Can’t remove Hub - bearing repacking

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by phobodo, May 22, 2018.

1. phobodo

phobodo New Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Colorado
    New to the portal, just purchased a 96 Coleman Sedona PUP. First time owner. Did a lot of online research and wanted to repack my bearings, Hub 1 went swimmingly no issue. went to pull hub 2, outer bearing popped right out. Unfortunately I cannot get the hub off. Based on a little research (limited info on this I could find related to a Pup) I’m assuming this is a inner bearing problem and it’s welded itself to the spindle? Any tips on removal? I ended up just packing the outer for now. Hoping this doesn’t have to go to a shop, but afraid I won’t have the tools/know how to complete the task.

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    I'd bring it to a shop to remove the inner bearing. Don't think you want to take the chance of damaging the spindle. I had the same thing happen to an old Buick of mine. The inner bearing went and got seized to the spindle and brought it to a shop to have it removed. It took them a little while with all the right tools! If you know a local mechanic ask him/her if they can do it and give them the new bearings and grease seal to install.

3. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    Before you think the worst make sure the brakes are not holding it on.

Yak likes this.
  4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Sep 11, 2008
    Morris County, NJ
    Crap, I did not even think of that...
    Tombiasi makes a very good point!!

5. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    With the outer bearing removed are you able to wobble it? It could be the brakes as previously mentioned. It could also be the grease seal holding it jammed with old hardened grease. I would recommend trying some more elbow grease before taking it to a shop. I am sure there are plenty of vids on hub removal with live spindle axles. Pullers are cheap at harbor freight. Fight it a bit before taking it to a mechanic.

jnc and Orchid like this.
  6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    Back off on the brake adjustment a little and it will come off.

Yak likes this.
  7. phobodo

phobodo New Member

Apr 23, 2018
    Colorado
    Thanks All! Unfortunately no brakes on this pup and I am able to wobble the hub and move it front to back a bit (about 1-4”-1/2” of play along the spindle, I just put a wooden dowel into it and tapped on the inner bearing and no movement.

8. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Tap on the backside of the hub....hard. The hub will come off and leave the bearing on the spindle. Then you can work the inner cone off.

9. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Get a BIGGER Hammer!!

kcsa75 and phobodo like this.
  10. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

Oh Ya and Make Sure You have the Pup on a Few Jack Stands!

phobodo likes this.
  11. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2008
    I had a inner stuck race on the spindle. I used an air impact hammer from behind.

jnc likes this.
  12. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

May 21, 2015
    You were lucky to get it home. I'm betting it's rusted in place because the hub still rotates. Usually "welding" occurs when the bearing locks up and the race starts rotating on the spindle. Good thing you started this when you did.

If I were to take it in to be fixed I'd take it to a place that does trailer repair, not to an RV dealer.

If you want to try the "shadetree" option it's time to get out the big pry bar. First soak it thoroughly with PB Blaster, or some other brand of penetrating oil, not WD40. After it's had time to soak a little bit start using the bar, alternating sides, one pry on each side until it moves a little, then soak it again. Then pry again. Try to keep it moving as straight down the spindle as you can. If it gets too wonky it will lock up. Don't worry about the bearing because you're going back with a new one anyway. Eventually it will come off.

When you get it off clean the rust off of the spindle with Plumbers Abrasive Tape, rotating it around the spindle to keep keep it rounded and remove any burrs. Try to slip the new bearing on before packing it and if it doesn't go on smoothly give the spindle another hit with the abrasive. Make sure you get a good coating of grease on the spindle, under the bearing, when you go back on.

Whichever way you decide to go, good luck to you.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    kcsa75 likes this.
  13. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Northwestern New Jersey
    OK no brakes, then my suggestion does not apply. More force. If you damage the spindle a shop would also.

kcsa75 likes this.
  14. CampStewart

CampStewart Member

Nov 3, 2017
    I would try to get a lever behind and pry it off but I wouldn't put too much work into that project. I would use something like a 2x4 about 3ft long. If it doesn't pry off easily I would go to the auto parts store and get a 3 jaw puller. I think all the chains have them available as loaners, you pay a deposit and get it back upon return. If the race is stuck to the spindle once the hub is off you can use the puller to get the race off.

15. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Like I always say: Don't force it.. get a bigger hammer

jnc likes this.
  16. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    I usually leave the wheel attached to the hub, that way I can used the weight of the tire to act as a slide hammer. Also, if you put the nut back on (without the washer) it will pop the grease seal off of the hub.

17. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Phobodo, were you ever able to get the back bearing off? I was wondering what shape the spindle was in after clean up. If the new bearing inner race rocks on the spindle in that area, the spindle needs to be replaced. A back seal will not last long with a bearing that has a lot of play