cassette toilet how does it work

Discussion in 'Port-A-Potties / Cassette Toilets / Bath Houses' started by 2001coleman, Jun 6, 2011.

1. 2001coleman

2001coleman New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Purchased a new to us Coleman Pop Up Camper
    It has a C4 cassette toilet i think looking at some pictures how does it work?
    I see blue water in the bottom of the bowl, there are two round things on the top one on each side looks like they turn.
    I am guessing i need to have the water pump turned on or the hose hooked to the camper.
    I have looked at the outside pushed they yellow tab down and tried to pull it out.
    What is the correct way to service this unit for and getting it ready to use.
    Thanks for your help
    Steve

2. dgeddes

dgeddes New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    The C4 needs to be filled with water, and you need to dump it when it gets full or at the end of the trip.

Here are the basics:

1. Fill with water by swinging out the fill spout. It will have a yellow cap on it and the spout will be vertical so that you can use a funnel, pitcher, or hose to fill it with water. There is a glass sight gauge that shows you when it is full. I would recommend only starting with half full and do not fill until you get to the campsite.
    2. Purchase some Toss-ins to throw into the tank to keep the smell down. These little things are like what you put in your dishwasher. I would not use my cassette toilet without them.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/aqua-kem-toss-ins/27121

3. There are 2 controls on the top of the toilet, one for rinsing the bowl (flush) and one for opening the valve and emptying into the tank. I think you can figure this part out!
    4. EMPTY IT WELL BEFORE IT IS FULL. I cannot say enough about this...you don't want it full..trust me. I have some rubber gloves I keep in the camper and use then when taking the cassette out to dump. To take the cassette out, push down on the yello tab holding the tank in and pull it out, carefully. Make sure the dump cap is on and the sliding valve is also closed (this is on top of the tank).
    5. Empty and dump at the RV dump. This part is self explanatory.

I know a few people that have a toilet in their PuP and never use it, but with a 4 year old it is nice to have.

3. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Aug 27, 2010
    Welcome, nice NTU Pup, you came to the right place. [8D]

4. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Welcome to the portal!
    We also have a cassette toilet and we like it a lot!
    (3 kids)
    Have fun camping!

5. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Washington, PA
    We have the cassette toilet in our pup and use it often. It really is a no brainer after you get the hang of things. Some use it only in emergencies and some don't use it for #2, but IMO we use it as needed and never have had any problems. Just make sure you use a quality chemical (aquachem) and never put anything in the fresh water tank as it will cause problems down the road. We only use the recommended toilet paper as it breaks down quicker than the home style. There should be a guage that reads green or red and when you get more red than green, it is time to empty. We simply take it out, go to the dump station, empty and rince out with fresh water and dump again. Place a cap full of the chemical with a small amount of water and you are set to go. I am pretty sure you have a thetford and there is plenty of info on their website. As for us, we would not have another pup without a toilet, we use it and are happy to have it. Good Luck [A]

6. bondo54

bondo54 Active Member

Aug 15, 2010
    My 97 Coleman Westlake has one. We have owned the camper for about 4 years and just used it for the first time this past holiday weekend. Why didn't I set it up to use it years ago? The 3am potty calls and not have to walk in the rain to go potty was great we will be using it from now on. [:)C] [CP]

7. 2001coleman

2001coleman New Member

Apr 26, 2011
    so the blue water is suppose to be there, and you don't have to have the water pump on or pup connected to a water source?
    Steve

8. bhustan

bhustan New Member

Aug 24, 2010
    The cassette toilet is a completely self-contained system independent of the water supply. Fill the clean water tank on top, and add chemical and a small amount of water to the black water cartridge and you should be good to go. The manual for my Thetford C4 says to "add a specified amount of chemical" to the fresh water, so I did that last time I filled. Not sure if that was a good move or not. Try to find the instructions for your model and follow them. Like others above had said, not sure why I waited so long to use this amenity. It's great, especially for the kids. Even the forbidden #2's weren't much of a big deal, as long as you follow the advice of emptying the tank and keeping everything maintained often. It adds a great dimension and convenience to PUP camping.

Good luck!
    -B

9. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Jan 13, 2011
    It has it's own water pump and water supply. One other thing I haven't seen anyone mention is that the flush lever must be in the closed position before you can take the cassette out ( or put back in ). If you try to force it with the flush valve open, bad things will happen.

Greg

10. angie_brown

angie_brown New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    South Central KY
    OK, I'm sure my DH can answer this, but I'm stubborn and won't ask him...

I'm camping for 4 days with DS & DD, while DH works and I need to know how to empty my cassette toilet at the dump station. Can someone give me the "pooh dumping for idiots" step by step instructions?? [:(O]

Thanks so much!!

11. LISA1969

LISA1969 New Member

Jun 3, 2011
    question is a cassette toilet the same as a portable toilet?

12. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Aug 27, 2010
    you undo the bottom part and dump it down a toilet or sewer line

13. hsuehwhite

hsuehwhite New Member

May 13, 2009
    San Francisco Bay Area
    i can't figure out how to upload the Thetford manual so send me your email address and i'll attach the PDF in an email. Mine is from a 1995 Coleman Niagara.

14. FC

FC Central Florida

Apr 2, 2007
    Apopka, Fl
    Welcome to the Potty....lol. Glad you found us.

15. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Apr 7, 2011
    Kind of, the portable toilet is that, portable, you can place it any where in the pup.
    Cassette toilet is fixed in a place, you just removed the little holding tank and dump it in the sewer hole or a campground toilet. :)
    We liked ours very much! [;)]

16. Sushidog

Sushidog Member

Jan 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    When you swing out the spout on the dump tank, remove the yellow cap (you will notice a measuring cup for adding chemicals) there is a large button on the top of the dump tank that needs to be pressed to allow air in. This prevents gurgling and splashing when dumping in your nearest toilet bowl. Remember to flush while dumping so the waste doesn't back-up in the toilet bowl and possibly overflow. I always rinse the tank after I get home, for a thorough cleaning.

Also remember not to try to close the toilet valve with toilet paper caught in between - look before you flush. If the plastic components get off track (by trying to force it closed when something is preventing it), the valve will not close properly thereafter, necessitating a messy disassembly and a simple repair - which I've done a couple times as DW makes a mistake sometimes and doesn't check before she flushes.

Chip

17. dgeddes

dgeddes New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    In Texas you need to dump at the RV dump station with everyone else. If they catch you dumping in the park toilet they can get a little upset.

So, check the rules/laws of your state or campground.

18. Sushidog

Sushidog Member

Jan 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks for the head's up Dgeddes. I've been camping in Texas and dumping a porta potty or cassette into their toilets since the 70's and no one ever said a discouraging word (and the skies were not cloudy all day). [;)] The next time I'll ask before I dump. (Cause you don't want to mess with Texas!) [:D] [PP]

What do you do at campgrounds that don't have dump stations, like the Caverns of Sonora CG I stayed at last month? Since our little cassettes only hold about 3 gallons before we need to dump, we can't store it for long like the bigger rigs do. I guess it varies somewhat by campground and/or the hosts enforcement of the rules.

I can't see where it would hurt anything unless you were sloppy about it or tried to dump too fast, overflowing the toilet. Since things are already, shall we say, thoroughly "homoginized" when I'm dumping, it goes down easier and cleaner than a lumpy "direct deposit" would. How is it any different than dumping your, Uhh, load directly into the toilet, avoiding the metaphorical middle man? Of course there are those who sometimes miss the pot even with a direct deposit, so to speak, or who fail to flush. [:(O]

I could see if they are trying to avoid introduciing toilet chemicals into the septic system, but the dump station and toilets are usually tied together into a common holding tank or reservoir anyway. Do they also have a similar rule about nightly pee-cans that tenters frequently use?

Chip

19. vjlarson

vjlarson Active Member

May 31, 2011
    I take it you don't have a manual for it? What kind is it? There are manuals online and maybe you can find one for yours.

20. dgeddes

dgeddes New Member

Nov 13, 2010
    Hey Sushidog,

I'm referring to the State Parks..I would imagine if the campground is private or does not have a dump station then they may allow you to dump in a toilet. I'm not sure because I've only ever camped in the PuP at my own private property or at a State Park.

All of the TX State Parks have a sign that states all black water AND gray water must be discharged at the dump station. They're a little more lenient on the grey water, in that they probably won't say anything if you just run your grey water hose from your PuP to the ground.