camping season may be done for me

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jayco1997, Sep 17, 2013.

1. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I went camping this past weekend in Hershey,PA in order to go to the RV show. Although it was a great trip, it got cold in the evening and at night the temp dropped down into the 40's. It wasn't a pleasant experience. I was warm in the sleeping bag while sleeping but once I jumped out of bed I felt like I was freezing. I did have a heater on my older model coleman mach AC unit that worked rather well until the temp hit the 60's and than the heater struggled to keep the pup warm. It seemed to blow cold air at that point although the coil was hot.
    I guess I'll have to wait until the next camping season to head out again since I am not a cold weather enthusiast.

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

popup gizmos help keep the heat in. this weekend is suppossed to be a few degrees warmer though. i dont mind the cold too much but i know what your saying dw usually has on 2 sets of pj,s , a sleeping bag and 3 blankets and still says it,s cold. we are still going out this weekend (Hopefully) i was told to take a extra tank of propane just in case! last time we went out in the 40,s the furnace ran out of propane i dont think it shut down at all that night. and when it does it dosent seem to take long to cool off real fast. i quess thats a advantage the dark side has on us to some degree but i still enjoy the open air of the pup so i will suffer out a few colder morning. fall is a great time to camp though, less crowded and if you can catch some fall foilage it,s well worth it.

3. dickinjo

dickinjo Member

An ole trick to making cool mornings more pleasent is to grab your clothes near bed and put in sleepin bag with u about 30min b4 u get up so they are warm in morning.

4. skysummit

skysummit Member

You had the heater on in the 60's???

5. candleems

candleems Member

PopUpGizmos are wonderful as well as either their bunk end liners or Reflectix cut to fit all the windows. Run a ceramic fan or two (plug one directly into Electric pole at site or you may blow your breakers). We camp in November and generally are comfortable.

6. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

There are good suggestions here and in this thread:
    http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?board=104.0

Heat retention measures are important as the weather cools. While we are comfortable keeping the furnace set in the mid-50s, I know tolerances to heat and cold vary a lot from person to person. My tolerance to cold had decreased in the last few years, so I feel very spoiled by having the furnace in the pup.

In addition to PUGs, throw rugs on the floor and an electric space heater (that's what we used in the previous pup, when we had electricity), since you have power, would be a great help. We have the PUGs bunk end liners, which we add when the lows are in the 30s; above that the daytime temps are usually such that we want to be able to unzip the windows in the bunk ends a bit. [The BELs fold into a package in one of our dinette storage spaces]. We also add an electric mattress pad when we have power and the lows are in the 40s or below.
    We've camped into the teens, though on those trips we had expected lows in the 20s or so.

7. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

haha yes and the heater is on at 70 too. I think its freezing, LOL but at the same time if it were 90, I would not be needing the AC either where most would be sweating. I don't think my blood is wired for the cold and for some reason it is always feels colder to me and the heat doesn't bother me at all. I think I might be living in the wrong neck of the woods.

8. bropaul

bropaul New Member

Oh come on, this is the best time of the year to camp! We also have the A/C with heater strip and it does only raise the temp about 20 degrees. (We've been having this discussion on the Midwest Halloween Rally thread.) We have a Mr. Heater Buddy that is very safe and we've used it for years when camping in the fall and spring. These trips for us are usually dry camping so a second propane heat source is mandatory. On our October trip to northern MI last year the temp dropped to the upper teens overnight... there was ice on the rivers' edge, but our pup was 68 inside! Granted, we did switch to our second 20# tank during the week... but the daytime temps were moderate in the upper 50s to low 60s. This spring we added PUGs to our pup so we are looking forward to seeing how well they improve the heat retention. I should add, I replaced the original thin curtains with insulated ones that I made.

I can't imagine not enjoying our beautiful fall colors! We have almost 3 weeks of camping planned for October and we're heading north tomorrow for a week. [:D]

Happy camping!
    Diane

9. ghri49

ghri49 Member

If you have power run a one of those small ceramic heaters, at about the same price as refilling a propane tank its well worth the investment and does a good job heating the camper.

When no power we run a Mr Buddy heater and that does a good job heating up the camper as well, very safe and made for use like this but we always leave a some zippers down a few inches to get crosswind circulation just in case.

Throw rug on the floor in the cooler months and if we have power the wife keeps an electric blanket in the camper to help keep her warm.

Interested in adding pugs or gizmos to the camper as well as like the idea of heavy duty insulated curtans for the fall. will have to make up a set of those.

Fall is deffinatly one of our favorite times of the year to camp so try some of these ideals and go enjoy yourself!

10. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

I really want to see the fall foliage from an area other than mine here at home so maybe I'll try the suggestions you have all made, but what is a pug? can someone post a pic so i can see what your talking about. I think I'll be able to venture out if I'm able to get around the pup without sitting inside the sleeping bag, lol

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

12. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

I have not camped in the cold yet. The latest I camped last year was Columbus Day weekend but it was beautiful. We were in a tent, no problems with a sleeping bag and extra blanket.
    This year we have 2 late trips planned: The Vermont Rally the end of this month, and Columbus Day weekend again down @ Cape Cod. I am planning ahead for cold however, and since we have hookups I will bring a small space heater and our electric blankets.
    I wouldn't miss camping this time of year! The fall air is so crisp and refreshing!

13. jayco1997

jayco1997 New Member

Kitphantom, thanks for the pic. I have seen those on many pop up's when I camped this summer at the beach. The sites were open with no trees as they where right on the beach so I guess they did keep the sun from heating up the pup. I'll need to look into getting those.

14. marines0811

marines0811 New Member

Our pup has a heater but only stays warm when it is on. I have Gizmos and I bought a space heater this spring and it keeps the pup warm and toasty.

15. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

Jayco1997 - we had home-made pugs and they were great summer and fall. I can only imagine that the 'real thing' are even better! Definitely a good investment!

16. Genie2010

Genie2010 Active Member

How did you make them Wendy?

17. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

We bought two of these blankets from Cabelas: http://www.cabelas.com/product/Sportsmans-Space-Blankets/713345.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsportmans%2Bblanket%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D26%26y%3D6&Ntt=sportmans+blanket&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Our Taos had two double sized bunkends and these blankets fit them perfectly, if you have large bunk ends, you made need to buy more blankets and duck tape them together. We used bungie cords hooked to the grommets and hooked to the camper to hold them on. Silver side up for both warm and cold weather.

18. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

One of the great things about camping (next to that 1st cup of coffee in the morning) is gettin' down to your skivvies and warming-up the bag when you get in! [8D] Getting out is not that much fun...but it is an adventure! [:O] A remote for the heater might be an option! [;)]

19. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

We just got back from camping the weekend in Alleghney National Forest. It wasnt too bad. Friday night was actually nice... a little chill but under the covers it was toasty! I am guessing it was in the low 40's. Saturday night was a bit colder! I am guessing high 30's. It wasnt as toasty but I wasnt shivering.. We boondocked so no electricity. If we camp again this year it will be with hook ups and heaters!

20. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Two words - BIG BUDDY - keeps our little 8ft box nice and toasty. Although, when we have hookups, we use a little electric heater w/fan to keep us warm - why waste our propane if we are paying for power :)