Ceiling Repair for 87 Coleman Columbia

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Shale, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Shale

Shale New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    I have the ceiling down to the old foam and it appears to be no water damage. While removing the old ceiling the Styrofoam is now not smooth. I'm thinking of putting wall paneling on the ceiling. Would this work and if so, what adhesive should I use?

2. KRash89

KRash89 Member

Sep 30, 2017
    I just redid mine this weekend I used frp wallboard and liquid nail meant for it. I got everything at home depot, there was even little but joints to match seems

Attached Files:

3. Shale

Shale New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    Thanks for the info. Which liquid nails? There is like a zillion choices.

4. KRash89

KRash89 Member

Sep 30, 2017
  5. Shale

Shale New Member

Nov 11, 2018
    It looks great. I'm using a wood paneling. How did you put your cross beams up? My ceiling is sagging a bit.

6. KRash89

KRash89 Member

Sep 30, 2017
    The crossbars bolted into brackets on the side. They are the braces for an optional a/c

7. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    KRash that looks GREAT! Nice job. It took only a weekend? Or one weekend to remove the old gunk, plus another weekend to put on the new?

8. KRash89

KRash89 Member

Sep 30, 2017
    It took a couple hours to take apart the old ceiling and gunk.. it came out pretty easy. I did it on a friday night, and was completely done with the project by sunday night. With the frp boards being thinner than the original it slid into the roof channels fairly easy.

9. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    So you didn't have to un-bolt and re-bolt the cross pieces? That would help a LOT.

10. KRash89

KRash89 Member

Sep 30, 2017
    I took the cross pieces out completely, I dont know how your system works but mine is just 4 bolts and the bar comes out. it only weighs about 20 pounds. if it works the same way you can prolly just loosen the 4 bolts and once it separates just push it out of the way

11. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

May 8, 2018
    Central Florida
    I think my cross piece may have pop rivets instead. I don't like pop rivets. Have to hacksaw them off, they won't loosen like a bolt.

12. KRash89

KRash89 Member

Sep 30, 2017
    i had rivets for the door channels, but my crossbars go all the way to the metal channels on the side