Canvas cleaner

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Horby, Jun 25, 2018.

1. Horby

Horby Member

Best canvas cleaner that isn't harsh on the material?

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just used dawn with a splash of bleach.

stacey short likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Don't for get to reseal it!

4. lkc

lkc Active Member

I would never use bleach on my canvas--JMHO. You should look in your owners manual or try to find the manual here on this site. Another really good resource for all things popup cleaning is popupprincess.com---she has tested the cleaners on the market.

stacey short and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Lol, if you look up manufacturing instructions on cleaning a little bleach is recommended for sumbrella and canvas for some stuff. Just an FYI. Its also cheaper then traditional cleaners and works just as well.

stacey short likes this.
  6. lkc

lkc Active Member

LoL- my manual says no harsh cleaners

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

Woolite.

Natureangel and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. Sjm9911

9. Horby

Horby Member

This is straight from my manual about cleaning the tent material. It says oxy clean. Is canvas and vinyl the same when they are referring to the tent 20180630_103917.jpg 20180630_103917.jpg

10. Sjm9911

Canvas, vinyl, and sunbrella are all different products.

11. Horby

Horby Member

Do you agree that I should use oxy clean based on my manual? I'm just wanting a second opinion. Thank you

12. Sjm9911

Oxy clean is probubly good to use, what is your covering made of? Mine is sumbrella with a vinyl top. Just teast it on a smaller area first. Mine was dirty so I didn't bother. I needed to get the mildew off, that's why I chose the bleach.

13. Horby

Horby Member

Vinyl

14. Hjoybella

Hjoybella New Member

I have ahead the same question regarding the best cleaner for my canvas. Just purchased a Rockwood Freedom ‘12. When we viewed the camper it was 90+ degrees and the previous owners had rolled down all the window coverings, being so hot so we didn’t think to zip them up. Most of the window covering are vinyl-backed or the clear vinyl window coverings. The sides of the bunks are canvas however. After getting the camper home, we discovered mildew spots and significant discoloration on the canvas bunk ends. My owners manual also says to use Oxyclean or Resolve. Tried both but it has done next to nothing for the staining. Would Woolite work better? I also saw the bleach solution idea on popupprincess.com but am hesistant as my manual specifically mentions not using bleach. There are also small spots on the inside mesh fabric ceiling of the bunk ends which I haven’t been able to remove either, even using an old toothbrush.

15. Hjoybella

Hjoybella New Member

Here is a pic of the discoloration.

Attached Files:

16. JasonKrieg

JasonKrieg New Member

We just bought a 2014 rockwood freedom that has some staining and needs some cleaning on the canvas. Did you find something that worked for you?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  17. Horby

Horby Member

No but I only tried woolite. I'm still trying to get the dealer to replace the canvas as per my post demo checklist. They keep beating around the bush

18. Hjoybella

Hjoybella New Member

I ended up using oxyclean 2-3 times. I let it sit for a little while before I rinsed it and let dry, then repeated. There is still some discoloration, but it is much less than in my photo.

19. scubacamper

scubacamper Well-Known Member

I've been watching this intently as our "Trip from Hades" Labor Day Wknd had me with my roof stuck UP while it poured rain in Stuart, FL. I haven't been able to take the time to open it up until today because of the winch issues so now I have one main spot on the vinyl and one minor spot that have mildew and I was interested in what everyone is using to clean it. I also noticed, before this trip a light brown stain on the inside near the window like you might find from ants or some other insect that I can't seem to clean with just soap and water. I've looked at other sites and they all are either using a weak bleach combination or wondering themselves. I'd like to hear from others on this one.

20. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

There are a multitude of Mold and Mildew Stain Remover products on the marker. I'm not going to endorse any of them but simply suggest that you find one and dilute a portion and try it on a very small area to test. I will say that when you are finished and the canvas has dried you will need to waterproof. I used 303 Marine/Recreational Fabric Guard and have been very happy. It has excellent water repelling properties and does not make the canvas hard.