Canvas water proofing

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Mo8414, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Mo8414

Mo8414 New Member

So I picked up a gallon of canvak at cabelas because it was the only thing avaliable locally.($40) I applied it with a 3 inch roller and made sure it saturated the canvas.

It took the whole gallon to do my popup which has a full and queen slide out so u can kind of picture how big it is. I applied it inside and out and thru the screen for the outside of the window covers.

It does have a strong smell so I made sure it was a nice sunny 90 degree day to apply it and left it open all day long so it could dry. A week later when I opened the popup again, the smell was gone so I was glad of that.

Yesturday I got to see how well it worked since it rained all day and all night and I'm quite pleased as it didn't leak at all, not even the seams which i never got around to putting seam sealer on.

Just wanted to put that out there since their isn't a whole lot online about real world experience with canvak.

Sjm9911 and Rik Peery like this.
  2. frolin

frolin Member

What's the year and make of your pup?

3. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

When I worked at NAS Cecil field Fl as a civilian, taking care of all the rental equipment, I ordered several 5 gallon buckets of tent preservative from army surplus , several of us planned to got on the Suwanee River, put our boats in and spend 4 days fishing, prior to that I took my old Army Surplus Pup tent ( with several patches) I set it up and sprayed the preservative on the tent, when it dried, I sprayed again, I did this 3 times. On the Suwanee 3 boats, six sailors , and 3 tents were set up, my old Pup tent looked like hell warmed over, it was ugly with the patches etc, and with two of us in it was a little crowded, we were the butt of a lot of jokes. The other 2 large and new tents had lots of room. Mine was the only one that did not leak a drop and we were snug and our clothes were dry. I can't say the same for the 2 new large tents, everything they had was wet including their sleeping bags. I just reminded them that you should not mess with a redneck swamp rat.

Mo8414 likes this.
  4. Mo8414

Mo8414 New Member

94 fleetwood pioneer avalon