Camping Waffles??

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by neighbormike, May 13, 2018.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Curious to see if anyone has a good way to make waffles while camping... I know I could always cheat & use toaster waffles on my stovetop toaster but....

2. ezakoske

ezakoske Active Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Escondido, CA
  3. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Hmm, both of those items are intriguing!

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    I have two of the Coleman in ezakoske second link. They work vey well.

neighbormike likes this.
  5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I buy the pre made waffles from Piggly Wiggly, usually the blueberry ones, They do not cost much and there is no mess or fuss.

neighbormike likes this.
  6. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2017
    New Plymouth, ID
    We have one of those in ezakoske's first link, works fine on pups stovetop, on our Coleman stove, on our Blackstone griddle, or on a fire, but the handles are a bit short for the fire. Generally we use the Coleman stove, as I don't like to cook inside the pup. I't just the wife & me, so the single circular one works fine. If you're feeding a family, I would go for the double ones

neighbormike likes this.
  7. David Blackwell

David Blackwell New Member

May 10, 2017
    San Diego, CA
    I recently purchased the Rome Waffle Iron (6-3/4" diameter). I've used it twice. Both times on our gas range. I wanted to test the recipe below and learn how to make waffles. I also re-seasoned it per the Cast Iron Fanatic's method using Crisco. Over-all, it makes excellent waffles. However, the best part is the recipe Rome included with waffle iron which is really very good.

2 cups flour
    1-1/4 cup milk
    3/4 stick butter melted
    2 eggs
    2 tablespoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Mix dry ingredients together (flour, salt, sugar). Separate egg yolks from white and whisk into dry ingredients along with milk until batter has a uniform (not lumpy) consistency. Add melted butter to batter. Whisk egg whites until stiff and mix into batter.

Preheat waffle iron over medium heat. Spray oil or butter on griddle. Slowly pour batter onto one side of waffle iron. Use a wooden spatula if needed to get batter evenly distributed. Although there should be enough butter in the recipe to keep the waffles from sticking, you should apply a small amount of oil (canola or non-stick spray) to the waffle iron before making the first waffle. Cook about 3 minutes and then check for doneness.

Note - I started with too much oil both sides and I leaked quite a bit onto the stove. I was closing the lid too slowly. I reduced the oil on both sides and learned to close the lid faster.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    We have "Happy Camper Breakfast" first morning of the trip. A long time ago we received two mickey waffle makers and since we camp at fort wilderness a lot, just kept the tradition on all trips. https://www.amazon.com/Disney-DCM-9-Mickey-Waffle-Maker/dp/B00QHUT7MO

We like the krusteaz brand mix. We recreate the fruit waffle you can buy at liberty square at Magic Kingdom--waffle with nutella, blueberries, strawberries and whipped cream (we have can of whipped cream for the whole trip). Also throw a pack of thick bacon on the griddle. Yum and kids look forward to it!

9. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    We also leave the waffle irons in the camper so it's always special.

10. neighbormike

Oct 6, 2012
    WI
    Ha! Growing up, my brother & I referred to it as "krusty-azz"... I do agree they make very good products and now I look for it by name.

BelchFire and tzmartin like this.