Can I run my AC off of an extension chord adapter to a house?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by rob2218, Apr 14, 2014.

1. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

So...isn't the CG power the same as running the adaptor for the 30amp 3-pronged connector into a wall outlet?
    Reason I'm asking is because I've read somewhere that you can "not" run the AC off an outlet from a home?

We are planning on staying at various friends and families homes over our trip duration.
    this weekend and other weekends I've connected my PUP to our house's electrical wall outlet with the adaptor it came with I turned on the PUP's a/c and it started up?.....so am I missing something here?
    I am or am I not able to run the AC on the PUP from a house standard wall outlet?

I' hope that I am cause that's how we are planning on traveling for roughly 10 days thru America this summer.

2. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

I have done it safely for the last 20 years without damage to the AC unit. Make certain you have the right adapter and it is best if the circuit is at least 20 amps, but again I have used 15 amp circuits in campgrounds where 30 amps aren't available and also with a standard 15 amp house socket in my garage for hours at a time with no adverse effect. [2C]

3. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

We do it all the time in Camp Driveway

4. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Im not totally on the up and up in electrical, but when i tried to run the ac with my outlet at home, it flipped the breaker in the house.

5. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

that's what I thought....but a bunch of folks on this particular forum say you "can't" run the AC on the PUP off a house power.....which sounds a bit whacked to me......cause...well...when doing the camp driveway or staying at someone's house and running the extension chord out to the PUP.....I've done it from the garage outlet a few times and it hasn't tripped any breakers in the houses main panel.....

6. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

It might depend on the size of the AC unit. Ours is pretty small so it draws less current.

7. EV2

EV2 Member

It does, of course, depend on the size of the A/C unit. Many of the Popup A/C operate right at the 15 amp limit of the home breaker. As was mentioned, you're much better off on a 20 amp breaker. In addition, keep your extension cord as short as possible and at least 12 ga wire. Otherwise, you will cause a low voltage condition that can overheat a cord and possibly cause permanent damage to your equipment.

As the person discovered that actually ignited the covering on a small gauge extension cord, just because it starts, does not mean it is adequate.

8. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

huh...so you go to Home Depot and ask for a 12ga wire extension chord?

9. EV2

EV2 Member

Sure, and do not get it any longer than necessary as extended lengths cause a voltage drop.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Don't forget many household outlets ARE protected by a 20A breaker, disconnect or turn off anything else on the circuit.

Data sheet for a typical 13,500 BTU ac, Running Watts (cooling) A.R.I. Standard Condition
    (80 F. DB 67 F. WB Indoor, 95 F. DB Outdoor) 1200 watts

Running Watts (cooling) Desert Condition (100 F. DB 72 F. WB Indoor, 120F. DB Outdoor) 1450 watts

The breaker is usually slow enough to account for the start up inrush current.

11. Ridge-Runner

Ridge-Runner New Member

It's it watts divided by volts equals amps?
    1200/120= 10 amps
    1450/120=12.08

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '02 Chevy Suburban
    '99 Coleman Westlake

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We do it all the time. It will need to be on a 20 amp breaker and don't run much more on the breaker. If I run a vacuum cleaner at the same time it trips the breaker.

13. jrclocks

jrclocks Member

You're attempting something that could be close to the limits of the electrical systems capabilities.

So, it depends on...

The size of your AC unit
    The weather outside
    Electrical quality in the area
    The breaker/fuse size of the branch circuit
    The wire size of the branch circuit
    The wire material (Cu or Al)
    The physical length of the branch circuit
    The length of the extension cord
    The wire gauge of the extension cord
    The parasitic resistance of the circuit
    Any additional electrical load that is (or could be) connected to that branch circuit during the duration of your stay, either in the house or in your camper

When an "action" may be so close the limits of an electrical system's capability that it depends on this many things, I suggest that you avoid this action. Especially, since you'll be variegating at least some of these variables by moving from house to house during your trip.

Find a nearby CG.

JR

14. Rusty

Rusty Don't worry, everything has a way of working out.

You should make sure you plug your AC into a 20 amp recepticle like the one pictured here. Yes, you should use the shortest possible 12ga. cord. I would use a 10ga. just to compensate for voltage drop over distance.

[​IMG]

15. n2cruzn

n2cruzn New Member

i agree with most....if the camper is wired for 30 amps it will draw 30 with everything on depending upon conditions, yes most house circuits maybe 20 some are 15. there is alot of grey here. then there is the converter drawing from the battery to keep in mind. i am sure someone here clear that up

good luck

16. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

You bring up a good point. But in many states the code does not require builders to use 20 amp plugs on a 20 Amp circuit. I have lived in MI, DE, NY, IN and OH and none of these states when my houses were built required the use of 20 amp plugs. So none of my houses had those plugs on a 20 amp circuit.

17. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Not quite true, I know my 2 pups will not use anything close to 30 amps. The old one might get close to 20 now that we added an ac. 30 amps cable are the industry standard even if your camper does not have ac or a refrigerator. Furnace, your water pump and lights in a pup will not be close to 10 amps....

However, going back to the op, if your A/C is not hardwire to your inverter or breaker box I would use a separate drop cord (12 ga or less) just for the ac if at all possible. Those 30 amp to 15 amp adapters tend to warm up a bit with heavy loads. If you are home go ahead and try it. run it all from the 30 amp cable hook to the 15 or 20 amp house connector and touch your adapter after the ac been running. I think a separate drop cord is a must. I have 2 50 feet 12ga in my pup just in case. I had used it on the past when we had the 2 electric heaters. The pup will run one in 750 but you can see the light change when it kicked in...

Good luck!

18. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

The only way to know for sure is to try it and see if it will trip your breaker. I can run mine at home using the adapter. BUT, make sure nothing else is running on that circuit. Don't use hairdryers or microwaves, etc..

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3!

19. Ryanincc

Ryanincc Truth is poetry. Most Americans do not like poetry

Im not sure how most houses are, Rob, but I was just thinking if you stick to the garage circuits at your friends' houses, it might work. My garage is will work for my AC but I have to run a long extension cord to do it when set up, so I don't. I guess you can just forewarn your buddies so they know where their breaker boxes are [LOL]

20. rob2218

rob2218 New Member

I've always been running the shore power to Camp Driveway to my garage...so I'll try it this weekend. I do run a long extension cord...so I'll try it this weekend again on mine. though....it's suppose to be cold....again........this weekend...but maybe I can run the heater? though...I wont' be runnin' the heater during June I'm sure.....unless it gets cold in the desert...at which point..I may need to run it...but I'd like to test the AC on full from the garage outlet see what that does....