Canvas yardage

Discussion in 'Canvas / Awnings / Add a Rooms / Tarps / Tents' started by Mamie, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Does anybody know approximately how many yards it takes to do a canvas? My canvas is okay I guess with a few tears and the zippers don't close, but it will eventually need to be replaced and I can't pay $1000+ to buy one. I was thinking if I'm still around, I might be able to find somebody local to sew one up, but that depends on the cost of the fabric and the labor. I have other issues to take care of, but it's good to know what the long term costs will be. TIA.

2. tzmartin

tzmartin Active Member

Sep 9, 2015
    I've always thought there might be a good alternative to heavy bulky canvas. I'm not a fabric working guy but wouldn't it be nice to have a light, nylon tent material as a replacement? There are some newer popups that have nylon but an after market, easy to install replacement might be an opportunity.

Mamie likes this.
  3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

May 7, 2013
    Eastern Idaho
    If windows need repairing, I have heard of people having them replaced/repaired at boat shops. Still need to remove the side(s) from the trailer to take into them. And I also believe if the canvas is ok, but the windows are starting to rip at the zippers, some of the canvas shops like Idaho Canvas may repair if sent to them for considerably less than a complete new set.

4. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    I found a cheaper alternative to Sunbrella - WATERPROOF CANVAS- https://www.fabricwholesaledirect.com/products/waterproof-outdoor-canvas-fabric?variant=9913481667
    I am going to order some swatches and compare them to what's on there now. From the reviews I've read so far, it is easier to sew and people are using regular machines. It is pvc coated canvas and one of the good things about it not being as heavy as marine grade vinyl is it will fold and store easier.

I don't know what shape the awning is on my camper or the size, but this works for awnings too.

I've seen where people repair and patch the canvas, but I didn't think about just replacing a section of the canvas. Living on the coast, there are a lot of boats.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The yardage is going to vary greatly, depending on the size of your pup, windows, window flaps, any push outs, etc. etc. The width of the fabric you chose will also make a difference, as will how efficiently you lay out all the pattern pieces.
    We were originally going to make the replacement canvas for our first (tiny) pup. We measured it all up, including windows, etc. I bought fabrics for it (most from Seattle Fabrics)- by the time we bought canvas (not Sunbrella), window vinyl, screening, zippers by the yard, and Velcro, it cost around $500 (that was 10 years ago or so). You might save some money if you have all of the calculating done and find great discounts, closeouts, and so on. In the end, the measured drawings got lost, the original canvas was long gone to the landfill, and we opted to buy the new canvas from Canvas Replacements. That cost under $900 for that pup, and I didn't have to stress my creaky joints nor any of our sewing machines. (We'd probably have used our Singer 201, which was a workhorse in its day.) The CR one was far better than we would have produced, and it turned out our choice of canvas would have been a bad one for tenting. It shrank - a lot - 4" minimum over a yard length. I can't imagine what would have happened if it's been sewn into the tenting for the pup.
    All those supplies didn't go to waste; we have a bit of the screening and window vinyl left. I used the canvas - washed and dried in sections - to make cushion covers for the dinette and bunk, bunk end skirts, and slip covers for the second pup. The screening was used in the doors of the pups, and a few uses at home. The zippers were used for the cushion covers; the Velcro for the first set of PUGs for the second pup, when we realized we needed to secure them under the roof edge.

6. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    I'm thinking I won't have to replace the canvas until next year. But that might not be necessary if I'm able to replace instead of repair tears which is mostly in the screen. I will also try to see if I can replace the zippers with Velcro.

7. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    I found another fabric that is lightweight and for tents like you wanted.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/4OZ-Waterp...var=411044498254&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

tzmartin likes this.
  8. sawdusty

sawdusty San Antonio

Nov 9, 2014
    San Antonio
  9. Mamie

Mamie Active Member

Sep 11, 2017
    Thanks. I won't be looking to redo my canvas for a long time, if I ever get to it, but I'll be trying different samples too like you did. At is point, it's the screen and the zippers in the bunkends that need to be repaired or replaced, but it seems futile to do that and not do a replacement.

There are a lot of boats on the coast, so I am going to try to find somebody that makes boat canvas's and see how much they will charge and they might know where to get the fabric cheap.

I've been looking at the way the canvas is made and the only big pieces are on the bunkends. Everything else is strips sewn together around the screens. If I keep making that canvas in my mind, I might talk myself into trying to do it down the road.

sawdusty likes this.
  10. Jacob McAbee

Jacob McAbee New Member

Feb 9, 2018
    Question first time pop up owner bought a 1993 Coleman Roanoke for $800 bucks all around solid camper it just has a lot of patches in the canvas and vinyl. My question is where is the cheapest place to buy a new canvas? Thanks

11. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Albuquerque, NM
    The two main places are Canvas Replacements and Bear Creek Canvas. Both have similar reputations and prices. Contact both with make, model, year, and VIN for prices and options.