Center seam sealing on Aluminum roof & corner caps?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by lkc, Nov 16, 2017.

1. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    Hello all--I have a NTM 2004 Fleetwood Yuma and am just starting to take care of a few maintenance issues & I have a few more questions. It has an aluminum roof with ABS corner caps. Two of the caps have smallish cracks in them & I'm going to use some JB Weld on those areas. I was thinking about replacing two end caps but the cracks are not that severe and the caps are @ $45/each.

1. I need to clean/scrape off old sealant around the ABS caps & reseal. I'm thinking of using Eternabond tape around the caps to ensure no water intrusion. Do I need to add a bead of Dicor sealant around the perimeter of the Eternabond or are the edges completely watertight after pressing the tape down?

2. The center seam vinyl piece that goes in the narrow metal track is missing in several places and has @ 3-4 screws that need to be replaced. What is the vinyl strip called and does it just press into the narrow metal track? or . .

Has anyone put Eternabond tape over the entire length of the center seam?

This unit is in pretty good shape and was stored outside but covered by the PO--does not appear to have any leaks, just some old caulking and a few brittle molding pieces and things to take care of---at least that is what my pre-inspection noticed---I tried to be very thorough and look closely at many things before purchasing.

TIA for any info!

2. myride

myride Member

May 14, 2015
    Cant answer the corner cap issue but if your not planning on using the tracks (I suggest you don't, nice to have been an option but I'm from the school....less flex is best) then there are a couple of ways to deal with it. colemanpopupparts.com had the vinyl strip last time I looked. I removed my runners....cleaned the area really well. Then used butyl tape (same stuff as what they use to seal a roof vent), replaced the screws with "proper screws"....they used metal screws on aluminum....doesn't work the two materials counter act one another...use stainless screws. Once the track was secured down I filled the channel with dicor self leveling compound and calked the inside and outside edges where the strip contacts the roof itself ( I know...clear as mud).

Too many horror stores of this being a point of leakage is the reason for "over doing it" and NOT using the tracks as a form of bike rack or carrier....less flex is best IMHO.

3. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    I think we're talking two different things---I also have a roof carrier basket that is mounted on tracks, but that's not what I'm asking about. I'm not planning on putting hardly any weight in the basket and I was also thinking about running eternabond tape all around the edge of the roof carrier basket tracks.

I'm talking about the narrow metal track that runs down the center of the roof seam that holds the skinny pliable vinyl molding---I don't know what that molding is called and wondered if anyone had just run eternabond tape over the entire vinyl molding and metal track down the center seam.

4. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Active Member

Nov 25, 2016
    Chicago suburbs
    I redid that same metal strip down the center of our PUP roof. My local RV dealer had the vinyl strip, the clay strip that you lay down under it, and the caulk in stock all at equivalent or even slightly cheaper prices than I found online. Surprising! I removed it all, scraped and scrubbed it clean, layed down the new clay stip, screwed down the metal channel, caulked down both sides of it, and finally put the new vinyl strip in the channel. I even wanted to buy a new metal channel (so it would be white, not scratched up) and it was only like $30 - but the shipping was going to be like $100 because they don't want to bend it!

5. lkc

lkc Member

Jun 5, 2017
    Colorado
    anyone put eternabond tape down the entire center seam?

6. ArizonaJoe

ArizonaJoe New Member

Oct 18, 2017
    I filled in the entire length with Dicore. Seems to seal pretty good

7. Arruba

Arruba Member

Nov 28, 2014
    Central Oregon
    On my trailer, no not yet but will. On the edge seam of my Tioga Motorhome, yes. The short story is the rubber roof developed a wear spot or tear at the edge of the trim on the street side roof edge. Pulled the trim and ran 4in, (I think), Eternabond the full length of the roof on both sides down the side wall, even with the side trim, and out a couple inches from the trim on the roof.

Specific to your pup, It has been done, and somewhere on here are some photos of people using it. To caulk or not, if you go wide enough and roll it very well, caulking may not be required but wouldn't hurt. The stuff is REALLY sticky and be prepared to be patient to get it laying flat. If your pup roof is slightly textured like mine, get a good roller to force it into the dimples well. If you're unaware, there are YouTube videos showing some of the tips to using it.

Good luck and hope this helps...