changing tiny trailer springs for something...better?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Jayson44, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Jayson44

Jayson44 New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    we recently purchased a new Rockwood 1640esp pup and we love it. the lift gives it a better chance at life off-road, and that's good because of where we like to go with our Jeep. but looking at the suspension, it seems to me that it's mostly a gimmick lift to just make it look badass...

the leaf springs are pretty tiny...not very wide, and only about 2 feet in length. seems like over the long haul, these will eventually fail or cause issues if we actually take this thing off road on trails and not just dirt roads.

has anyone cut off their stock leaf springs and put in something beefier? I'm thinking I could find a setup for a Jeep YJ or CJ for decent cost and weld in new perches and hangers. they'd be wider and longer, and maybe give a better ride? I'd maybe even think about shocks at that point. I'm just thinking that a few years down the road those little ones will be hurtin...

thoughts?

J.

2. Tronicus

Tronicus New Member

Jun 3, 2018
    keep in mind those springs are for something roughly half the weight of your jeep. Once you do a few offroad adventures with it, and see how it performs, THEN i would evaluate whether or not I needed to upgrade the suspension.

3. Jayson44

Jayson44 New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    agreed. gonna test them first and see. the CJ springs would fair pretty well as the old Jeep CJs were around 2600-2800lbs. our camper is 1680lbs dry. probably be a little stiff, but I could always find some used ones that had been flexed out a bit. :)

J.

4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2018
    There should be a lift/Jeep/truck suspension shop somewhere near you. Best place to get the leaf springs and good advice for what you’re thinking. That’s what those guys do. Congrats on the new pup!

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2011
    Elkins WV area
    Keep in mind that when going to a heavier spring you are putting a lot more stress on the pup. You will find that it bounces more because of no spring give. That's when things start to break apart

nineoaks2004 and Fbird like this.
  6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    The leafs that are on it are designed for it.
    They simply do an axle flip and bolt on the all terrain tires when it comes to the dealer.

Jeep springs would be too stiff and the trailer would probably bounce all over.

7. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2016
    I hammer my pop up pretty good. The springs are fine but I wish I had shocks to dampen the bounce. It’s lifted with larger tires. BB536923-5171-43B2-A464-A4E275314D42.jpeg

Jayson44 likes this.
  8. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2018
    WV
    I've considered shocks too.
    My sons trailer has shocks on it, makes it tow really well

9. Jayson44

Jayson44 New Member

Jul 17, 2018
    so you guys think the stock springs will be fine?

J.

10. ad_bfl

ad_bfl New Member

Sep 7, 2011