Change our own tires - or take it to a tire place?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by lionjill, Sep 16, 2018.

1. lionjill

lionjill New Member

May 31, 2005
    our Dutchman needs new tires. How hard is it to change them? Does my husband use a jack like on a car? Or should we go to a tire place and have them do it?

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Oct 15, 2006
    Graceville, Florida
    I always take mine to a tire shop to get them changed and BALANCED at the same time. the cost is minimal also request new valve stems be installed too.

PopUpSteve likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2018
    Nj
    If owning a pup , learn how to change the tires. It can only help down the road!

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. I take my wheels off the camper, take them to the shop for tire mounting and balancing, then put the wheels with new tires back on the camper. I also torque the lug nuts.

5. rover rob

rover rob New Member

Feb 5, 2018
    I remove,mount and balance my own at home. however I have a 20x30 barn with a complete auto shop. I restore cars as a hobby.

Rik Peery and Raycfe like this.
  6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    Anchorage, AK
    I did a dismount and remount on a PUP tire/rim once using prybars and stuff. It's a pain, but you can do it. If you're into DIY, you can try. But the average person has two real options:

1. Tow the trailer to a tire shop, point at it and say "replace the tires on that". They will, and will charge you for their time.

2. Take the wheels off the trailer, take the wheels to the tire place and say "mount new tires to these please". They will, and will likely charge slightly less than option #1.

If you already have new tires, you should take them with you in either case.

There's a third option which is to buy new tires mounted to new rims already. It comes complete. You can remove the old, put on the new in the driveway. More expensive, and you end up with a wasted rim, but also doable. Just be sure you get the correct size and bolt pattern no matter which way you go.

Good luck!

7. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Oct 3, 2007
    Waterford, Ct
    Get tires with wheels would be my first choice, then you will have spares to put on the trailer when in storage.
    If you just get tires ......... you take the tire/wheels off .. that way you know how to do it, can clean up the drum, check the lug nuts and retorque the lugs so you can get them off again. I wouldn't let anyone with an impact gun near any of my car, truck, or trailer wheels.

JiffyPopJunkie and Snow like this.
  8. fourhallatts

fourhallatts Active Member

Jul 18, 2015
    North Syracuse, New York
    When we need new tires my dh jacks up the pup, takes the tires off and we take them to a tire shop. They put the new tires on, balance them and dispose of the old ones. As far as I am concerned it is money well spent.

xxxapache and kcsa75 like this.
  9. arthuruscg

arthuruscg Active Member

Nov 14, 2012
    The benefit of taking just the wheels and tires to the shop, is that you can drop them off in the morning and pick them up later without towing the trailer or if your DD is not your TV.

With the cost of 12" wheels and tires, it's cheaper to buy a set then to have tires mounted on your wheels.

kcsa75 likes this.
  10. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    East Central MN
    I do all my own stunts, I mean work around the yard on our random fleet of cylinders. I NEVER touch tires. They all go in and I have a manual tire changer - I use mostly for lawn mowers.

Sure, I can do it, but they will get the tire centered or balanced on the rim. If you don't own a jack and stands, bringing them in is a winner! Brought the TT tires in once at a time - didn't want to leave it on wood blocks or stands that long!

11. michaeltdyer

michaeltdyer Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Denver Colorado
    I second the folks who say pull the wheels off and bring them to a tire shop. I put my trailer on jack stands and took the tires off the trailer and took them into the tire place and they replaced them and balanced them. Not very expensive at all. I did use a torque wrench when mounting them back to ensure they were tight, but not too tight. I went with 90 lbs, check the specs on your trailer.

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    So far I have just bought tires from Northern Tool. I can usually catch them on sale or use a coupon. For my size tire I just get the ones that come with a rim. Just make sure they are aired up and swap them out in the driveway. I typically spend $60-80/tire.

13. GatorChamp44

GatorChamp44 Member

Mar 16, 2017
    maybe a stupid question but do you just leave the pup on jack stands and/or the stabilizers?

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Santa Clarita, California

NEVER use stabilizers to raise camper to change tires, or to take tire off to take to tire shop... Stabs are used to keep camper from shaking too much. The frames under the popup are not designed to hold up the popup with stabs down. If the frames are designed to hold up with stabs, go for it but there is not ONE popup that can rely on stabs for tire changes.

15. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2015
    DFW, TX
    I simply go buy the spare and come back and swap out in the driveway. I use a scissor jack from an old pick up truck since most trailers do not come with a jack. Bottle jacks work well too. I generally find that I need to add a couple lynx blocks under the jack in order to get a decent height so I can swap the tire.

16. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Active Member

May 23, 2018
    South Carolina
    Camper is connected to the truck with park brake on. Camper is raised with a floor jack and a jack stand is then used to support camper. Jack moved to the other side and repeated. Tires are then taken to the local tire shop for the swap.