, and off when we come back in.
    Our favorite campground is pretty dark, and it's good to have some sort of reference to find your way back.

5. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    OHH! Chaco! It feels so different from the other ancient places...kind of creepy! Such an adventure! have a great time

6. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    @WVhillbilly - the orange light by the door on our Cobalt was almost too bright for a bathroom run after dark. We have this solar powered string of lights, which I put in a jar, that works great to mark the camper. Most of the time, I tuck it under the trailer, next to the steps, pulling it out if necessary to charge it during the day. If there's a critical obstacle, I'll set the lights on that instead. It's also been very handy when we've been away from the camper and not wanting to leave a light on.
    I do use a flashlight when out and about, aimed at the ground. I hate walking with a headlamp on, at least in camp, or walking near anyone with one, they tend to ruin my night sight quickly. (As a kid, I was taught to aim the flashlight on the gorund ahead of me, so that's habit now.)
    I've added a dowel since this pic was taken, taping the
    lights to it, so they don't all sink to the bottom of the bottle.

Attached Files:

kcsa75 and WVhillbilly like this.
  7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    Many headlamps have a red light option now.

8. kitphantom

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    Yes, but most people don't seem to use the red light option. I also found that I had to walk behind my friend even with the red setting on, the light was bright enough to dazzle since it hit me right at eye level.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

May 28, 2018
    California
    I agree about headlights as well as how to aim your lights. I never understood how people could walk with the flashlight pointed everywhere but the ground in front of them. The light is so you don't trip over a rock, etc., not so you can see the bear...

I got a couple small battery puck lights with a remote control. I added a magnet to the back of one and just attach it to the clipper's bumper when I'm parked. If I'm out and about and come back in the dark, I can just hit the remote and there's my light to show me the way. It's not very bright, but enough to tell me where the rig is. I use the flashlight to actually get to the RV.

Redbird234 and kitphantom like this.
  10. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2013
    Mass
    I don't have a telescope but I did test the imagers that repaired the Hubble telescope.

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I aim my headlight so it points down at the ground in front of me...

Tothetide and gladecreekwy like this.
  12. Jeep Guy

Jeep Guy Active Member

Mar 7, 2018
    We have been fortunate to have pretty respectful camping neighbors at our state parks in Louisiana. My only pet peeve is golf carts. Why must everyone bring golf carts to camp grounds. And they put bright lights all over them and got riding around the campground with music playing until late at night. It's like they are cruising the strip with their buddies.

13. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I'd give them one lap and then throw a spike strip down [:D]

I go camping for peace and quiet, not silly stuff like that.

neighbormike likes this.
  14. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Amen brother
    This is why we boondock....so we don't have to put up with the idiots

15. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Jul 18, 2013
    Thornville, OH
    Golf carts, golf carts. We have seen near some campgrounds we camped at that they rent golf carts.

16. WVhillbilly

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    The local permanent "campground" is lousy with golf carts.
    This isn't camping like we know it. This is campers that have been set up there for years, far too close together, on lots that cost too much money.
    For a while everyone rode around on ATVs, then they banned that. So now it's an endless parade of golf carts.

One of the dumbest things I've ever seen.
    It's quieter at my house, I have co workers who have "camps" there and have tried to get me to buy a place.
    No thanks. I have enough noise at work.

Redbird234 and neighbormike like this.
  17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    I understand why a campground sells out to Permanent Rentals "Perms" because of the steady flow of income. The perms all want to be along the river or lake, taking all the best sites. When campers have decks, fences, out buildings on the site, and flat tires, they've been there too long.

18. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I've only camped one place that even allowed golf carts. This was a KOA near Mt. Rushmore, and they had so many whizzing by us all day that it was like camping next to a freeway.

19. penny

penny Active Member

Nov 9, 2017
    perhaps a definition of "camping" would qualify some answers here. I don't consider an overnight in a KOA type "camp ground" to be camping. road trips are the only reason we would stay in such a place. Once or twice we have camped with our son and his family, who plan their family vacations at that kind of campsite, using it as a place to stay that's close to attractions or events. But that's not really a camping trip.

Camping, for us, is finding a place in national or state parks. Usually where there is a reasonable amount of space between other people's camps, or dispersed, where there are no other people at all. It involves a few days of self sufficient enjoyment of nature. Sometimes these campgrounds are more heavily used than others, but still the sites are not unbearably close to one another.

hq308 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  20. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Active Member

Jun 11, 2014
    Houghton MI
    No boondocking?? :smiley: