cheap a/c 'ice chest" make..??

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by landon6062, Jun 24, 2018.

1. Mogimus

Mogimus Active Member

Just thought i'd share ;)

landon6062 likes this.
  2. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

Awe you are so kind....Thanks Mogimus.. you always looking out for me and I SO appreciate it. : )

That might work, looks good.... but I am wondering what the "CFM" of the fan is.. that is what Truly makes the difference.

I THINK I have a design in mind, One using a DUCT FAN, (if I can find one that quiet enough) and DUCT FLEX aluminum tubing.. "like for a dryer" Basically it COOLS the aluminum tubing inside and it might cut back on the MOISTURE that is put in the air..

I'll let you know how that works, but I have to order the parts and it might take awhile before I can get it together..

3. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

landon6062 likes this.
  5. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

It is the fan he used.. but it uses it with a 12v battery..I am guessing that has something to do with BOATS. he was using it in his car..

I needed one that will plug in.. 110, 20amp. (correct?)

I am looking at one of two on "amazon" or "lowes"..

I'll have to check with my "hubby" before I purchase, he knows things. as I said. I am the grunt, he is the brains.... lol... to see which one might work best.. "QUIET is really the issue right now"

Of course, as I have learned the higher the "cfm" the noisier they get..

Lowes: https://www.lowes.com/pd/SUNCOURT-Inductor-6-in-Dia-Galvanized-Steel-Axial-Duct-Fan/1000018191

The one from Amazon, claims to run quiet...

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7S46YZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2PQGFJXAT8J9K&psc=1

Again I am not certain which one is best.. I need to get my hubby's input. : )

6. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I think I mentioned that I do a lot of things that are not common to most.. IF I can fix it.. I DO..(right or wrong LOL)

BUT I don't usually play around with anything electrical.. My determination is driving me on this one.. I am going to find a solution to the heat one way or another.. LOL

So this is a BIG Learning experience for me..

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Most of these ice chest coolers are marketed to boaters and pilots. A small Cessna has no cooling on the ground. They use these to help cool the cabin before they get ready to take off.

Most larger pups came standard with a 13.5k btu unit with 15k as the option.

I have a portable that I will be working on installing this week or next to help supplement mine. Just need to figure out how to exhaust the air. I will be running a dedicated power line to it though.

landon6062 likes this.
  8. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Sneezer.. nice to meet you. : )

I would be interested in what kind of Portable did you find?

I have seen a few small ones.. but they mostly create a cool Mist and I was a bit concerned about that in a PUP.

Perhaps you found a small one that has an exhaust?

.. I know the "ZERO BREEZE" can come with an exhaust.. but well.. 600 is kinda of out of our budget right now.

And then, finding a place for the exhaust and stability for it to sit on (assuming we are talking small) was a question that I had..

Oh and we do have a a/c in our PUP, but it isn't able to do much in these 100 degree days.. We are making the chest cooler/ac as supplement.. Perhaps even use it outside under the awning.. when needed..

9. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Sjm9911 and landon6062 like this.
  10. DigitalGuru

DigitalGuru Active Member

Hello. I just read this thread and had my own [2C] to add. I'm assuming the A/C unit you have is the standard/OEM version. If so, it's most likely 13,500k BTU (maybe 15k since this is one of the largest campers on the market). When you are trying to cool the interior are the curtains pulled closed over the bunk ends? If not, they should be. Our pup has a privacy curtain that makes the interior smaller. We pull/close this curtain until it's cooled enough, then pull it back. We also use 2 of the flexible cutting boards above the A/C vents to direct that air downwards. And have an oscillating fan. The gizmos/reflectix will make a huge difference, but cooling the bunk ends is very tough. Keep the bunk curtains closed during the day if possible.

Sjm9911 and landon6062 like this.
  11. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI Giadiep.. appreciate the input : ) HEY hopefully that will work for some one...

As portable go, that isn't a bad one..

I can tell you that I own two Portables A/C in our home, to supplement our a/c.

"THEY WORK GREAT." .

Now, I don't know about this one..

But ours are heavy, bulky, cumbersome, just not easy to move around even though they have wheels. And they can leak water if leaned the wrong way..

I am a woman, and I am looking for ways that I MIGHT could travel a lone.
    But even if my hubby was with me.. I doubt very seriously if we would even consider carrying one of those for our PUP.. too heavy and bulky..

I certainly have to be concerned about weight, where some may not.. ( with their big bad trucks lol)

The COOLER a/c can double as a COOLER as well.. I love things that do DOUBLE DUTY..

AGAIN thanks for the INPUT.. surely it will be a helps to some.. Just won't work for me : )

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
  12. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI. DigtalGuru.. nice to meet you.. HI from South Carolina..

Yes we do have an a/c.. but the HEAT is horrible in South Carolina, over 100 with the heat index... I hate to wait to FALL to take my PUP out.. I am pretty excited..

Anyway.. YES the curtains are closed, we have Reflextix in the windows ,and I have ordered the GIZMOS. IT is suppose to be here today.. Can't wait to see how much of a difference that will make..

Great idea.. I will do the cutting boards on the a/c vents.

Thanks for your input

13. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Totally understand about the weight issue and cumbersomeness (is that a real word?) of a portable unit. When I had my pup, I used a portable a/c unit like this because mine did not have a rooftop unit. It worked for me but our temps usually are in the high 80's low 90's and we try to find shady sites. We bought a hybrid instead, which has more rigid walls and less canvas and is easily cooled by a 15k btu rooftop unit. I use the portable unit to help cool the upstairs of our house.

landon6062 likes this.
  14. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

I certainly don't want to sound like I am complaining or not appreciative of all the input you guys are offering..

I truly AM..

This PUP is my baby.. and I am very excited to get out there in it.

We visited a Local camp ground this weekend to explore our options on camping.

.. I thought it was interesting that NOT a single PUP was onsite.

that might have been telling.. lol

Just to give you an idea of what I am dealing with:

According to the weather report. it is 86 degrees here right now.. and it says FEELS like 95, with the heat index

I decided to see what the thermometer says in the pup.. 106, that is with no a/c on of course..

With the a/c.. it usually cools to a wonderful 95 or so..

Still not comfortable enough for me to really enjoy camping..

Anyway I am sure the GIZMOS and the reflextix and the COOLER A/C will make all the difference..and I certainly would not have thought of that on my own..

Again thanks everyone for your great helps..

JPBar likes this.
  15. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

LOL.. you got me.. I made it up, oh I am good at that.. .. I meant cumbersome..

yeah those PACs work great in the house. And perhaps in a TT, or RV, but I got a PUP that I thought my vehicle could pull.. TO my surprise.. I have to count the weight of the PEOPLE inside the car..

To which I said OOPS....

" hubby you will have to drive an extra car to the site and bring our food". LOL

Thanks for the idea though.. I am sure someone can use it.. : )

16. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Hi Donna,

Even with the gizmos, I think a good plan of attack would be to close the curtains on one or both of the bunkends when you are running the AC. As others have said, the bunkends are tough to cool and it might make things cooler with just your AC if you make yourself a micro-climate within the PUP.

landon6062 likes this.
  17. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

HI MSMAC.. nice to meet you : )

Our children are all grown up now..

So we are very fortunate, not to have to use the OTHER bunk in the PUP.. I have actually thought I would put up.."insulfoam" wall insulation (lowes).. cutting off one of the bunks.. I think that might help too.. Because it does seem the majority of the heat is coming from the bunks..

I am still going to make that COOLER/AC.. as soon as my parts get in. LOL

I think it would be a nice addition even if I only use it under the awning..

18. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

How thick is the insulfoam? Like, will it fit under the bunk mattress when not in use or when the PUP is closed? (Just suggesting here that if it doesn't, you might not want to have yet another thing to lug around or to be in the way. :) )

landon6062 likes this.
  19. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

20. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

Sounds like a good idea then. [:D]