Can you heat / cool a pop-up effectively?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by cv7713, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Yar

Yar Garland, TX

Our camper uses the heat strips and kept us toasty in Illinois last year with temps in the lower 30's. We didn't have the gizmos then but have them now. I'm looking forward to trying those out this weekend and see if the heater keeps us even warmer.

2. Sub1ime14

Sub1ime14 Member

All great advice so far, but I noticed 2 good things that weren't mentioned yet:

1. If you can't afford (or are stubborn like me) solar covers, a blanket, some bungee cords, and a tarp will do the job (tarp on top of blanket, of course... try not to use an extraordinarily heavy blanket, so you aren't weighing down your canvas).

2. Electric blankets! A single-element electric blanket uses roughly 200 watts, versus a space heater that uses 1000-1500 watts. Even with temps in the 40s, a well-tucked electric blanket will keep you nice and toasty.

Now, if you want your whole camper warm, go with a Mr. Buddy heater. They work miracles with a very reasonably small amount of propane! Just be sure to get an adapter hose to run it directly from the tank. Those little 1-lb tanks won't last you the whole night.

3. cv7713

cv7713 I'd rather be Camping

Those who have the Buddy, is it the regular size Buddy? (or the Little Buddy or Big Buddy?)

4. barbjmj

barbjmj Member

Good question. I tried searching Mr. Buddy and only come up with "Mr. Heater Portable Buddy Heater
    $79.99 - Cabela's. An easy-start button sets at your choice of a 4,000- or 9,000-BTU output." Is this what everyone is posting about?

5. rmance

rmance Member

The A/C on my pup cranks! But, you have to be plugged into AC which is usually not the way I like to camp. But yes, it will keep you nice & cool. The coldest I have camped in is -6 degrees. The furnace ran all night long and kept the pup at a very comfortable temp ... T-shirt'able. And I can tell you, it will go through most of the battery and the propane will last you two nights. I do carry a couple of tanks and a spare battery. If you're plugged into AC you're set ... electric heater and electric blankets.

I was in Zion one time with the temp at 17 degrees and the propane hose broke. Couldn't find a hose but did buy an electric heater at Walmart ... BWA HA HA ... it was like trying to cook a turkey with a flip'n match!

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill PUP-2002 Flagstaff 725D TV- 2004 Dodge Ram 1500

We have found that no matter what time of year, having mattress heaters is a good idea. I used the propane heater a couple of times but had it set about 50 so it didn't come on but a couple of times. We use a small ceramic heater in the breezeway during the winter to pull the chill out of the air before coming in the house. I will bring it with us. We haven't camped during the school year so generally the days are warm and night cool when we start camping in the late spring and same in late summer early fall. Because DW and I have sleep apnea we need to have sights with electricity (we do have a marine battery for emergencies) and water. Sometime, I want to try boon docking but it may be hard with DW.

7. Sub1ime14

Sub1ime14 Member

In my case, it's the Little Buddy. Works wonders!

8. bud121156

bud121156 Western North Carolina

From the tests I have done in the shop and here in the house during power outages, I cant imagine needing to run the Big Buddy on the 18,000BTU setting in a pup!

9. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

It's what I have, the regular Mr.Buddy ~ Click Here

10. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I have the two bottle Big Buddy. When I have had to use it in the camper (the camper's battery was dead and no other power source was available), I only had it on low and I was fine. It's better to had the extra BTUs if needed. I like to think that most of my camping gear can be used at home as well for emergencies, so that's why I have the extra BTUs.

11. Rustyk

Rustyk New Member

We have a big buddy and have been out in some temps that we were glad we had the whole 18,000 btu's. As for the summer we use an old fashion hassock fan. It really does a great job of keeping the air circulated and moving. We camp at OC. MD. in August every year and have never had any problem with the pup being too hot..

12. Okiejayco

Okiejayco New Member

Yes you can keep a pop-up comfortable. We have a '93 Jayco Cardinal, which is about 16 feet long without the bunks. I put the reflectix mod in the ends only, Cabelas survival blankets on the tops of the bunks, and carpet runner on the floor. We just camped when it was 20 deg out. We kept it in 65-72 deg range easily with 2 elec. heaters, neither cranked all the way up. Set the propane furnace at 62, it never came on. I am positve in the summer, she would stay cool, we have camped in the 85-90 deg range and kept cool, without the above mods. If anything make some reflectix for the windows in the main body (though you look a little like an ufo if you do this) Park under trees, I think you would be fine, without the main body reflectix. We spent less than $80 for the mods.

13. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I know there are people who sleep with a WAVE or Mr. Buddy running but I wouldn't. All Mr. Buddy heaters have a yellow label on the box that says, "Do not operate heater while sleeping."

14. Sub1ime14

Sub1ime14 Member

I always, always, ALWAYS have the Carbon Monoxide detector on, and I check it often to be sure the levels don't get above a very minimal number (10 or 20). Usually, it's right around 0 to 5. I would never recommend letting a Buddy Heater run without having a CO detector in your camper (a loud one, so it'll wake you). Also, be sure it's stable and won't be knocked over. In addition, crack two opposite window corners to allow for a bit of fresh air circulation. PUPs are pretty drafty as-is, but this is a good safety precaution. I've never had even a minor problem with all of these things in place.

15. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

I do not have A/C but have carried electric fans and it seems to move the air in the summer( I like naps after lunch)I have a ceramic heater with a thermostat that I use in the winter. At night I crawled in my sleeping bag and was toasty all night. I really prefer to camp in the spring summer and fall months

16. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

It isn't so much generating heat or cold in a PU its retaining. All of the tricks mentioned in this thread are important if you want to have any chance to maintain the temperature.

17. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

We use heat strip first, furnace second for reasons already stated. The heat strip seems to hold about a 15 degree differential unless it is extremely windy or people (kids) are going in and out constantly. We camp down into the low 40's at night with just the heat strip.

18. TnDrew

TnDrew New Member

Are the heat strips as effective as an electric ceramic heater?

19. bpolwort

bpolwort Member

I have no problem keeping the PUP as cool as I want at night with the A/C, it will freese you out if you want it too. During the day it will only keep in about 80, while in the sun without Gizmos. As to the winter, I bought my PUP without a heater. I run 2 electric quarts heaters and they will keep it pretty warm. I have camped in temps down to 8 degrees F, and it would be cool in the camper, but not cold. The thing you have to realize is that camping in a PUP is a blend between truly roughing it and living with the comforts of home. If you love to camp, you will love a PUP.

20. Wizfisher

Wizfisher New Member

While camping at a State Park the last couple nights in Central Florida the temps at night got down into the mid 30's. The first night I did not run the furnace and woke up freezing. The second night I ran the furnace and kept the pup at 65 degrees with no problems. It didn't run too much either.
    I don't have reflectix, or any of the other heat retaining mods.