Changing Tires

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Mattda, Apr 15, 2019 at 7:47 PM.

1. Mattda

Mattda New Member

I need to replace my tires but not sure how to keep camper off the ground. Manual says to place jack on the frame. So should I use jack stands in all 4 corners of the camper? I'm afraid of warping the floor so I'm not sure of the proper way to do this. Thanks

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Probably no need for stands on all 4 corners. Unless you are removing all the tires, then it might be a good idea.

3. Mattda

Mattda New Member

I forgot to mention I'm replacing all the tires at a local tire store so both need to be removed.

4. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Member

Id do one at a time if it were an option then there is no need to have it lifted like that. You could do say the left side and the spare, then replace the left side with the new tire, jack up the right side and put the spare tire on, go back and get the last one done and use it as the spare. This way you only need one jack stand and a jack.
    If you did feel inclined to do all three at the same time id try to keep the jack stands closer to the axial, maybe a third of the way from the front and back for stability and minimizing frame flex and use the frame rail that the axial is mounted to. Id also lower the stabilizers after it was jacked up just for redundancy..not necessarily taking any weight off but its 4 more points on the ground.
    Just my .02

Blackripley and Mattda like this.
  5. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

I would put a jack under the axle* and lift it just enough to get the tires off and then put jack stands under the axle(s) near each tire location. That will keep the weight distribution and balance the same as if the tires were still on. There should be no warping at all. The trailer won't know the difference between tires and jack stands since all the weight is being carried by the axle as designed. I did this when I replaced both my tires last year.

You could also put some blocking or use stabilizers if you have them at the rear of the camper to keep it from tipping up, but that really shouldn't be a problem.

*If you can easily access the axle with a jack, that is.

Blackripley likes this.
  6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

This is what I do.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You could buy 2 tire assemblies (tires already mounted on rims) then you would only have to jack up one side of the trailer at a time to change them... Oh and you should buy 3 assemblies, so you can replace the spare tire as well.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

This is how I handled my dual axle TT last year:
    Remove one tire, put on the spare. Remove second, slowly let axle assembly down on a block of wood. Jackstands used under axles only, not under the frame or corners.

9. TheBlurb

TheBlurb New Member

I just replaced my tires with new ones mounted on new rims. With the sale price, cost was about the same, or lower, as tires alone. Avoided the headache of bringing all existing wheels into the shop.
    As for raising the trailer, I tend to agree with my Jayco manual, which strongly suggests avoiding jacking by the axle: "The camper alignment can be altered causing excessive tire wear."

xxxapache likes this.
  10. GreyFox

GreyFox Active Member

Would help if you told us the make / model / year of camper you have but that said if the owner's manual says to place the jack under the frame then that's what you should do. I'd agree with those who say don't just install new tires on the old rims, it's usually no more costly to install new rims with the tires already mounted on them as you won't be paying a shop to remove the old tires and install new ones on the old rims. Since you're changing just one wheel at a time it also addresses your concern as you'll just be lifting one side of the trailer at a time.