Can my vehicle pull my HW PUP?

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Livntravelgirl, Apr 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Livntravelgirl

Livntravelgirl New Member

I have tried figuring this out by reading posts about tow weight questions, but I am still not confident if my 2010 Acura MDX can pull our new (used) 2012 Flagstaff HW.

Uhaul installed our hitch. It says Max weight: 4,000 lbs., Max distribution weight: 5,000 lbs.

The Flagstaff specs are:
    Dry Weight 2,959 lbs.
    Payload Capacity 862 lbs.
    GVWR 3,859 lbs.
    Hitch Weight 359 lbs.

I am hoping this will work, but is this cutting it close? Thank you to anyone who can share their wisdom!

2. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

As far as I can tell, your vehicle has a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs so it would seem that as long as you stay within the weight limitations of your camper you should technically be able to tow safely. Just keep in mind that you need to combine the trailer's weight fully loaded (GVWR) AND the weight of all the gear in your vehicle (including passengers) to determine if you are within the 5,000 lb rating of your Acura.

The weight adds up quickly with a heavy trailer, full load of camping gear, and a few campers.

If I missed anything, maybe someone else can correct me.

3. joet

joet Well-Known Member

With the 3859 lbs. you are rite at the 4000lb limit for the hitch. you are cutting it close. You will definitely know you have a load behind you

Livntravelgirl likes this.
  4. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

If you are getting those numbers from the hitch that U-Haul installed they may have little to do with your actual tow capacity. Those numbers are for the hitch and not the tow vehicle. You would hope that U-Haul would only install a hitch that covered the capacity of the vehicle, but that is not always the case. I know from personal experience that they sometimes just ask the buyer what size hitch they want.

I suggest going to someplace like http://towcalculator.com/ and run the actual numbers for your vehicle.

5. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

You should be good. Towing starts on page 483 of your owners manual

http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/TX1010/TX1010OM.PDF

1C00DEDC-AE76-42EE-8AC8-5167D0EE2832.png

The tongue weight vs payload is probably going to be the most restrictive thing. You’re probably looking at 450-500 lbs of tongue weight or more with your pup. Check the payload on your MDX on the sticker in the drivers door. The tongue weight, any passengers, and any cargo in/on the car count against that number.

6. mattlreese

mattlreese Active Member

7. Livntravelgirl

Livntravelgirl New Member

Thank you so much! I don’t know I didn’t think to look at my actual manual.

8. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Close? My bet is won't be happy towing this large & heavy a trailer with your MDX which is a small vehicle with a short wheelbase when compared to a 1/2 ton truck. With the trailer having so little payload capacity chances are pretty good the trailer's GVW loaded & ready to camp will be awfully close to it's GVWR, even over if you're not careful. Keep in mind that stated hitch weight is as the trailer sat at the factory, totally unloaded. Assuming it's GVW = it's GVWR the trailer's gross tongue weight at even just 13% will be 500 lbs and surely the limit of any WC (weight carrying) receiver hitch that may be on the vehicle. With just one or two people in the vehicle and nothing else I suppose it's doable but with passengers on-board as well you'll surely exceed the vehicle payload capacity. I personally wouldn't do it.

durhamcamper and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  9. GreyFox

Which will make the combination look pretty by leveling it out but won't do a darned thing to move weight back to the tow vehicle's front steer axle where it belongs. Only a properly sized and adjusted weight distribution system will do that but I'd bet that Honda warns against using WD with an MDX just as it does with other vehicles it manufactures because these aren't body on frame vehicles as are trucks.

10. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

IMO you are at max. Can you tow it? Absolutely. Can you stop it safely in an emergency running 55mph. Probably not . Even with the camper brakes +/- 4k lbs will push the MDX forward. If you do continue with your set up I would stay on flat land. Good luck.

durhamcamper and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  11. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We've towed trailers at the tow vehicles max and will not do that again. Kind of takes much of the fun out of your camping trip. Hills or no hills, we recommend staying away from your max. Cars, wildlife and kids will still bolt across the road in front of you weather you have hills or not..

Fixitup likes this.
  12. stovebolt6

stovebolt6 New Member

I realize the thread is a month old but curious what the OP decided. One thing a lot of people misunderstand is that a vehicle’s tow capacity is more about what it stop than what it can pull.

With the trailer and vehicle loaded, you’re definitely pushing it, because you also have to account for the tow vehicle’s GVWR. I would get a lighter trailer or buy a truck.

13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

If you pack lightly you should be within weight limits, but I don't want to be in front of you in an emergency situation. I would suggest a lighter camper or a full size pickup, SUV, or van.

14. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Not to sound like a jerk but why buy a camper if you’re not sure your vehicle can even tow it?

Rik Peery likes this.
  15. GreyFox

Take a stroll through any campground and you'll see countless examples of vehicles having towed a trailer they had no business towing. Happens all the time, so often one can't help but laugh, 'cept towing well beyond your vehicle's actual towing limits isn't funny at all. [XX(]