Canopy lists to starboard by ~2"

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by vdotmatrix, Jun 14, 2013.

1. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    So after my floor restoration, wall rebuilding sleepless night project is finally done I was able to get eveything to close and seal and behave with a minor annoyance.

With the pup leveled and deployed, the canopy "shifts" to the right (doorside) by about 2" if that much , but just enough to slightly impeded the action on the door. I think I can strain the GREEN GAUGE cable to squeeze out a little more clearance but I hear or feel other thins "creak" in the process.

Could I add a few washers to the screw for just a little more clearance or is the winch/lifter system precisely dialed in to the exact length of the GREEN GAUGE cable?

[​IMG]

It may be hard to see here and harder to demonstrate in the next image as well...

[​IMG]

2. bondebond

bondebond New Member

Aug 14, 2008
    First up, I would measure the deployed height from the top of the hard walls to the bottom of the roof walls at all four lifter posts. You may have a cable length mismatch.

3. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    OKAY!!

When I was working on the wall part of the project at some point I discovered what happens when you raise the lifter bar tube above the floor a terminal distance: The snake comes out and that side collapses. Scared the SH*T out of me and I was by myself....so that happened twice, 2nd time with my wife who knew no better.... so I don't know maybe it got tweaked a little. this is the only thing keeping me from saying the repairs i made were utterly successful!

4. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Left front 47 inches
    Left rear 46 and three eights
    Right rear 46 5/8
    Right front 47 1/8

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

Aug 23, 2009
    Re: Canopy lists to starboard by ~2"

You need to adjust the cables. They should all be the same. You have 3/4" difference across corners.

Think Outside ! ...No Box Required

6. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I SEARCH THIS FORUM and found that the pulleys are adjusted in the read foing forward raises the front going backwards raises the back. this is it in a nutshell and I will have to crawl under it to see what thia ll involves.......

7. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    QUESTION: is the amount the pulley is moved forward or backward directly proportional to the amount of adjustment seen in the canopy?

8. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    SOLVED: I broke down and called Goshen Stamping, the manufacturer in Goshen, IN. I have the 1473 series lift system. Adjusting the pulley translates into a doubled result on the roof. The pulley only affects the REAR roof. SO....adjust the pulley by ONE INCH translates into a TWO inch adjustment (up or down-whatever adjustment you make) on the roof.

9. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Well 3-4 years later the issue still exists...i am tempted to just drive it to mananss and have restless wheels just fix it for me.

10. kingbain

kingbain Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Are you me ? I feel like your me!

When I have the canopy out the roof moves over an inch to the passengers side, makes it harder setting up the door

To resolve the issue I just put the canopy feet on the ground instead of the side of the trailer

11. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    Oh oh what do you mean by canopy feet? Please please explain this. I am ready to drop this thing off at a repair facility because i dont want to deal with it...you have a simple fix?

12. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Jan 28, 2015
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Two different things we are talking about reading the rest of your post.
    You call the roof the canopy and he is calling the roll out awning the canopy.

Two inches seems a lot but if you have been using this for 3 years like it is, it can't be too much of a problem. If it is not stopping you from using your camper, I would live with it?
    It is possible the posts are bent, due to a high wind load at some point in the past. But you should be able spot that looking at the posts from the front or back?
    Mine also leans out to the door side, but but not that much. The door all latches in and works properly so I am not concerned.

13. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I hate typing on an ipad. I had a response that disappeared because i accidentally touched the screen and it went to an ad and deleted it...so pissed...

anyway, i will start over. Thank you for helping us out here.

I didnt have a diagram to refer to which i should being referring to to get everyone on the same page.

The part that pops up, the roof canopy.

Anyway, the whole thing leans just enough, i mean maybe an inch or two, to impinge or bind the door a little. It is only a matter of time until someone forces something going in and out of the camper and then something really breaks. I think i have to really baby these older campers.

I also though of experimenting with the height that i raise the canopy. Perhaps fractions of an inch at the optimum height will cause the canopy to list or become uneven beyond the designed stops?

I really appreciate responses.....if the posts were bent, i think it would bind and be visibly obvious....

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017 at 8:28 AM
  14. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
    does tightening up the Shepard poles help any?

15. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    sheppard poles?

16. rabird

rabird Howdy!

Mar 3, 2006
    TX
  17. thethird152

thethird152 Member

Feb 1, 2015
    Durham, NC
    Is it possible that you're not quite level side to side?

18. vdotmatrix

vdotmatrix Member

Feb 11, 2013
    I have a leveler....you guys are opening up all the obvious variables that i will need to gather empirical data on....thanks