Can Mr. Buddy Portable be trusted above 8000 ft.?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by Merlin14, Feb 28, 2019.

1. Merlin14

Merlin14 Member

Asking this in a couple places:
    We will be camping above 9000 ft this summer. Heating with Mr.Buddy Portable.

Owner's Manual says:
    Caution: When operating the heater at altitudes over 7,000 FT above sea level the heater may shut off.

Have any of you had personal experience and what was it? Did heater work or shut off?

TIA

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

It probably has a o2 sensor on it , so less oxygen up higher. It senses the change and shuts off. I think wheather or not it shuts off depends on the make up air and oxygen content of the room. If it says it will not work, i would belive them.

3. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

The reason for this is the oxygen sensor safety shutoff. Not advisable to try to override.

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

NO! I would not if the manufacturer indicates in there spec not to use above a certain elevation. I think my Mr Heater has a 7,000 elevation limit, I would give it a 500 to 1,00 margin of error and not use it above 6,000 ft.

Will it produce heat, Yes. But it will not burn as clean because of the lower oxygen level, and it will produce more poisonous gases than below the elevation specified. I'm sure the manufacture would love to have higher elevations listed in its specs for increase sales. But their engineers know it's not safe above certin elevations.

BillyMc likes this.