Canvas pop up or hard side pop up?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by mncricket, Mar 27, 2012.

1. mncricket

mncricket New Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hopefully this is in the right area....we just got a canvas pop-up....then I came across a hard sided popup - I didn't know those even existed....the canvas one we got has almost every option and is a year newer (but was also used more). The hard sided one is pretty basic and only used a couple times a year...but I'm still intrigued...are there any huge pluses to the hard sided ones?

2. jeicher

jeicher Member

Sep 17, 2011
    I have a hard side Aliner. Most soft side pups have much more interior room and is considered a family camping trailer. The Aliner is much more of a travel trailer for usually not more than two people. Setup time on the Aliner is about a minute and no wet fabric to fold up when leaving. We rarely stay more than two days in one spot. Since I'm a traveler and not a camper, the quick setup and fold down really works well for me.

3. highside pup

highside pup Active Member

Feb 26, 2012
    A liner or actual regular hardside pop up like a Palamino or Apache ?
    Advantages to both and disadvantages. Palimino hardside was heavy and work putting up but also nice when up, Apache was great in their day .

4. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Jul 9, 2010
    I have a hardsided Apache. If you're asking about "us", ask away. I'll answer with what I know.

5. mncricket

mncricket New Member

Mar 23, 2012
    The one I found and was referencing was a Palomino...I didn't know Apache made one! The A-liner isn't nearly big enough....I'd go crazy in that with two kids (if we could even all fit!)

6. bruceac1

bruceac1 New Member

Mar 19, 2011
    I own an '87 Palomino hardside and enjoy it. It is a bit hard to put up, haven't tried without at least two others, but prefer four, one on each corner. It handles high winds fairly well, but it does wiggle a bit in winds above 40-50 mph. Last year while the pup was in the backyard, an 80mph gust picked it up by the tongue bunk end shifted it about three feet and dropped about eighteen inches. The pup held up very well, with no damage.

Gotta go, it is bedtime got to get up at oh four hundred.

7. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    We looked briefly at the Palomino hard sided campers. I really like the idea. But my wife walked in and had to get back out immediately, she felt claustrophobic. I think that she's over sensitive, but something to think about.

8. CampingCindy

CampingCindy New Member

Mar 25, 2012
    If a hard sided popup weights almost as much as a travel trailer, and has about the same amount of room, what's the bonus to a popup? Just the lower clearance?

9. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Jan 31, 2006
    There's a HUGE difference in gas mileage between a popup and a travel trailer.

10. highside pup

Feb 26, 2012
    My 87 Palimino pulled like any pop up, didn't seem heavy at all, I now have a larger highside that is heavier but still pulls great. TT's have a blunt front that saps milege ALMOST as bad as 5th wheelers ! Keep low if you can mileage will be way better.

11. jaycobug

jaycobug New Member

Mar 30, 2012
    I guess I'd go with the canvas if it's easier to put up!

12. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 New Member

Feb 9, 2011
    Personally, I prefer soft sides as it's pretty much 360* windows to the great outdoors. Hardsides make me claustrophobic, and I don't feel like I'm camping. I'm a long time tent camper and loved everything about tent camping except for the sleeping on the ground part....a soft sided p'up is the perfect alternative for me.

13. volkster

volkster Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Winona Lake, IN
    I've had both now. I find my Palomino hard side MUCH easier to put up and down. No kneeling down and cranking, stopping on the way down to tuck canvas in, no reaching up and fastening/unfastening the door (while it opens from the door frame and hits me in the head), no trying to get the canvas to attach to the door frame... It's better insulated for heating and cooling. Also I feel much more secure, once the sides are in place, there is no way that the roof can just come crashing down on me and my family.

For canvas, there are bigger windows, which I do miss.

Do all Palomino hard-sides have the exterior lift mechanism? That would be another thing to consider the pros and cons of.

14. highside pup

Feb 26, 2012
    My TTL 1987 had the outside lifting arms, while I could do it in 87by myself, I sold it 17 years later as I then needed help. I went to a powered up highside. I miss the hardside and felt more secure and warmer on cold trips

15. Miller Tyme

Miller Tyme N. Fond du Lac, Wis.

Palomino started using the crank pulley system somewhere around the 1990 models. Before that, they had 2 different lift arm set ups.

Still miss my '85 MXL...... [V]

16. jeicher

jeicher Member

Sep 17, 2011
    My 16 ft Aliner weighs 1200 lbs loaded and another reason I like the hard sides is the added security. Sometimes we just pull into a Walmart or Cracker Barrel for the night and don't unhook from the toad. The A-frame design reminds me a bit of tent camping because of the pointed shape. I also have a small non-folding (rectangular) travel trailer but the Aliner is so much easier towing plus much, much better gas mileage.

[​IMG]

17. Steve A

Steve A A bad day camping beats a great day at work!

Jul 9, 2010
    How Apaches do it:

[​IMG]

18. volkster

volkster Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Winona Lake, IN
    ^ The caption made me kind of nervous to watch the illustration, LOL

19. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

May 20, 2008
    Seattle, Washington
    I love my TrailManor, which is a form of hard-sided pop-up. It is low so there is no wind drag like there is with a travel trailer. It pops up mush easier and faster than a pop-up tent trailer. I can raise the shells, set the door and configure the inside in 8.5 minutes. Or course, like any other trailer, I have to do all of the leveling and coupling/uncoupling stuff. Once it's up I have all of the convenience of a regular travel trailer, including the security of hard sides.

20. Charley

Charley New Member

Aug 13, 2011
    I put a lot of time into this decision. We ended up purchasing a 74 Apache Ramada. Because Apache no longer makes these so you have to purchase vintage. Anyway I'll make this brief, here's the reasons we purchase hard side.

1. Great large windows with plexiglass and screens that help with noise reduction.
    2. Some campgrounds will not allow canvas popups in bear country and we plan to camp in those areas.
    3. Feel more secure
    4. No wet canvas to deal with.
    5. No canvas replacement to deal with.
    6. Construction and engineering with the Apache is top notch.

Cons
    1. The Apaches don't have any slides
    2. We had to buy old, so we have some TLC to get the camper up to snuff